EM2WL Forums
Fitbit activities - nursing - Printable Version

+- EM2WL Forums (http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com)
+-- Forum: Progress (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Weigh In / Measurement updates (/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Fitbit activities - nursing (/showthread.php?tid=11820)

Fitbit activities - nursing - Nadoriel - 10-26-2014 04:54 PM

This doesn't really seem the topic for it. But I have no idea where to put it.

Anyway, apparently my fitbit didn't charge last night. So this morning, at work, my fitbit died right after I started and there was no way I could charge it.

According to the amount of steps I usually do at work (>12000) I usually burn around 2400-2500 calories in my work days as a nurse. BUT Fitbit has a nursing activity! LOL and I just checked, for 12h of work it burned around 2700 calories (for 13h of work I get 1h off which I usually really use it to just sit down and sometimes even sleep).

So I wonder what is more correct, counting only the steps at work (which obviously isn't correct), or using the activity which probably burns a little too much (I dunno, it just seems a bit overkill).

RE: Fitbit activities - nursing - mrsukyankee - 10-26-2014 05:07 PM

Well...are you doing more than stepping? Are you picking things up and putting things away? Are you folding or bending or whatnot? Because those small things over time burn calories more than just stepping. My guess is that you are doing all those steps plus major activity as well so burning more than just the steps.

RE: Fitbit activities - nursing - Nadoriel - 10-26-2014 05:27 PM

Well yeah xD not all the time obviously, but picking things from heights or floor, bending/squatting, turning people one side to another, lift them, hold them, force feed through a really thin tube (I seriously hate that thing, makes all my hand hurt) makes a big part of a my day. That's probably why these are the only days I really feel like eating above fitbit's TDEE. I know I burn more than just the steps. I don't know how much though. And I thought it was funny for fitbit having an activity with nursing included.

RE: Fitbit activities - nursing - mrsukyankee - 10-27-2014 04:45 AM

It is funny. But it's worth bumping up your calories just a bit to compensate and see how it works out. The worst that will happen is that you'll gain a miniscule bit of weight and then you know you bumped a bit too much.

RE: Fitbit activities - nursing - Nadoriel - 10-27-2014 07:43 AM

I will try!! The problem with activities is that you have to put a time frame. Since I work always 12h on a shift, I will always burn the same amount according to fitbit (wrong!). But still, I probably won't finish eating those calories back anyway, too sleepy when I get home. I just have a very good dinner and then bed most of the times.