EM2WL Forums
glad to be here - Printable Version

+- EM2WL Forums (http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: glad to be here (/showthread.php?tid=251)

glad to be here - nwcountrygal - 09-12-2012 10:12 AM

Hi all,

I'm 59, soon to be 60 in December. I am getting in the best shape I've ever been in and actually do feel much younger then I did 4 months ago. I've been a part of a fitness site for that long and have learned to eat properly, drink enough, or close to enough, water and have some sort of exercise routine. It was easy for me to adjust to the idea of eating enough calories to fuel my body rather than go with the vast majority that still think eating way under our bmr and working out like we are training for the Olympics is the "right" way to lose fat. But even though I knew the right way, I would revert back to 1200 (my bmr) although adding on my exercise calories most days. My head kept "thinking" too much and I would not stay with any number for more than about 2 weeks. Impatience. Anyway, I am hoping being here will encourage me to stick with it.

I read a post yesterday by kiki and it got through to me big-time. The main thing is to stick with this until I see the changes and they WILL come, I truly believe that because how else could it be working for so many women I see herehappy Denise

P.S. Just yesterday I went to my TDEE as calculated on both the Military Calc. and Scooby which turned out to be 1540 after minus 20% deficit.

RE: glad to be here - EvelynNoor - 09-18-2012 04:59 PM

Glad to see you here as well

RE: glad to be here - nwcountrygal - 09-18-2012 05:32 PM

(09-18-2012 04:59 PM)EvelynNoor Wrote:  Glad to see you here as well

Thanks Evelyn, lettin folks know you are here every chance I gethappy denise

RE: glad to be here - Lucia - 09-18-2012 11:48 PM

Hi there so glad you are here. I know the calculators will give the option of 20% but that deficit is too steep. We strongly suggest no more than 15% or 300 cals. We posted a study that showed the group at the 300 calorie deficit lost more bf than those at a 500 calorie diet deficit.. I love to eat so that was music to my ears.

RE: glad to be here - nwcountrygal - 09-19-2012 09:18 AM

I think the military calc. is set at 15%? I will check on that now, thanks for the heads up. I can hardly get in that many calories now but I'm learning to eat more earlier in the day and not have a bunch to eat later in the day or evening like playing catch-up! denise

(09-18-2012 11:48 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Hi there so glad you are here. I know the calculators will give the option of 20% but that deficit is too steep. We strongly suggest no more than 15% or 300 cals. We posted a study that showed the group at the 300 calorie deficit lost more bf than those at a 500 calorie diet deficit.. I love to eat so that was music to my ears.

RE: glad to be here - nwcountrygal - 09-19-2012 09:56 AM

Ok, with the 3 different "book" opinions on calculations, I ended up ok. My TDEE minus 15% is 1646 on scooby so my MFP settings are on 1600. I figure I am ok. I couldn't remember, honestly which calc I finally used, I think I just did an average of all 3 numbers I got or something.

Anyway, I hate all these dang numbers but at the same time, I don't want to work my butt off and not get the results I am expecting. I am already getting some after only about 2 weeks of regular weight-training.

thanks much since it is good to make sure what I'm doing, geeshnail biting denise

(09-19-2012 09:18 AM)nwcountrygal Wrote:  I think the military calc. is set at 15%? I will check on that now, thanks for the heads up. I can hardly get in that many calories now but I'm learning to eat more earlier in the day and not have a bunch to eat later in the day or evening like playing catch-up! denise

(09-18-2012 11:48 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Hi there so glad you are here. I know the calculators will give the option of 20% but that deficit is too steep. We strongly suggest no more than 15% or 300 cals. We posted a study that showed the group at the 300 calorie deficit lost more bf than those at a 500 calorie diet deficit.. I love to eat so that was music to my ears.

RE: glad to be here - Lucia - 09-19-2012 11:15 AM

Awesome! Please keep us posted.

RE: glad to be here - nwcountrygal - 09-19-2012 11:23 AM

Have you guys got any gals here my age, 59 or so? I notice many of you are younger and would love to meet some gals that do this "plan" that are my age. Seems that many of my generation don't want muscle, I never used to because I was afraid I would look like a man. Well, my research has taught me better now so yeah, I want to build muscle not just to look better but to protect my old bones and jointsbig grin

Plus the fact if/WHEN I succeed, I may attract some of my friends to want to do what I've done. I want to cry sometimes when I see how many my age have just given up and don't pay any attention to their bods. All they do is complain about this health issue or the other but they won't listen to any of my suggestions. Oh well, I guess my friends will just have to be younger gals when it comes to activities and things I love to do outdoors etc.

denise

(09-19-2012 11:15 AM)Lucia Wrote:  Awesome! Please keep us posted.

RE: glad to be here - Lucia - 09-19-2012 01:09 PM

Denise, I will pay closer attention to the friends on MFP, but I don't really notice the age too much. HarlenJen and Anitrasoto are 49 I believe and they are heavy lifters.

But you are so right, the sad thing is if your friends started right now they could take years off the look of their bodies. You are going to be an amazing example for them. Be sure to take pictures of your progress. That is what speaks volumes!

RE: glad to be here - nwcountrygal - 09-19-2012 03:28 PM

Thanks Lucia, I will get some photos taken to save for "goal" day since the ones I just took were too blurry. I know who harlenjen is and I will look up the other lady too, I sure appreciate your notehappy I feel sooooooooo much better since starting the bodyweight stuff and, although I've upped my calories to 1600 have not gained an ounce, not one that has stuck so only water weight on occasion etc. fluctuationswink

ttys, denise

(09-19-2012 01:09 PM)Lucia Wrote:  Denise, I will pay closer attention to the friends on MFP, but I don't really notice the age too much. HarlenJen and Anitrasoto are 49 I believe and they are heavy lifters.

But you are so right, the sad thing is if your friends started right now they could take years off the look of their bodies. You are going to be an amazing example for them. Be sure to take pictures of your progress. That is what speaks volumes!