Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
01-30-2017, 04:03 PM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
How exciting that you are going to move to the whole other side of the country! That's a big move! I bet it will be beautiful there.

Good idea to take a break and focus on other things for a bit. Check back soon!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2017, 08:03 PM
(01-30-2017 04:03 PM)Frosty Wrote:  How exciting that you are going to move to the whole other side of the country! That's a big move! I bet it will be beautiful there.

Good idea to take a break and focus on other things for a bit. Check back soon!

We've done it before! Indiana to North Carolina to Reno, Nevada back to NC and now to Oregon. And if that doesn't suit us, who knows?

So far, so good on the break. I am, of course, conscious of what I'm eating, but I'm not tracking or counting.
02-02-2017, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 11:54 AM by sheilawrites.)
I'm baaaack. Didn't make the whole week, but a few days without weighing or tracking was a good break. I did not calculate calories or macros during the 5 days, but I did write down what I ate, and I punched in the numbers this morning. My calorie intake on the days I didn't track but ate per inclination were 1777, 1766, 2200, 1485, 2101 - average 1865. My average for the week was 1890. My weight this morning was 150.4, the highest I've been, up 6# since I started. Happy Scale also shows a steady increase in my moving average. And, more importantly, my BP is up slightly over the past 3-4 weeks. So I feel I need to pare back a bit, but I don't know how much. I was eating 2100/day before I took the tracking break, and I assume the weight gain is based on that longer period of higher intake, not the few days of bouncing around.

Just for reference, my ultimate goal is to get down to 130. I'm not in a hurry to do that. I'm in more of a hurry to drop back to 140-144, which is where I was in Nov. when I started EM2WL. My "hurry" is not cosmetic, but health-related. My BP stayed at within bounds at that weight.

So how much should I cut? A 10% cut from my calculated TDEE would be 1778. I'm thinking of going to 1800 for a while to see what happens. Does that seem reasonable? Am I missing something here?

Past 2 weeks
1-17 148.8
1-18 148.8
1-19 149.4
1-20 150
1-21 148.6
1-22 149.2
1-23 148.2
1-24 148.6
1-25 149.2
1-26 149.6
1-30 --
1-31 --
2-1 --
2-2 150.4

BMR - 1274
TDEE - 1976
Average calories past week - 1890
02-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Hmm...I would say maybe go back and look at the last couple of pages of your journal, as I think there is some good advice there.

And maybe take another look at this? http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabol...set-guide/

Hope that helps a bit!
02-02-2017, 07:29 PM
(02-02-2017 05:18 PM)Frosty Wrote:  Hmm...I would say maybe go back and look at the last couple of pages of your journal, as I think there is some good advice there.

And maybe take another look at this? http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabol...set-guide/

Hope that helps a bit!

The advice is mostly to hang on at 2100 for a month or more, but with my BP rising that doesn't seem like a viable option.
02-02-2017, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 08:08 PM by Frosty.)
2 thoughts:

1. I was told by a nutritionist that when we start taking in more calories, there is more "volume" of stuff (food) flowing through our body. Plus, with more food comes more carbs, and carbs hold on to water. Both of those things can mean BP being a bit higher. The nutritionist told me this affect will go away. (Maybe after a couple of months or a few months, not sure?)

2. Have you tracked your sodium intake? I am realizing I need to lower mine. They say we should aim for less than 2000 mg a day.

So, you could try lowering your carbs and sodium. And drinking more water can help with water retention.

Maybe the experts can help you out here! I'd be curious to know what others say about this.

(Maybe you could find a local nutritionist or dietitian to help you out with this whole process?)
02-02-2017, 08:47 PM
(02-02-2017 08:05 PM)Frosty Wrote:  2 thoughts:

1. I was told by a nutritionist that when we start taking in more calories, there is more "volume" of stuff (food) flowing through our body. Plus, with more food comes more carbs, and carbs hold on to water. Both of those things can mean BP being a bit higher. The nutritionist told me this affect will go away. (Maybe after a couple of months or a few months, not sure?)

2. Have you tracked your sodium intake? I am realizing I need to lower mine. They say we should aim for less than 2000 mg a day.

So, you could try lowering your carbs and sodium. And drinking more water can help with water retention.

Maybe the experts can help you out here! I'd be curious to know what others say about this.

(Maybe you could find a local nutritionist or dietitian to help you out with this whole process?)

Yep, sodium is important and I do track. Usual recommendation is max 2300mg, ideal more like 1300. I'm usually around 1500 with occasional spikes (usually from eating out). I drink a lot of water. Good point about the carbs, though.

I have actually been to a nutritionist, although it's been several months. I might go see her again with a few questions.

I would love to hear from some experts. I was pretty much resigned to the weight gain, but do not want to risk my health and do NOT want to go back on BP meds. The fewer meds, the better, as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks for the help, Frosty!
02-02-2017, 11:59 PM
I wish I had some advice, but I wanted you to know I am reading, cheering you on.

No old roads lead to new destinations.
02-03-2017, 02:27 AM
I'm with Carley. This is medical and I've got no idea! But I'm cheering with Carley!
02-03-2017, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 09:17 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
Sheila, the best thing is to get in touch with your doctor and ask about the BP. You are not obese therefore it shouldn't make such a huge difference in normal conditions, but we don't play around with health. Also we know that you have been under stress (reset, the book, the move...) and hypertension and stress go hand in hand. Are on on medication?
As much as the reset shouldn't do that, medical conditions need to be looked upon closely. I would love to hear from Kiki about this. Would you mind reposting the question on the Facebook community? She will definitely address it and give her expert advice on it. Please post it there so we can follow up.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/