Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newbie Checking in with Numbers!
01-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Newbie Checking in with Numbers!
Hi Everyone!

I've been working my way into EM2WL for a few weeks. After posting in the My Fitness Pal forums, a friend suggested I post here for a little more help figuring out my numbers.

What makes things a little complex for me is that I'm doing a lot of low intensity cardio. I'm a runner and did the Runners World Half Marathon in 2013, but I haven't run in over a year. Before 2013, I'd had over 10 years of trying and failing to get back into running after a knee injury kept me off my high school track team my senior year.

I want to get back into running, but I started the year out of shape after a lot of health issues in 2014. I took Hal Higdon's Aerobic Base Training plan, adapted it for walking, and tweaked the numbers based on how many miles per week my fitness tracker said I'd done the two weeks before I made my plan.

Because of bad weather issues, no gym membership, and having to share one car with my husband, my walking miles are step-based. Based on data from my Garmin Vivosmart, I figured out the average steps I take in a mile (2250). I keep a baseline goal of 10,000 steps a day, and any miles I log are additional. Today is a 2 mile day, so I'm walking a total of 14,500 steps. My walking speed is moderate at 17-20 minutes per mile. I'm just under 5'3", so that's a decent clip for a short girl.

I also added in other low-intensity work to address issues I've had in the past: Pilates, Yoga, and a basic ballet class routine. Each of those addresses similar issues, but in different ways and different areas.

I do strength training using the New Rules of Lifting: Supercharged. I'm on Basic Level 1.

Cutback weeks are scheduled every 5th week, with miles going down by 75%, strength training is dropped, and other workouts are also dialed back.

Here are my stats:

Height: 5'3" (technically, I'm only 5'2.75")
Weight: 138

Next Week's Training Plan:

Sunday: Rest (10,000 step day)

Monday: 4 mile walk (19,000 step day), Yoga (30 minutes of hatha), ballet (50 minutes)

Tuesday: 3 mile walk (16,750 step day), Pilates (20 minutes, beginner/intermediate), Strength Training (30 minutes, NROL Beginner Level 1)

Wednesday: 4 mile walk (19,000 step day), Yoga (30 minutes hatha), ballet (50 minutes)

Thursday: 2 mile walk (14,500 step day), Pilates (20 minutes, beginner/intermediate), Strength Training (30 minutes, NROL Beginner Level 1)

Friday: Rest (10,000 step day), Yoga (30 minutes of hatha)

Saturday: 6 mile walk (23,500 step day), Pilates (20 minutes, beginner/intermediate).

Note: I do Pilates on my long walk day because I'd find myself going through my Pilates moves while I was stretching, even though I hadn't meant to. It felt like it was what my body needed. Yoga is scheduled on my Friday rest day because it feels like a perfect match for stretching my muscles 24 hours after a strength training session. Same thing as the Pilates - I found myself wanting to do it because of how my body felt.

Nutrition Numbers

BMR: 1310-1312
(Mifflin-St. Jeor puts me as 1310; using Scooby's calculator with MSJ selected, I'm getting 1312)

Activity factor: Based on discussions in the MFP forum, we're currently guessing at 1.9. This was tough to figure out because of the limited definitions for activity factors. I have about 10+ hours of low to moderate intensity exercise. Workouts are scheduled 5-6 days a week. For 5 days a week, I have a lot of workouts going. On my rest days, I still keep that baseline of 10,000 step goal, and those are the days I'm doing more around the house. I stay at home with my 2 year-old son, and our small house has 3 floors, so a day at home involves a lot of stair climbing. But, my workouts are all low-key. In a few weeks, I'll be transitioning into spring training, so the volume of my workouts will go down, but the intensity will go up. In March, I'll transition into a Couch-to-5K program, modified to include cutback weeks.

If the 1.9 activity factor is correct, here are my numbers

TDEE: 2494
10-15% cut: 2120-2244

I have MFP set for 2244 right now. I eat 6 meals a day and try to keep most meals between 350-375 calories (food is weighed for accuracy). My afternoon snack has more calories because I workout during my son's nap, and there is a bigger gap between afternoon snack and dinner. Other than that, I try to keep it consistent. I eat mostly whole foods and don't use a lot of condiments or sauces, but I still love food and have no problem having some ice cream at the end of the day.

Macros: 45% carbs, 25% protein, and 30% fat.

I tweaked that yesterday because 40:30:30 was giving me a really high number for protein (168g) and I was having trouble staying below my carb limit, even though I already eat low carb due to a gluten intolerance. At 45:25:30, my protein goal is 140 grams.

Looking back at my MFP data from earlier this month when I was logging exercise to make sure I would net above my BMR, I was usually around 1900-2200 food calories per day. From late December to mid January, I lost 17.5 pounds. I wasn't crash dieting because I knew about netting above my BMR at that point. The first 10 pounds came off when I wasn't even watching my food intake - I was just moving more.

Right now, my weight is hovering around 137.5-140.5. It's usually right around 138-139 from day to day. I'm okay with it staying there for a while. I know losing 17 pounds in one month was significant for my body and I'm fine giving it time to adjust. I'm actually fine keeping that weight so long as my body composition changes to being healthier. Lately, the tape measure has been showing gradual improvement in my problem areas and my clothes are fitting looser, so that's really encouraging.

I'm trying to figure out the best estimate for my TDEE and cut numbers. Even eating above 2120, I'm still getting very hungry at regular points throughout the day, but I'm not sure how to judge my needs based on the data I have.

Thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Michele

"Start by doing what is necessary; Then, do what is possible; Suddenly, you're doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Newbie Checking in with Numbers! - nineateseven - 01-29-2015 12:42 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Checking In/Lifting Question petstorekitty 3 4,791 10-05-2015 04:01 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
Wink Hi new to forum, would you mind checking my stats Penny 4 10,576 06-11-2013 02:35 PM
Last Post: Penny