Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
weights only? or combo?
01-03-2014, 04:50 PM
weights only? or combo?
hi,

so I am trying to turn some fat into muscle... (aren't we all) and i am wondering, do I HAVE to lift heavy weights, as I do not have them, my weights are 8 lbs, or can I just do lots of reps with 8 lbs. I usually do 25 reps and then 4 sets, and do a variety of arm, leg, chest, stomach, etc. I just really got back into this and I am wondering if that will do the trick of turning fat to muscle? Or does it HAVE to be heavy weights with smaller reps??

Also... I own a lot of Jillian Michaels dvd's of cardio/weights combo. Once upon a time I was VERY toned just by doing these. As I was also starving myself, the results did not last long, muscle faded away into fat... But what are thoughts about me resuming these videos while eating appropriately?

Or once again, does it HAVE to be heavy weights?

thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 08:36 PM
RE: weights only? or combo?
Body weight workouts would work as well...Nia Shanks has a whole program already lined out with suggestions for making each exercise easier or harder in resistance. If you don't want to add to your weight collection, that's what I would suggest.

You could also see if your local library has the convict workout book or some other body weight book for a preset program. An internet search might turn up something as well happy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2014, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 10:41 AM by jaeone.)
Hi Nicole, First of all it is impossible to turn fat into muscle and vice versa because they’re two entirely different types of body tissue with different types of cells. We must decrease the fat which covers the muscle, and at the same time build the muscle! Lifting heavy weights is basically lifting what's heavy for you! If the 8 lbs weights are what you have, use them. But you will eventually need to move up to heavier dumb bells as your body won't be challenged any more. As for as the Jillian DVDs most of hers are considered cardio, she does a lot of circuit training w/ lighter weights which is good also. The book "The New rules of lifting for women" is a great beginner routine and is good for at home workouts. Also there is an All pro beginners workout that's pretty good also.

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks guys for the great tips! I am a bit concerned about getting heavier weights mostly because I can't really afford to buy them. The 8 lb weights aren't so heavy... But will I still build muscle just the same if I just do a whole lot of reps with them? And thanks for the tips, LikeAGirl, I am going to try to hunt down those resources!
One more question, I did another post asking questions about TDEE and metabolism reset that no one replied to, I am wondering is it ok to try to build muscle while doing a reset? Or do I need to wait?
And then... Okay one more question, I used the scoobys workshop calculator to figure out TDEE and it said 2495 calories for me. That seems like a lot!!! I put 6-7 hours exercise because I do 1-2 30 min sessions of weights a week, 3 hour long vinyasa yoga classes, and usually 2 one hour long walks, as well as one 30 min Biggest. Loser cardio/ weights combo. I am also quite active around the house, cleaning, cooking, laundry.... I would say 1-3 hours a day of that! And at work it varies greatly because I work in a shelter. Some days a lot of sitting, some days a lot of packing rooms and hauling bags to and from the shed.... So... Was 6-7 hours the right choice for me on the calculator?

Thanks a bunch guys! I feel so lost as to where to start....
01-04-2014, 06:15 PM
(01-04-2014 06:06 PM)nicoles Wrote:  Thanks guys for the great tips! I am a bit concerned about getting heavier weights mostly because I can't really afford to buy them. The 8 lb weights aren't so heavy... But will I still build muscle just the same if I just do a whole lot of reps with them? And thanks for the tips, LikeAGirl, I am going to try to hunt down those resources!

You are only building muscle if you are breaking down what you have and then letting it repair. I think since the weights you have are already not that heavy, you won't really be building more on. Maintaining, but not building. Since you don't want to/have the money for more weights, the body weight workouts would be your best bet. You can adapt them to add more resistance, which will help you add muscle.

Quote:One more question, I did another post asking questions about TDEE and metabolism reset that no one replied to, I am wondering is it ok to try to build muscle while doing a reset? Or do I need to wait?
And then... Okay one more question, I used the scoobys workshop calculator to figure out TDEE and it said 2495 calories for me. That seems like a lot!!! I put 6-7 hours exercise because I do 1-2 30 min sessions of weights a week, 3 hour long vinyasa yoga classes, and usually 2 one hour long walks, as well as one 30 min Biggest. Loser cardio/ weights combo. I am also quite active around the house, cleaning, cooking, laundry.... I would say 1-3 hours a day of that! And at work it varies greatly because I work in a shelter. Some days a lot of sitting, some days a lot of packing rooms and hauling bags to and from the shed.... So... Was 6-7 hours the right choice for me on the calculator?

You can build muscle while in a reset...as long as you are at your TDEE or a bit above. As long as you have accounted for the activity and you aren't adding other activities in that are burning more than you are consuming.

You're TDEE is not really that high. Especially when you start comparing it to others that are your height, weight and activity level. Mine was falling in the 2600 range and I thought that was insane. I shot lower just in case it was wrong, and probably stalled myself out for about a month and a half because I was cutting to low. Most likely mine is closer to 2750 and I only discovered that by playing with my numbers and not caring about a lb or two more on the scale. Scary...but worth it happy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2014 07:08 PM by jaeone.)
(01-04-2014 06:06 PM)nicoles Wrote:  Thanks guys for the great tips! I am a bit concerned about getting heavier weights mostly because I can't really afford to buy them. The 8 lb weights aren't so heavy... But will I still build muscle just the same if I just do a whole lot of reps with them? And thanks for the tips, LikeAGirl, I am going to try to hunt down those resources!
One more question, I did another post asking questions about TDEE and metabolism reset that no one replied to, I am wondering is it ok to try to build muscle while doing a reset? Or do I need to wait?

Building muscle on a reset is the way to go!! Put those extra calories to good use!! No you don't have wait. If fact in the starter kit it is recommended!!

Joan

02-24-2014, 01:13 PM
I would do a combo of body weight exercises, weighted exercises, and cardio. Cardio (like running) burns a lot of fat, while also working to strengthen your legs and core. Good exercises for burning fat with weights is high rep, low weight weight lifting. Do individual areas such as legs(squats), chest, back, triceps, biceps, legs (lunges/squats), shoulders, abs for at least 2min each. Your legs are a lot stronger than you think and can handle a lot more weight than 8lbs, so I would suggest squatting at least 20lbs. It's important to switch up the weight you are using, because certain areas can handle more weight than others...if you are just starting out, 8lbs may be a bit much for you shoulders, especially since your shoulders get fatigued from almost every other exercise you do. I'm sure if you look up high rep, low weight weight lifting, a ton of great exercises will come up. But all 3 ways are great to burn fat and turn that fat into muscle!
02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
(01-03-2014 04:50 PM)nicoles Wrote:  hi,

so I am trying to turn some fat into muscle... (aren't we all) and i am wondering, do I HAVE to lift heavy weights, as I do not have them, my weights are 8 lbs, or can I just do lots of reps with 8 lbs. I usually do 25 reps and then 4 sets, and do a variety of arm, leg, chest, stomach, etc. I just really got back into this and I am wondering if that will do the trick of turning fat to muscle? Or does it HAVE to be heavy weights with smaller reps??

Also... I own a lot of Jillian Michaels dvd's of cardio/weights combo. Once upon a time I was VERY toned just by doing these. As I was also starving myself, the results did not last long, muscle faded away into fat... But what are thoughts about me resuming these videos while eating appropriately?

Or once again, does it HAVE to be heavy weights?

thanks!

When lifting Use weight that challenges you, but not so much that you are kicking and screaming on the first rep.

Joan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can I lift weights with lower back issues? cactusrose 4 4,782 11-03-2014 04:20 PM
Last Post: jsue6
  Weights? TammyFr 7 6,465 06-26-2014 03:46 AM
Last Post: SarahWeb
Wink standard size franctional weights??? nalie879 0 2,122 07-12-2013 09:41 AM
Last Post: nalie879
  Bulking with 'not so' heavy weights? MrsVtec 2 4,327 10-30-2012 09:16 AM
Last Post: Kiki
  HIIT after weights jyska 2 3,589 08-28-2012 10:21 AM
Last Post: jyska