Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to EM2WL--Help!
07-30-2014, 10:41 AM
New to EM2WL--Help!
Hello Everyone.

Little background on me. I have always been thin, 5'3" and around 125 pounds. Summer of 2013 I got down to 120 after gaining 13 lbs from being inactive. I ate whatever I wanted, drank, (stayed under 1000-1200 calories), did a few days of cardio and lost it within 2 months. I felt amazing! Now fast forward to August where 1 week at a family cabin introduced 10 pounds back. I then joined Crossfit for the next 6 months 4-6 days per week. INTENSE. And again, I stayed at a calorie deficit. Then come January, due to not seeing the progress I wanted to in weight loss I went paleo for 3 weeks (lost 3 pounds then stalled) then I went ketogenic, then carb cycling and the weight crept on...all staying at a very low calorie level. Needless to say the minute I changed my eating from whatever I wanted to SUPER clean, I gained 15 pounds within 2 weeks.

I have been to the doctor to figure out if I had a thyroid issue (runs in family) and of course I didn't. It just took me up until a couple months ago that I may have completely destroyed my metabolism by yo-yo dieting and doing crazy intense workouts! I understand that during this time at crossfit I gained a lot of muscle but I also looked much worse. I looked big. I gave up after crossfit and went back to my crash dieting (eating what I wanted) and moderate exercise and I just got pinched by a trainer I hired and since March I have only gone 1 lb up on scale but lost 8 pounds of lean muscle and gained 9 lbs of body fat (17% BF-26%BF)!! Needless to say, I am incredibly fed up and saddened by the fact that no matter what I do I cannot get to my ideal goal weight.

I found EM2WL a month ago and have been SLOWLY increasing calories from 1200, now at 1575 (about 100 calorie increase per week). I track everything in loseit religiously. I am always ravaging with hunger so it must be working. Only problem is 0 weight loss and have gone up 2 pounds. I dont know yet it if this is fat or muscle since it has been 2 weeks since I was last pinched but I am just curious if this is normal?
I never saw anything about weight gain when you first start in the tool kit; only mentioned weight loss.

My TDEE: 2214
-15%: 1831
Current Weight: 139
Current Calories: 1575 and eating back calories as long as I met protein requirement for day
Workouts per week: 3 HIIT, 1 Cardio, 1 heavy weight

Any thing on what I can expect from a weight gain perspective would be helpful, as well as any insight on to why when I decide to do right by my body it is going the opposite way of where it should go from eating this healthy!

I plan to more slowly increase calories but I am just feeling discouraged from constant disappointment. I know 139 may not sound like a lot but on my frame it is and none of my clothes fit.

Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
RE: New to EM2WL--Help!
Hi and Welcome happy

it might be worth reading a few threads and posts around the site because a scale gain is going to happen - and whilst most of its NOT fat it will show on scales Sad sorry to tell you this

but once you have reset and are eating your 2214 daily and not gaining then you can start cutting and losing BF

this is not a quick progress however

not trying to be down just wanting to explain it right out there!

but good luck welcome to the group - there are many of us resetting & cutting too so you are in good company - we will certainly help you along the way - all I can tell you is you are doing the right thing!

Sarah
07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you for answering I really appreciate it! So I think I may have gotten the concept incorrect. I thought by adding in the calories back slowly that you would avoid having any weight gain by are you saying that once you get to your TDEE and your weight stabilizes meaning you stop gaining, that means that that is your maintenance point and if you are continuing to gain that means that you're not at it yet?

I have read the books a few times now and I'm surprised that I missed that entire concept. So if I am going to gain weight by slowly adding them back then wouldn't make sense just to jump right to TDEE or will that just set me up for failure since I will be putting on a lot of weight quickly eating that amount?
07-30-2014, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2014 09:01 PM by Jennbecca33.)
Hi Calde055 and welcome to EM2WL! We are happy that you found your way here and are seeking out advice during your reset.

As Sarah said, the reset process is not quick and does require much patience! You are doing great at increasing your calories slowly. Increasing the calories slowly will help to minimize these weight gains, but it is completely normal for many to experience an increase on the scale throughout reset. Most of this can be attributed to water weight, not fat, but it can be disheartening to see the scale go up. My best advice would be to stay off that scale if the fluctuations are going to discourage you and just know they are expected. You just have to trust and know that you are doing the right thing for your body and your metabolism.

As far as the amount of gains, it is different for every person. We normally advise for you to increase the calories slowly to help minimize the initial gains, but if you would rather jump strait to TDEE, then do so knowing and expecting to have a larger jump on the scale. Your body is not used to eating that many calories yet, so it will react, but after you teach your body to eat at TDEE, it will stabilize and you will begin maintaining at your TDEE number. You want to eat at TDEE for a minimum of 8-12 weeks before you try introducing the small cut.

Also, I just wanted to mention that your TDEE already includes your exercise and activity for the day (assuming you picked the correct activity level when calculating it), so there is no need to "eat back" any exercise calories. So as you increase your calories upwards to that 2214 number, you do not need to eat any additional exercise calories.

I hope this helps to clears some things up for you! Be sure to post back and let us know how you are doing and of course if you have any other questions, we're here to support you! You'll do awesome! happy

MFP~ http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/jennbecca33/status

~My EM2WL journey~
http://eatmore2weighless.com/jennys-insp...ess-story/
07-31-2014, 04:10 AM
Calde555

from what I know - and my knowledge is still new big grin

Your TDEE is what you eat to maintain your current weight at your current exercise level

You have been undereating which thus causes your body to adjust this TDEE level lower ie its clever so it tries to do everything on lower cals that you give it - ie your actual TDEE now is lower than what it should be

The reset is where you tell your body you are going to give it the real TDEE amount of food - but in order to do this you are essentially eating over your current TDEE for a long enough period so that it trusts you

So if you actual TDEE is really 1300 say and you start eating at 2300 - that an extra 1000 cals per day that your body hasn't had before and it will cause a gain that's water weight, glycerin stores and sadly fat (I believe if you are weight training also muscle too)

Eventually after eating at the true TDEE of 2300 for the 8-12 weeks that is usually enough time for your body to accept that this is the amount of food it wants / needs and is going to be given - so things start to even out - it stops storing the extra cals and starts to use it correctly - therefore the gains start to slow down and eventually when your actual TDEE meets your true TDEE the gains stop

Does that makes sense? Its confuses with your bodies TDEE now and the TDEE it should be big grin

So by jumping straight up to the real TDEE of the 2300 means your body has no time to adjust and reacts by adding weights - adding a smaller amount per day / week means that the shock to your system isn't so big and your body semi adjusts as it goes along - but overall can take longer BUT the plus side you generally don't see large jump in gains too

So its totally up to you - I jumped straight up some did small amounts

All I can say is - yes you are going to see a gain - and usually in the first 4 weeks BUT also by that 4th week I felt amazing! it was like wow is this what I should feel like every day!! big grin So totally worth that extra 7/10lb I gained

This journey is such a mental journey - really read a few diaries and you will see we are struggled mentally way more! so you need to be prepared to gain some I would suggest if you can to avoid scales for a month and weight monthly until you see no additional gains for 1 whole month - everyone has ups/downs throughout the month as well

Make sure in this time upping cals to add the hard muscle exercises this means that you creating more muscle - muscle you have potentially lost eating such a low figure - the reason why - is muscle burns cals makes your metabolism higher which in turn burns MORE cals and helps with your cut!

Hopefully this helps a bit more - sorry my reply was so short I was on my phone and its harder to type

LOTS Of luck! start a journal and we will help you every step of the way!
07-31-2014, 09:37 AM
Thank you Jenn and Sarah for your assistance!!! This is definitely the most mental strain I have had to go through since I started my fitness journey. I must say I have been able to 100% dedicate myself to each fitness goal or diet that I have put myself on this last year but this is definitely going to be the hardest one to convince myself is right for me. I am out of options and out of solutions so I know this is worth a try but just to mentally put myself in a place that I will be adding more weight on and it will take months (potentially) before I see any loss is very hard considering the work your putting in!

It does make sense why you eat at your TDEE for 8 weeks, so your body knows your not crying wolf and actually believes that your fueling it correctly. I am getting in patient and kind of just want to jump a couple hundred calories per week versus 100 so i can reach my TDEE faster and begin that 8 week period at TDEE, thoughts on that? I know weight gain may be a consequence but I am just anxious to get to the TDEE!

Also, does anyone have recommendations on weight lifting programs to check out?

Like I said in my first post, I hired a trainer whom I meet once a week at my house and she helps guide my workouts/ macros. I guess this is a conversation I need to have with her but it feels counter productive to have a trainer on this journey with me when all i'll be doing throughout our 6 months together is gaining weight.

But I think starting a diary is a great idea, I will definitely look into that! Once I reach close to my TDEE I will only eat back my exercise calories as long as they don't surpass my TDEE.

Thanks again girls, love the encouragement!

Have you both had good success with this program? How long did the process take for you from reset-cut?
07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
ditto on the mental strain!!!

I jumped straight to TDEE big grin so I cannot blame you for that! And when to cut I found that at 8 weeks I was not mental ready to cut and waiting another 2 week s- everyone said to me you will know when you are ready - and it was true!!!

weight lifting most people talk about Cathe series

re eating back exercise cals - you might want to get out of that way of thinking - as your TDEE figure INCLUDES your exercise - so the rule of thumb is if you exercise 5 x per week - work out your TDEE - and eat that every day BUT if you decide to throw in an extra couple of exercises of at least 500 or more - then you eat back say around half of them - otherwise trust the numbers and just eat at TDEE!!

will be very interested in the trainers thoughts!!!

my progress - its slow I have been in cut - but still finding out my figures I have noticed many many positives - oh masses of them sadly weight loss isn't yet one of them BUT I only started in feb/march of this year and have been dieting since I was about 22 (am now 40) so my body needs time to deal I think - plus running and training for a few events means I need my cals so often stay eating at TDEE too! And whilst I might not have lost weight I am out performing most people at my PT classes by miles! that is awesome to me happy
07-31-2014, 11:29 AM
Also remember it is kind of like a big science experiment. the EM2WL guidelines are just that - GUIDELINES. every body is different. some may do better with higher fat and some do better with higher carbs. just tweak one thing at a time, give it a few weeks to see how your body response. this process has a lot to do with figuring out your body. there is no cookie cutter program or % to follow, so dont get hung up on it all. just try to get your protein for sure, and try not to undereat happy

your greatest self has been waiting your whole life; don't make it wait any longer!
07-31-2014, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014 12:19 PM by AnitraSoto.)
I've had great success with EM2WL! I've lost the last 30 pounds since January following EM2WL guidelines and a -15 cut with a couple of diet breaks thrown in there too. I think my story is a bit of an exception, but when I started out between 900-1200 calories and slowly started increasing, I actually lost weight as I increased calories rather than gained (you can read my story in the link below). I'm not sure why my body reacted like that, especially since I had binged/restricted for 20 years prior. I was able to increase all the way up to my TDEE and maintain fine for awhile and actually went over it a bit until I started gaining a little (that's how I knew I had reached true maintenance) and then I just began my -15 cut. So I didn't really do an official reset as my body just cooperated well while increasing calories. I feel for those that are patient through a full reset - so props to you!!! I just tell you this because Ninjaaa9 is right...every body is SO different and we will all react so differently from each other. So just be patient with your body!

If you want to jump straight to TDEE, then do so! You may not even gain as much as you are anticipating....and just to put it into perspective, you've only gained 2 pounds so far on reset and that has been over the course of one month!? That is hardly anything. Most women can fluctuate 5 pounds throughout the different points of their cycle. I know I personally gain about 2-3 pounds in water weight during the week while I'm working out, but then after 2 full rest days on the weekend, I can weigh on Monday and my weight has lowered again. So I personally refuse to weight unless I've had two rest days in a row. Don't get too discouraged by that darn scale...put it away if you have to. There are too many factors that affect the scale fluctuations.

It does take some tweaking to figure our YOUR true numbers. Keep the end goal in mind....having a metabolism that will allow you to maintain on a much larger amount of calories, and also being able to lose weight on a much larger amount of calories. I am still losing weight eating 1800-2000 daily. I could have NEVER done that before. Stick with it and keep increasing those calories! You'll do great!

MFP~ http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/jennbecca33/status

~My EM2WL journey~
http://eatmore2weighless.com/jennys-insp...ess-story/
07-31-2014, 04:30 PM
That is so awesome! NSV are hard to come to get used to when your used to watching the scale but to shift that way of thinking and actually focus on real victories within your body is awesome!

I'll let you know what my trainer says...should be interesting since maybe the EM2WL isn't what she believes in in her profession so we may part ways if that is the case. eek!

And I definitely will get out of the thinking of eating back calories. Only reason I am now is because I am ramping up calories so even with eating back exercises I am still way below TDEE. I think I may jump so If I do that I wont eat back exercises!

It's good to hear your success happy

(07-31-2014 09:45 AM)SarahWeb Wrote:  ditto on the mental strain!!!

I jumped straight to TDEE big grin so I cannot blame you for that! And when to cut I found that at 8 weeks I was not mental ready to cut and waiting another 2 week s- everyone said to me you will know when you are ready - and it was true!!!

weight lifting most people talk about Cathe series

re eating back exercise cals - you might want to get out of that way of thinking - as your TDEE figure INCLUDES your exercise - so the rule of thumb is if you exercise 5 x per week - work out your TDEE - and eat that every day BUT if you decide to throw in an extra couple of exercises of at least 500 or more - then you eat back say around half of them - otherwise trust the numbers and just eat at TDEE!!

will be very interested in the trainers thoughts!!!

my progress - its slow I have been in cut - but still finding out my figures I have noticed many many positives - oh masses of them sadly weight loss isn't yet one of them BUT I only started in feb/march of this year and have been dieting since I was about 22 (am now 40) so my body needs time to deal I think - plus running and training for a few events means I need my cals so often stay eating at TDEE too! And whilst I might not have lost weight I am out performing most people at my PT classes by miles! that is awesome to me happy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  EM2WL stopped working due to thyroid issues? wookiemouse 11 15,189 04-23-2015 11:10 PM
Last Post: shinealot
Shocked Did EM2WL for a while..them Linakekei 12 15,015 03-27-2015 07:32 AM
Last Post: Linakekei
Sad em2wl isn't working for me and ruined my body Orpheus 8 13,037 01-02-2014 01:09 AM
Last Post: Raynn
  Trying EM2WL, but many limitations... Ricjos0101 3 5,157 02-26-2013 11:29 AM
Last Post: regina