Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.67 Average
Hello. My name's Dakota and I never want to feel like this again....
09-01-2015, 02:02 PM
RE: Hello. My name's Dakota and I never want to feel like this again....
Oh god, my new trousers are tight. What to do???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Remember that a lot of it will be water gain and also, if you are lifting, things are moving to different places. I know right before my period that my trousers are tight...so I keep that in mind when I'm bloated for other reasons. I breathe and then let go. I recognise that this too will pass.
09-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Time to go and do that reading. My head is messy. There's a skinny little devil sitting on my shoulder telling me to cut, cut, cut. I WILL not listen to him!!! I've come too far.
09-03-2015, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't want you to undo all the hard work you've already done. Can you imagine cutting right now and losing nothing? Or having to eat 1200 calories in order to lose? Just remind yourself that you'll be able to eat a lot more and your body will retain the muscle you have a lot more, thus being better able to lose weight and keep it off for the long-term. Kick that darn devil in the tushy!
09-03-2015, 06:19 AM
I bought 2 new pants at the beginning of this journey in a size up. I wanted to be comfortable and I'd made up my mind to do the 12 weeks. The other pants will be there soon enough. I have faith. You should too.
09-03-2015, 12:04 PM
I'm back. I'm breezy. The angel has won.

I started this journey because I knew it would change my life forever, and wasn't just a quick fix. I have enjoyed- revelled in, even- the changes I have felt physically and, more importantly, emotionally. I know I made a great choice when I 'signed up' for this and I know a time will come when I thank my lucky stars for bringing me to this website.

This is the first massive emotional set back I've had on the whole journey, and it was borne from simple vanity: Going back to work after a five week break, where so many people have lost loads of weight and look so great, in tight trousers and feeling properly chubby was hard. But I've got the big picture- I've remembered that, before the holiday, I pitied them their starvation diets and was not envious of their quick fixes. I just had a really ugly moment where I doubted my decsion making because I felt so gross.

But like I say, I'm back. I did lots of really inspiring reading on here last night (special shout out to BintAsim whose diary totally inspired me) and I'm ready for the last ten days of re-set. In that time I'm going to get weights sorted and higher protein meal ideas in stock. I'm excited.

Thanks for bearing with me- I'm really not, by nature, a whinger!
09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Way to go! We all, and I mean all, have bad times. But what is important to pushing through them. And you did. Go you!
09-04-2015, 05:06 PM
So I've ordered NRLFW and I've downloaded the you are your own gym app. What weights would people recommend I get to start off with? So far I've only got 2kg dumbells and a 5kg barbell.

I've got a £20 ebay discount so am thinking of investing in some bigger weights. i am a massive lightweight and, to be honest, think right now a full programme with these would just about do it, but I want to be ready for the next step. If you had only £40 to spend, so could probably buy a couple of things, what would you get? Just 3kg dumbells, or should I aim higher? 5kg? I want to see progress and am feeling detrmined to build, but don't want to get it wrong now. Does NrLFW use barbells or dumbells more? My husband has the weights for a barbell, but not the actual bar...perhaps that would be better?

If I've got this totally wrong please do tell me- "Dakota, you fool, you're going to need a 50kg barbell". Just say it! I need to know. I'm 'having' this, I tell you! Preparation is vital to my success!!

Thank you!!

MrsUKYankee, been reading your diary tonight- you're amazeballs!! Think you followed NRLFW??
09-04-2015, 08:20 PM
IMHO, I would get in ~2kg jumps. I work in lbs so I have 5 lb, 10 lb, 15, 20, 25 etc in an adjustable dumbbell set. I've ordered mine from amazon which was about $350 but high $$ for shipping. However it was free shipping for Amazon prime. So I bought amazon prime, since joining costed the same as the shipping and then bought the set. So I got dumbbells and all that amazon prime offers for the same price as just ordering the dumbbells. happy

What I have is Powerblock Dumbbell Set, but if you were to look for something in your price range, maybe something like York Dumbbell Set. In other words, a set that can be altered to be heavier or lighter as you need them to be.

Another option is to look at Craigslist or something like it for those looking to let go of their used dumbbells.

I got a whole lifting system (rack, barbell, plates, bench) for $200. Normally it's like $500-600 used.
09-05-2015, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 04:06 AM by Dakota.)
Thanks Mary Jo. I was going to get one of the adjustable sets, but was worried that I would need to change weights too rapidly (if I was following a DVD like Cathe Friedrich) and would not be able to adjust them in time. Do you know if, in that situation, generally I would be using the same size weights for the whole work out?

Good work on the Amazon Prime success!!!