Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Eat, Play, Write
01-26-2017, 02:41 PM
RE: Eat, Play, Write
(01-26-2017 02:08 PM)sheilawrites Wrote:  And why is that? It doesn't make sense. If calorie intake maintains a higher weight than we use as our baseline, then we have not found equilibrium - TDEE - for that base weight. I'm not cutting back yet, but I want to understand the reasoning behind maintaining at a higher weight.

Think if you recalculated TDEE with your extra 4lb gain then I think the difference in calories would be negligible.

For me, my TDEE at 72kg was 2450, when I got down to 65kg I still considered 2450 to be TDEE, ok the calculator would have suggest less, but as I added muscle it sort of ofset most of that.

Just keep it simple and try not to overcomplicate things, sorry I haven't read your whole journal initial weight gain at the start could be a number of things, topping up glycogen stores, newbie gains, some fat due to a surpressed metabolism. If it was the latter then some weight gain is inevitable during the reset process. When you reset you want to maintain at the highest no of calories possible so that when it comes to a cut you have more calories to play with because when you do cut you'll miss everyone of those calories! 10% may not seem a lot but it is, sure others will testify to that laughing Sorry i'm struggling struggling to find the words to answer your question Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2017, 02:58 PM
(01-26-2017 02:41 PM)West Wrote:  
(01-26-2017 02:08 PM)sheilawrites Wrote:  And why is that? It doesn't make sense. If calorie intake maintains a higher weight than we use as our baseline, then we have not found equilibrium - TDEE - for that base weight. I'm not cutting back yet, but I want to understand the reasoning behind maintaining at a higher weight.

Think if you recalculated TDEE with your extra 4lb gain then I think the difference in calories would be negligible.

For me, my TDEE at 72kg was 2450, when I got down to 65kg I still considered 2450 to be TDEE, ok the calculator would have suggest less, but as I added muscle it sort of ofset most of that.

Just keep it simple and try not to overcomplicate things, sorry I haven't read your whole journal initial weight gain at the start could be a number of things, topping up glycogen stores, newbie gains, some fat due to a surpressed metabolism. If it was the latter then some weight gain is inevitable during the reset process. When you reset you want to maintain at the highest no of calories possible so that when it comes to a cut you have more calories to play with because when you do cut you'll miss everyone of those calories! 10% may not seem a lot but it is, sure others will testify to that laughing Sorry i'm struggling struggling to find the words to answer your question Undecided

Okay, that helps. You're right, the difference of TDEE for a 5-lb change is insignificant. But some people gain a lot more than that, so I'm just trying to understand the big picture. Anyway, I appreciate your help! Thanks!
01-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Let's put it this way...when you were four pounds lighter and underrating at 1500 or so calories, your body had to suppress its metabolism.

When you started to eat more and your body said, "wow, more calories, I better hold on them to them because I don't know when this gravy train is going to end".

If now, you start to drop calories, you body might say, "I knew it! I knew she couldn't keep feeding me...I better slow down the fire again. Drop the metabolism!"

I'm not an expert but if you start dropping calories NOW, this early into your recovery, your body will NOT trust you. Your body: muscles, tissues, organs, bones don't know that you have in your head that it's supposed to measure 144 pounds on a hunk of metal.

You're doing great -- but I agree with the others, you are overthinking. Maintain at 2100 for another 30 days before you make any changes.

It's time to get out of your head..and let your body & your mind recover.
01-26-2017, 08:05 PM
(01-26-2017 05:36 PM)daphne67 Wrote:  Let's put it this way...when you were four pounds lighter and underrating at 1500 or so calories, your body had to suppress its metabolism.

When you started to eat more and your body said, "wow, more calories, I better hold on them to them because I don't know when this gravy train is going to end".

If now, you start to drop calories, you body might say, "I knew it! I knew she couldn't keep feeding me...I better slow down the fire again. Drop the metabolism!"

I'm not an expert but if you start dropping calories NOW, this early into your recovery, your body will NOT trust you. Your body: muscles, tissues, organs, bones don't know that you have in your head that it's supposed to measure 144 pounds on a hunk of metal.

You're doing great -- but I agree with the others, you are overthinking. Maintain at 2100 for another 30 days before you make any changes.

Thanks. I'm not planning to change what I'm doing, just trying to wrap my head around it all. Makes sense. Thanks!
01-26-2017, 09:32 PM
(01-26-2017 05:36 PM)daphne67 Wrote:  Let's put it this way...when you were four pounds lighter and underrating at 1500 or so calories, your body had to suppress its metabolism.

I really needed to read this right now, thank you so much!!! Heart I've been battling all week to do a cut even though it is too early. Thank you for the reminder happy

No old roads lead to new destinations.
01-26-2017, 09:50 PM
I've been in recovery for a year and haven't even thought about a cut! I'm on cruise control -- building muscle, eating wonderful meals, and letting my body decide.

I've haven't lost any weight in the past year but I have lost a couple inches off my waist and I'm eating about 2200 to 2400 calories per day. In my way of thinking, "dieting" ruled (I mean, ruined) my life for decades. Now, it's my turn.

My advice, don't be in a rush -- there is no final destination (well, there is one) but weight loss is not the goal right now. Rejecting the dieting mentality is priority #1. Fixing your metabolism is priority #1. I want to be as warm, playful & energetic as a Chihuahua -- sleep hard, play hard & eat healthy, delicious food.
01-27-2017, 02:11 AM
(01-26-2017 09:50 PM)daphne67 Wrote:  I've been in recovery for a year and haven't even thought about a cut! I'm on cruise control -- building muscle, eating wonderful meals, and letting my body decide.

I've haven't lost any weight in the past year but I have lost a couple inches off my waist and I'm eating about 2200 to 2400 calories per day. In my way of thinking, "dieting" ruled (I mean, ruined) my life for decades. Now, it's my turn.

My advice, don't be in a rush -- there is no final destination (well, there is one) but weight loss is not the goal right now. Rejecting the dieting mentality is priority #1. Fixing your metabolism is priority #1. I want to be as warm, playful & energetic as a Chihuahua -- sleep hard, play hard & eat healthy, delicious food.

I'm replying on my journal so I do not take away from her journal happy

No old roads lead to new destinations.
01-27-2017, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2017 09:18 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
Wow, West, Daphne and Frosty just rocked this! Not much to add.

West said it right, overthinking. And it's normal, we all do that, part of the old diet mentality. After all, keeping it simple feels boring, isn't sexy, but it's what will get us where we want to be. And yep, with building muscle, eventually our TDEE will end up higher that what the calculator says. Omg, even a 5% cut sometimes will unleash the best, other will testify and may even think of forms of exorcism laughing Sheila, you are in the right track, just keep going.

Daphne, I loved your train analogy! Can I share it with the fam? Your mindset is where it needs to be! Kudos for your accomplishments. I'm in the same boat of not thinking about cutting, eating, lifting and letting the magic happen.

Carley, I'm heading to your diary!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
01-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Happy Fridayl! I'm going to take an Internet break for a few days as I'm trying to make some serious progress on a book and I need long stretches of undistracted time. I also need some time outdoors, and am in the midst of decluttering in prep for a big move the end of April - leaving North Carolina, going to Oregon! My hubby and I were just talking about how the next 3 months will likely whoosh by, so I need to get started to minimize stress. I'm looking forward to learning about my new habitat, and he's really excited.

I'm planning a nice long (10 mile) walk on Sunday - I need the physicality of my feet on the path and spirituality of birdsong, ocean, trees.... I'll pack a snack for the trail. :-) So it's a good time to get offline for a few days. See you next week.

Past 2 weeks
1-13 148-8
1-14 148.6
1-15 148.6
1-16 149.4
1-17 148.8
1-18 148.8
1-19 149.4
1-20 150
1-21 148.6
1-22 149.2
1-23 148.2
1-24 148.6
1-25 149.2
1-26 149.6

BMR - 1271
TDEE - 2081 (estimated - Moderate/Strenuous)
Average calories past week - 2123
01-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Wow Sheila, what an adventure, moving across the country! Enjoy your weekend, your walk, and your book!