Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FINISHED REVERSE- Still not losing Weight:(
02-15-2017, 01:04 AM
FINISHED REVERSE- Still not losing Weight:(
Hey,
i did a reverse diet for 6 months finally ending at 2,500 calories and lifting heavy doing CrossFit. I stayed at those calories for about a month and then started a very slow cut. I am now down to 1,500 calories, 3 months later, and have only lost 4lb total and not really any body fatSad I don't want to keep lowering my calories and am really upset. What should I do? I also am doing half the exercise since I hurt my foot so for about 7 weeks have been doing things like pilates and not much heavy lifting.

Did I not stay at my maintenance calories long enough? Should I just go back to 2,500 and stay there? so lost..Sad

Would really appreciate an answer!
Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2017, 09:53 AM
RE: FINISHED REVERSE- Still not losing Weight:(
I'm no expert, but it seems to me you are not eating enough. To go from 2,500 calories to 1,500 calories is way too big of a deficit! Where are you getting your TDEE and cut numbers from?
02-15-2017, 10:02 AM
First of all, without knowing more details on you dieting past and body stats, I cannot tell you if you actually reached your TDEE at 2500 or how long you stayed there to truly reset. With Crossfit and heavy lifting, I don't think you reached your TDEE with 2500 (but again, that's without having your body stats).

As you said, you did a "reverse diet" and I'm not so sure if it worked the same way as a reset.

But the thing that I can see that is a red flag is the fact that you dropped your calories to 1500, which I am sure is below your BMR (number of calories you would need if you were I a coma, just to survive). The deficit is way too big and the 4lbs dropped most likely are not fat (sorry for breaking the bad news).

The best thing to do now would be to recalculate your TDEE with the new activity level, stay some time there and do a small cut (max 15%), for 4-6 week, go up to TDEE again for a week, drop 10-15% again for 4-6, one week of maintenance and so on until you just stay at maintenance.

Any drop bigger than 15%, specially for longer periods will end up backfiring and slowing your metabolism in the long run.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/losing-weig...ng-fatter/

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
02-15-2017, 09:39 PM
(02-15-2017 10:02 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  First of all, without knowing more details on you dieting past and body stats, I cannot tell you if you actually reached your TDEE at 2500 or how long you stayed there to truly reset. With Crossfit and heavy lifting, I don't think you reached your TDEE with 2500 (but again, that's without having your body stats).

As you said, you did a "reverse diet" and I'm not so sure if it worked the same way as a reset.

But the thing that I can see that is a red flag is the fact that you dropped your calories to 1500, which I am sure is below your BMR (number of calories you would need if you were I a coma, just to survive). The deficit is way too big and the 4lbs dropped most likely are not fat (sorry for breaking the bad news).

The best thing to do now would be to recalculate your TDEE with the new activity level, stay some time there and do a small cut (max 15%), for 4-6 week, go up to TDEE again for a week, drop 10-15% again for 4-6, one week of maintenance and so on until you just stay at maintenance.

Any drop bigger than 15%, specially for longer periods will end up backfiring and slowing your metabolism in the long run.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/losing-weig...ng-fatter/
Thank you for your responseSad I am really upset that I did not stay at 2,500 for longer than 4 weeks since i see now that my metabolism was not reset. I just could not handle the extra fat any longer and wanted to cut. So I just recalculated my TDEE and it is around 2,000( Since i am not as active as before due to my hurt foot) do you think I should just go to that amount right away? I am worried I will gain too much body fat.
02-15-2017, 09:47 PM
Why don't you increase slowly? That should make the transition easier. Give yourself 4 to 5 weeks to reach TDEE. I know that this period can be hard, specially because we want results asap, but be patient and consistent. Focus on healing your foot. It's important to eat enough while healing from injury so your body has all it needs to handle the extra stress from the injury.

Team EM2WL
02-15-2017, 10:34 PM
(02-15-2017 09:47 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Why don't you increase slowly? That should make the transition easier. Give yourself 4 to 5 weeks to reach TDEE. I know that this period can be hard, specially because we want results asap, but be patient and consistent. Focus on healing your foot. It's important to eat enough while healing from injury so your body has all it needs to handle the extra stress from the injury.

I feel like even if I get back to my TDEE how do I know how long is ok before I start cutting? How are you supposed to know when your metabolism is fixed? I initially started cutting because I had stayed at TDEE for a month. It wasn't enough.. but is the only way to tell by cutting and seeing if you lose weight?
02-16-2017, 08:22 AM
How long does a reset last is a very subjective thing. The funniest thing is that mentally when we just want to cut it usually means we are not ready for it yet. This article may be helpful: http://eatmore2weighless.com/metabolism-...ch-longer/

Also Anitra addressed a similar question in a previous thread:
"RE: Week 11 Metabolic Reset - Some questions
I definitely understand why you are confused, and we are actually in the process of updating that Quick Start Guide and clarifying things a bit...

In the meantime, I will try to help break things down a bit and clarify (for you and anybody else who may be reading this):

Reset should be for a minimum of 8 - 12 weeks (preferably 12 weeks, and possibly/probably longer if you come from a lifetime of severe restriction).

Assuming you do the full 12 weeks (which you are doing - yay!), at the end of this 12 week reset period, introduce a small 10% cut and eat at this level consistently for 4 weeks.

After these first 4 weeks at cut, re-evaluate things. If losing, continue on this 10% cut for another 4 weeks and re-evaluate again at this time. If NOT losing, you can increase the cut to 15%.

At the 8 week point on cut, re-evaluate and adjust as necessary, either continuing on the 10% or 15% cut to finish out the 12 weeks.

At the end of this 12 week period of cutting, take a diet break and eat at TDEE for a week, or preferably two, to remind your metabolism of what "normal" is, and to make sure it is not adapting to that cut.

Note: after eating for 12 weeks (or more) at TDEE, people often find it hard to stay on a cut for as long as 12 weeks. If this is the case, try to get to at least the 8 week point and then take a one week diet break. If you make it to the 12 week point cutting, then you will most likely want to take a 2 week diet break and eat at TDEE.

The bottom line is that once you start to cut, you want to make that cut as small as you can *while still seeing results*. So start out small at 10% and if after 4 weeks you are seeing no results, increase that cut to 15% for the remaining 8 weeks.

Hope that helps to clarify things a bit..."

Team EM2WL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Not losing weight means you need to go higher? wookiemouse 3 2,753 04-23-2015 07:36 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Slowly Eating more for 6+ months, 15lbs gained...when will it reverse? Shortqtpie 7 7,782 10-07-2014 03:10 AM
Last Post: AllyBlue77