Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newby here
08-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Newby here
I'm 53 and 190 lbs with large bones. With that said, I was wondering if that should be considered in the TDEE/BMR calculator? I've always weighed about 20 lbs more than people think and I have read that our weight goals should depend on our bone density. A calculator I found said my ideal weight should be 135 lbs. Where with my height, I've always thought I need to weigh 115-125 lbs. I think you all are going to say don't worry about the weight so much as my body composition and as I'm typing this, I think I'm answering my own questionhappy
Anyway, I've purchased the Ibook and have started the concept at 2000 calories which is an increase for 1200 - 1500 calories. My weight has been stable for about 3 weeks now. I'm feeling really good about the concept and really feel this lifestyle is the way to go!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2017, 11:07 PM
RE: Newby here
Welcome on board!
The TDEE calculator is based on age, height, activity level and weight. I'd say that larger bones mean heavier bones, right? That's accounted on the weight part. I don't know how tall you are, but 115-125 may be too low. Anyway, I'm not going to tell you not to worry about your weight or how much you should weight (that belongs to you), but I'll tell you to shift the focus from weight loss to fat loss wink

Increasing calories and holding steady it the way to go! If you are not losing fat, what's the point of eating less, right?

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
08-04-2017, 04:16 PM
(08-03-2017 11:07 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Welcome on board!
The TDEE calculator is based on age, height, activity level and weight. I'd say that larger bones mean heavier bones, right? That's accounted on the weight part. I don't know how tall you are, but 115-125 may be too low. Anyway, I'm not going to tell you not to worry about your weight or how much you should weight (that belongs to you), but I'll tell you to shift the focus from weight loss to fat loss wink

Increasing calories and holding steady it the way to go! If you are not losing fat, what's the point of eating less, right?

Thanks Tereza! You are absolutely right!! I'd much rather lose fat and not muscle!! I've held steady with my weight at 2000 calories for about 3 weeks. Should I wait a few more weeks before decreasing my calories? Maybe wait until I start losing at that caloric intake? The 2000 is my calculation of TDEE + 15%.
08-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Usually we recommend going up to TDEE and staying there for a while. Depending on you history of dieting in the past, you may need to stay there longer. Testing the waters and increasing a little more, week after week to see how your body reacts would be a great idea. Let's say you go up to 2100 and the weight stays steady? Wowza! The higher you go without gaining, the smaller will be the deficit you need to lose.

This is the link to the metabolism reset guide: http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabol...set-guide/

And this is about how to find your true TDEE: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-do-i-fi...true-tdee/

Team EM2WL
08-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Thank you so much! After asking, a light bulb came on and agreed with what you said. TDEE is getting our metabolism where it should be and healed. If I had stayed at a 15% deficit, I would not realize a healed metabolism. To give you some background so I can be more easily advised; my history includes a recent 90 lb. loss with almost no carbs and about 1200 calories over a period of about a year and a half. I had been overweight all my life except for a couple of Weight Watcher losses and a Weigh Down loss. The recent diet was the best thing I had ever done because it taught me how to eat healthy and to feel good and not feel deprived or hungry!! Then I hit full blown menopauseSad and now I realize a damaged metabolism and I was struggling again and have gained 30 lbs. backSad and am having a much harder time to get that back off plus I hadn't reached my goal of 140 lbs. yetSad This recent diet was an answer to prayer but because I was struggling again, I started praying again and ran across you all and this concept!! I'm convinced this is what I need to do and I'm excited about the journey!! I'm ready for the journey that will take some getting used to (eating more, gaining a little weight before realizing a loss) but that will heal my body, soul, and spirit!! I'm very thankful for this forum, the book (I purchased the book), and the other resources you all provide!! I'm looking forward to the help and maybe I will be of some help too eventually!!
08-05-2017, 10:05 AM
How much is the workout program and app after the 30-day free trial?
08-05-2017, 12:00 PM
(08-05-2017 10:05 AM)tgipson2 Wrote:  How much is the workout program and app after the 30-day free trial?

The app with the independent workouts (DYI style), just like the free trial are $14.97 a month. You can cancel anytime, not contracts.

I am glad to hear that you learned how to eat healthier and that you were able to lose weight. But I am even gladder that you found us before eventually gaining all back. The problem with any very low calorie diet (VLCD) I'd not that you don't lose weight. You most likely will lose weight in the first or second round, but the problem that we all face is to keep it off in the long run.

The more we lose on a vlcd, the lower our metabolism gets because it's not a fat loss, it's a weight loss and metabolism expensive muscle is lost in the process. Plus bone mass and other tissues. Once we eat more again or the body gets used to the calorie level (the cut becomes the new TDEE), no more losing and we possibly regain the lost weight, even eating so little. And to add insult to the injury, the regains will not be the same lean tissue that was lost, it will be fat. That's why after regaining we weight the same as before but look worse and bigger.

The answer is to keep the metabolism high by strength training, eating as close as possible to our TDEE, hitting protein, fiber and water levels. Forget about goal weight. Focus on gaining muscle. The problem is not too much fat, but too little muscle. I know, not fancy, boring and repetitive solution, but usually the simplest answer is the right one. Don't strive for perfection, hone in on consistency.

And this is why the scale should be tossed aside: http://eatmore2weighless.com/why-you-nee...our-scale/

Team EM2WL
08-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Thank you so much!! That's not bad ($14.97). I'm going to get the free trail first. I am glad too that I found you all!! That is exactly what was happening; I was gradually gaining it back with my VLCDSad Of course, also getting discouraged which led to eating more junk than healthy food because my discouragement was leading to wrong thinking; i.e. what's the point of eating healthy if I'm not going to be happy and keep it offSad And amen to the gain and looking worse or bigger!! I am definitely on board with keeping my metabolism high by strength training, eating TDEE and hitting protein, fiber, and water levels and forgetting about goal weight. I just recently said to myself that I'm going to go by my clothes vs the scale!! Thanks again!!
08-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Awesome decision to get away from the scalehappy Nothing that thing says ever makes me truly happyhappy Clothing always wins out!

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
08-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Thank you, Raynn!! I think I'm getting close to TDEE but I'm going to wait until after our cruise Labor Day week before cutting!! I can't believe how satisfied I am to be the weight I am heading into a vacation!! I am so happy and excited about this concept and very, very sure I'm finally on the right track with getting healthy!!! I am forever thankful for the founders of EM2WL!!! God Bless!!