Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adding a journal to help me in the aging..
04-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Adding a journal to help me in the aging..
..process. I don't have anyone around me where I live, or in my family, that can be of real support. I can't talk about this on Facebook, well I can, but it's discouraging because none of the people I know, except one gal, are trying to get fit with exercise and good nutrition.

I've been a fan of em2wl for years, and have been following it ever since I learned about TDEE, eating enough "fuel" in order to lose weight, and tone, or gain muscle.

I've been a member of My fitness Pal (for the diaries mainly) but would get so sad over the folks that ate so little. I struggle with depression but do not take pills because I get so many of the side-effects, I'd rather try natural ways to overcome the times of depression. So I need to be around people that understand the whole "healthy" process of em2wl.

I'm 65, 133, 5'2" so a lot of my friends don't understand that I do need to lose the flab I do have, and I want to gain muscle so I don't look like a stick. As some will know, aging isn't easy. I am coming to terms with that, and realizing how much life there is left to live. I never want to give up shooting for the best I can be mentally, emotionally, physically (and I really need to work on the spiritual).

So what I do now, and just started back yesterday, 4/16/2018. I started my food diary again, just to make sure where I am with my calorie intake. I have been walking for years, and basically have stayed at the same weight.

I am getting back into body-weight training since yesterday. I am sore today so must have done ok on that. Also, I got my TDEE again, and figured my deficit. I think I can put a link for my ticker, and diary here for anyone that may read, and want to see.

This is enough for a "first day" journal. I will be looking around the forums to see what everyone else is up tohappy I'm very grateful to have this forum, and MFP. I hope to find some gals my age, but I have learned most about healthy weight-loss from younger gals so farwink Denise

MFP Food & Exercise Diaries

[Image: 142255839.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2018, 05:30 AM
RE: Adding a journal to help me in the aging..
Hi Denise, It is great you have started body-weight training again. It does seem to make a difference. Especially as we get older too.

It is really good news that you have basically stayed at the same weight - that is a great achievement.

It seems that once you gain some muscle you won't have a lot of excess flab to lose. I think it may get a little more difficult as we become older but still not impossible to maintain a good level of fitness, muscle tone and lower flab level. It is certainly my goal to plan to maintain a good fitness level.

I am at my happy weight at the moment. I do weights with hand weights twice a week (once for lower body and once for upper body) for 25-30 minutes each. And I do 2 lots of HIIT which for me are hill sprints. I warm up with a run of around 8-10 minutes then do 6 thirty second sprints and then a walking warm down. It takes me around 25-30 minutes all up. Sometimes I will walk for a little longer at the end if it is a beautiful day.

Anyway, it is great to meet you Denise. Looking forward to your updates. (There aren't many of us left over here.) It would be great if Sheila popped in again - she was great and used to update regularly and her diary was interesting.
04-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Starting a diary here is a great way to get support! Yes, surrounding yourself with folks that “get” you is a powerful tool!

Baby steps, don’t try to implement everything all at once. We believe in choosing one thing, the thing that will make the biggest difference first (inclreasing calories, strength training, protein) and do it until it becomes second nature. Then add in another.

Yesterday Kiki had a live talk with Candace Smith in the Crushing the Diet Mentality group on Facebook and she said one thing that made my day: “drop perfection and start where you are NOW”. I loved it!

I know we all love the coziness of this forum and we want you to journal here, but since you mentioned Facebook and just because it allows us to share and connect more, maybe you could join us there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754102281470874/

It’s also a safe space and it’s monitered. That’s where Kiki spends the most time those days.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
04-22-2018, 02:00 PM
Thumbs Down RE: Adding a journal to help me in the aging..
(04-18-2018 05:30 AM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  Hi Denise, It is great you have started body-weight training again. It does seem to make a difference. Especially as we get older too.

It is really good news that you have basically stayed at the same weight - that is a great achievement.

It seems that once you gain some muscle you won't have a lot of excess flab to lose. I think it may get a little more difficult as we become older but still not impossible to maintain a good level of fitness, muscle tone and lower flab level. It is certainly my goal to plan to maintain a good fitness level.

I am at my happy weight at the moment. I do weights with hand weights twice a week (once for lower body and once for upper body) for 25-30 minutes each. And I do 2 lots of HIIT which for me are hill sprints. I warm up with a run of around 8-10 minutes then do 6 thirty second sprints and then a walking warm down. It takes me around 25-30 minutes all up. Sometimes I will walk for a little longer at the end if it is a beautiful day.

Anyway, it is great to meet you Denise. Looking forward to your updates. (There aren't many of us left over here.) It would be great if Sheila popped in again - she was great and used to update regularly and her diary was interesting.

Hi Fiona, thank you for commenting, and your workout sounds very good, especially the hand-weight exercises as I need to be careful. My neck got super sore doing several of the weight-machines about a month ago. I realized I over-did, and need to take it much easier. I have neck issues from Dystonia, but I think it's always been a minor case of it, comparatively speaking.

Anyway, I am just waiting for the first to start my gym membership. I think I will be good to go again, as long as I don't push it too hardwink

I lost a solid lb, just from getting my food "more" on track with TDEE, and been walking to burn some calories. A few body-weight exercises is all.

I really think losing those 10 or so lbs, firming up, and putting on a little muscle will do it for me. I am hoping I will get so hooked, I keep exercisingwink though. I never stopped walking but I didn't watch how many calories I ate, or how little I atewink Tracking again is great and I still appreciate my kitchen scale, measuring spoons and cupswink

Denise

04-22-2018, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2018 02:06 PM by never2late1952.)
(04-18-2018 09:05 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Starting a diary here is a great way to get support! Yes, surrounding yourself with folks that “get” you is a powerful tool!

Baby steps, don’t try to implement everything all at once. We believe in choosing one thing, the thing that will make the biggest difference first (inclreasing calories, strength training, protein) and do it until it becomes second nature. Then add in another.

Yesterday Kiki had a live talk with Candace Smith in the Crushing the Diet Mentality group on Facebook and she said one thing that made my day: “drop perfection and start where you are NOW”. I loved it!

I know we all love the coziness of this forum and we want you to journal here, but since you mentioned Facebook and just because it allows us to share and connect more, maybe you could join us there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754102281470874/

It’s also a safe space and it’s monitered. That’s where Kiki spends the most time those days.

Ok Tereza, I thought about the FB site you mention, I'll go take a lookwink Speak of Protein, I wasn't hitting my goal so I have some extra protein powder now, good stuff, Organic Valley I think, without getting up to go look, LOL! Anyway, also ate Ground Turkey this a.m. Really surprised how tasty that is, lots of protein, and less of the fat. I don't worry a lot about eating "good" fats, but I do have to limit themwink

ttyl, and I'll do my best to keep in touch with you galswink Today I'm going to look for threads/posts on weight-training with Cervical Dystonia. I have it, but not an extreme case. Maybe meet some folks that are still building muscle, without aggravating my neck/shoulder, but hopefully doing it some good, Denisehappy

I didn't get my alerts in email, so going to check my settings, sorry I was so late getting back to you gals, Denise

04-23-2018, 07:38 AM
Hey Denise,

Exploring different protein options is a great way to go. You’d be surprised how many tasty options we we usually overlook are out there! A great way to do it is to try one new source a week. Go and explore the grocery store, look up recipes and just give it a try. You will not love all of them, but you definitely find new options.

Here is a good article on protein by EM2WL http://eatmore2weighless.com/power-protein/

The Facebook group I’ve mentioned is an EM2WL closed group.

Have a great week!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anjacina's Journal Anjacina 11 2,282 03-23-2018 08:10 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Kelly's Journal kcmsmith0405 73 17,286 01-31-2018 02:21 PM