Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
It's Not About a "Magic Number"
02-23-2013, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 01:32 PM by Kiki.)
It's Not About a "Magic Number"
Not sure where I should put this, but here it is.

Finally, I have some success to share with all of you amazing EM2WL’ers!
After many, many months of searching for the “magic number”, I discovered (with the help of a couple of MFP'ers) it not about the magic number at all. It’s about the “honest number.” Idea

This link changed my perspective, my eating habits, and – wait for it – MY NUMBERS!!!!! happy dance

Four weeks ago I started being crazy diligent about my portions and logging. Honestly, that all I changed (except I increased carbs because my workout were suffering). I’ve been in the 1700-1900 calorie range (or so I thought) for months and months and seeing no progress and some gains. After I watched that video I started weighing everything I could and logging everything, everything, everything. I even log that squirt of ketchup or mustard, the pickle, etc. The difference in my 1/4 cup of steel cut oats and 40g of oats (and other foods like butter Tbls v. g) surprised me.

I spent over a decade maintaining a large weight loss using WW. On WW, there are things that are “free” and things that, in small enough portions (a pickle), don’t cost any points. I conditioned myself to be so focused on the big things and I was overlooking the little things – a LOT of little things.

Also, at the end of the day if I was 50-100 calories under budget, I would eat a snack and not log it because I was still under budget so no need. Right? Wrong, that ruined my chance to look back over my diary and progress to see what worked and what didn’t.

Here are my 30 day stats:
BF (by Military BF calculator) -2.5%
Weight -4.8#

Total inches – 7.3”
Waist -1.3”
Hips -.5”
Bust -2.00” (back fat disappearing)
Abdomen -.25”
Neck -.5”
Right Bicep -.5”
Left Bicep -.25”
R. Calf -.25”
L. Calf -.25
R. Thigh -.75
L. Thigh -75”

If I'm operating my calculator correctly, then
+1.5 muscle
-6.3 fat happy dancehappy dancehappy dance

(Edited to embed video ~Kiki)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2013, 07:26 PM
RE: It's Not About a "Magic Number"
Convinced me to stop snitching those few chocolate chips every time I pass through the kitchen... thinking
02-23-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm so happy for you Regina! And yes, that's one I the first vids I share when people are doing everything "right" yet not getting results. Those little things add up.

So happy you are finding YOUR number. That's what it's all about, and what we always want people to know. We can never say that "it didn't work for me" because WE (each individual) are the only ones it can work FOR. It's a very personal journey, about finding YOUR numbers. YOUR sweet spot.

I seriously could not be more stoked for you. You've worked SO hard and you deserve the results!

Yay! :')

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2013, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 10:24 AM by regina.)
Indeed EM2WL can work for everyone! Based on my loss, my TDEE is within 50 cals of where the starter kit info said it is. Go figure, and I'm not a snowflake-different than everyone else and can't eat and lose.

The best part is that by eating more, losing slowly, and increasing lean body mass with weight lifting my 'goal' weight has increased. To get to the BF I wanted, my GW was 148. Now it's 159..... Only 12# to go. lovestruck

I have y'all to thank... especially for introducing me to picking up heavy stuff! not worthy
02-24-2013, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 01:38 PM by Kiki.)
Regina- I seriously want to cry I'm so stinking happy for you!!

For anyone who does NOT know how much patience in the trial and error period Regina has had, check her previous threads from LAST SUMMER.

So inspiring. Talk about "patience". I hope it was worth the wait, girl happy

http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...hp?tid=237

http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...php?tid=55

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

02-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reminder!!

I haven't had a loss in the last 4 weeks and have been wondering what's going on and if I needed to decrease my cals due to weight loss.

BUTTTTT this reminded that I have been sneaking handfuls of fruit loops and I also always use a measuring cup for my oatmeal...no more, I'm going to weigh it from now on. I pretty much just use the scale for meat so now I'm going to try to weigh everything.

Congrats on your loss!!

I am also eating in the 1700-1900 calorie range.
02-25-2013, 10:36 AM
(02-24-2013 01:38 PM)Kiki Wrote:  Regina- I seriously want to cry I'm so stinking happy for you!!

Thanks, I almost cried myself when I put all the stats together. I'm most excited that my BF goal is closer (and at a higher weigh) than before!!! lovestruck

I'm almost scared to trust that I finally figured out things. Honestly, I think my body just finally decided to trust that I figured out things.

One of the keys for me, in addition to weighing everything, was to increase carb intake. My body doesn't know that low carb is supposed to be the way to lose weight.

You gals rock and I'm so glad to finally have some good news to report. I did take before pics and once I can see a real difference, I might find the courage to post before and afters.

Heidi, I really believe honesty with my diary was the trick for me. I have french fries every Saturday (my guilty pleasure). Ketchup is fat free (old VLCD mentality) so I didn't bother to log it. Turns out I was eating 60-90 calories of ketchup. That's just one small thing. I can't imagine how many other BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) I wasn't counting.
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
(02-25-2013 10:36 AM)regina Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 01:38 PM)Kiki Wrote:  Regina- I seriously want to cry I'm so stinking happy for you!!

Heidi, I really believe honesty with my diary was the trick for me. I have french fries every Saturday (my guilty pleasure). Ketchup is fat free (old VLCD mentality) so I didn't bother to log it. Turns out I was eating 60-90 calories of ketchup. That's just one small thing. I can't imagine how many other BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) I wasn't counting.

Regina, I'm so happy that you've figured this thing out. I just posted something in my journal to the same effect, that honesty and accuracy is totally where we all go wrong!

Glad you're on your way with your weight loss and most importantly, trusting yourself.
02-26-2013, 10:18 AM
I just saw you posted ANOTHER loss today!!!

It.is.SO.happening!!!!!!!!! happy dance

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

02-26-2013, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 11:25 AM by regina.)
(02-26-2013 10:18 AM)Kiki Wrote:  I just saw you posted ANOTHER loss today!!!

It.is.SO.happening!!!!!!!!! happy dance

I know!!!! Honestly, it was so unexpected and kind of scared me! Huh

I have my daughter working out now!!! I'm working around her school/work schedule starting next week. Intense cardio will be reduced to 2x/wk, weightlifting 3x/wk and 2 rest days (yes, I said 2 REST DAYS) a week. I'm curious to see how this affects my loss after years of 7-9 hours of intense exercise a week.

I've workout out through a nasty case of tendonitis because I didn't want to let my daughter down. She's on a business trip this week so I'm resting, icing, and anti-inflammatorying. I have 1 more week of STS M3 left. Would you recommend I repeat M3, then M2 and M1 or start back with M1 and go back up. I bought my barbell half way through, so a lost of my 1rm aren't very accurate. Whatever I do, I'll redo all of the 1rm tests when I finish the last week of M3.

Honestly, all I had to do to get things going is clam down, stop changing things ever other week, rest my body sometimes, focus on macros, and be patient....(emphasis on calm down).

(02-26-2013 09:41 AM)amanda_gent Wrote:  
(02-25-2013 10:36 AM)regina Wrote:  

Regina, I'm so happy that you've figured this thing out. I just posted something in my journal to the same effect, that honesty and accuracy is totally where we all go wrong!

Glad you're on your way with your weight loss and most importantly, trusting yourself.

Thanks Amanda. I was shocked with how much I'd be estimating WRONG.