Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where am I going wrong?
07-22-2012, 10:13 PM
RE: Where am I going wrong?
Definitely going to cut the cardio & slow down. Lifting heavier will be fine too. The most important thing though is to wait for the equilibrium . Also I WILL save up for a monitor. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Sharon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2012, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 08:03 PM by Naonah.)
Love this post Sharon. It's a question I've had for a while too. I started my cut (after 2 months of increase and another 2 months at TDEE) early this month. I've gained weight, close to the dreadful 200 Wwwaaaaaay to close for my comfort. Been there before and thought I'd never see it again. My cut hasn't really done anything for me (at TDEE-10% for little activity). Mind you, it's close to TOM and that's never in my favor. But still, I'm eating less but nothing gives. I keep telling myself that I have to start lifting but am still looking for some good weights...and some motivation.

Just makes me wonder sometimes if my body is just "broken"....

Again, thanks for sharing with us...

Ps. I must confess: The little Angel voice inside my head is saying I have to start lifting weights. The little :devil: is telling me to hold off until September because I will be on vacation most of August.

Nadia
This makes sense, so it has to work Cool
07-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Quote:The good part is I feel better. I am not constantly cold. My skin and nails are better. My gums are better; they were receding and they are coming back. I sleep better. I don't have wild food cravings. I can eat just one piece of bread and don't have to finish the loaf. I don't binge eat anymore. I don't hide food or eat out of the view of others. There is a lot of good coming of this. I am just wanting to do it right because I only want to do this once; it is so hard to let myself get big.

Focus more on these sorts of successes rather than the scale at this point. Resetting and eating at TDEE is a huge mental game and it can make or break you. If you allow yourself to let it go and just see where it takes you, you will come out on the other side so much more renewed and ready to lose.

I just came off of an 8 week reset. It was probably the hardest thing I had ever done in my weight loss "career". But I learned so much about myself and my body in that time. And now that I am finally on the cutting end, I am more excited to see the inches drop rather than the scale number.. THAT in itself is a huge change for me.

Keep at it.. know we are here for you

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
08-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Checking back in...

It is the start of week 7 at TDEE and on Wednesday (weigh in day) of week 6 I was up to 166; still gaining.

I have made some changes to my workouts. I have shifted to a 3 day split of heavy lifting; and 2 days of light kettlebells (because I like it) instead of cardio. So I have a leg/abs day (Monday), chest/back/abs day (Wednesday), and arms/shoulders/abs day (Friday) with light (#18) kettlebells on Tuesday and Thursday. I still do push-ups, machine assisted pull-ups and machine assisted dips every day. This is making a difference in my "density", as it were.

Heavy weights for me (examples):
Lat-pulldown #85
Bench Press (dumbell) #35 each hand
Bench Press (bar) #80
Seated Row #85
Single-arm Row #40
Dumbell Front-squat #50
Leg Press #300
Biceps Curl (bar) #40
Biceps Curl (dumbells) #25 each hand

So, when you say heavy, I hope this is what you mean. I can do 3 sets of 8 at this weight. I could do heavier if I did sets of 5. I am wobbly and mildly nauseated at the end of every heavy workout (in a good way).

I am seeing muscle coming in under the fat now. My legs are getting some definition again and my back is starting to show again (I lost all definition for a while). My arms look big, but not so flabby looking as they were 2 weeks ago. My mid-section is just fat on top (but I can feel firm muscle underneath.

I am sticking to a flat 2229 calories (and not eating back the exercise calories) until I plateau. So far, no plateau.

Am I heading in the right direction yet? I kinda think I may come out of this OK if I can just plateau (mentally I am a wreck). I am starting to feel like if I just gain enough muscle and don't change the calories, that the fat will have to start coming off. Is that the theory we are operating under here?

Let me know.

Thanks to all for the input and support. This is a lot harder than I ever imagined.
big grin

Sharon
08-07-2012, 08:32 AM
3 sets of 8 is fine. You don't really need to drop below 8 just yet. I'd hover right in that 8-12 range. If you can go higher than 10-12, then consider upping weight again.

Yes, the muscle that you're building will help you to burn the fat that is over it, and the more you build the more fat it will burn (when you're not even trying, lol)

When you're lifting heavy, sometimes it's harder to tell when you plateau. This is especially true when you first start a new/heavier lifting routine, for the first few weeks. Weight typically shoots up a few lbs, then "whooshes." Your body is holding tons of water in the muscles to repair them to become bigger/stronger. So be sure not to weigh the day after lifting. If you really get concerned about how much is water and how much is true gain, take about 5-7days off from weights and hiit (every 4-6 wks or so), and let your body fully release any water it is retaining, and get a "true" weigh-in.

You're doing great happy

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Ah. Good to know. I was freaking out yesterday on MFP. I was so bloated I could not even take a deep breath. I have had to loosen my shoes every day when I go to the gym. Normally I just pull them off and on. Now I have to untie them every day and open them up more each day. I feel like I am going to pop!

It is a real watery soft, smooth bloat. It can't be all fat. In fact, I had marks on my arm from a shopping basket for more than half an hour after I went to the store yesterday; edema extraordinaire!

This is SO hard for me to maintain. The weight workouts are nothing. It is the eating and gaining that is killing me.

Thank you for your support.

Heart

Sharon
08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
(08-08-2012 09:27 PM)theostlerscat Wrote:  Ah. Good to know. I was freaking out yesterday on MFP. I was so bloated I could not even take a deep breath. I have had to loosen my shoes every day when I go to the gym. Normally I just pull them off and on. Now I have to untie them every day and open them up more each day. I feel like I am going to pop!

It is a real watery soft, smooth bloat. It can't be all fat. In fact, I had marks on my arm from a shopping basket for more than half an hour after I went to the store yesterday; edema extraordinaire!

This is SO hard for me to maintain. The weight workouts are nothing. It is the eating and gaining that is killing me.

Thank you for your support.

Heart

Lady, I see a WHOOOSSSHHHH coming in your near future!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
08-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Lady, I see a WHOOOSSSHHHH coming in your near future!
[/quote]

Well, I don't know if it is a WHOOOSSSHHHH, but I can see my ankles again.

I am at the end of week 2 of cut at 1895. Some of the water is gone, and I am really getting STRONG!!! I can't say as I am seeing the muscle yet though, I can just feel it. My clothes are as tight as ever. I have in fact, grown into my fat pants. But it is only week two.

I have cut out cardio altogether except for two 20 minute kettlebell workouts per week (very light #18lbs) just to stay limber and to move fluids which still try to be retained. I am otherwise doing 3, heavy free-weight work (heavy enough to need a spotter) workouts (legs/abs, chest/back/abs, shoulders/arms/abs).

I really want this to work.

I am trying to zero in on the macros but it is sometimes hit and miss.

Hanging in there....

Sharon
08-24-2012, 08:55 PM
You're doing great, Sharon! I thought of you today when I posted this on MFP earlier: http://www.7layerliving.com/wp-content/u...famine.pdf

It's a article by a Dr discussing the metabolism reset and the gaining part.

Love hearing about your strength gains. I just adore the way my body responds to weight work when I'm properly fueled!

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Sharon, you are doing wonderful! Keep up what your doing. Focus on hitting your protein and the rest will fall in line.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue