Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newbie, confused and need help
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Newbie, confused and need help
Hey everybody, So I have been trying to search for all my answers on the forums but that has led to more confusion. So I thought I would post a thread for some help.

Here is my story

In mid july of this year I decided I needed to make a change, I bought a dress that I absolutely loved and according to measurements of the dress I should've of fit into in, but I didn't. Well i did but I think it would burst if I took a breath of ate. Its not that I only wanted to get smaller to fit the dress but I wanted to look toned not flabby anymore. I missed being active, so I decided to buy Insanity and was committed.

I didn't count calories the first month because of my past with a "eating Disorder". I thought if I ate like I have been and just added exercise I would see results. I didn't, so I posted my frustration on the Beachbody website and with their advice I started to count calories and was around 1400-1600 barely though.(Before working out I think I was eating more around the 1600 mark, but when I started to workout again I instinctively lowered because I thought I would see better results) I upped my calories to at least hit 1600 but still didn't see results but thought maybe it would be a longer process. I posted another thread and someone mentioned I was probably eating too much!!! I got mad reading that because I somehow knew that if I lowered my calories even more and continued this crazy workout I would just crash. I wasn't necessarily hungry but I felt tired and weak and during the beginning of the second month I wanted to cry during on of the longer workouts because I was frustrated that I was working so hard but not seeing any changes. Again I went to Team Beachbody and ate the amount of calories it recommends for insanity for me which is around 1800. I didn't see or feel the results but I do fit into that dress(without zipper assistance) and have worn it out, but being me I just said it stretched because my measurements are the same. (what the heck).

When I finished insanity I started to use the treadmill, jogs and intervals but I lowered my calories to 1600, again no changes, THATS when I fell upon this group on MFP and upped my calories to 1800 while doing Turbo fire HIITs 4XWEEK. I have been at 1800-1900 calories for the past 3 weeks and I don't think I have gained even though I haven't being doing Insanity, and honestly this is the first Thanksgiving in years that I was actually able to enjoy and not feel guilty or bloated.

So my QUESTIONs are (finally, sorry for the super long post but I just wanted to put it all out there to get the best advice.)

I want to start Insanity again because I LOVED it, but this time I want to see results. I also want to start Strength training because that seems to be the focus on EM2WL. I was thinking Chalean Extreme. When I start Chalean extreme I will stop Insanity and Turbofire HIITs, just to stick to the programs actual schedule.

Alright question time

What is my activity level?

I work at a busy Starbucks for about 35 hours a week, lots of cleaning and moving during rushes and after, but also a bit of down time but I am on my feet for all of my shift except on breaks.

I workout 5-6 days a week, 30-45 min or so. Turbofire Hiit or an Insanity DVD. What would be my activity level when I start chalean extreme?

Should I do a reset? or just eat at my 15% cut?

I think the only time I have been under my BMR was the first month on insanity, before that I am pretty sure I hit at least that number, most likely more. (wasn't counting)

Here are my stats

5'6"
170 pounds
I think I have a pretty good amount of muscle because my legs seem quite solid under the flab.

Again sorry for the SUPER LONG post but any help will be greatly appreciated. happy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2013, 06:39 PM
RE: Newbie, confused and need help
Hi & welcome!

I'm not sure of your age, but I would think that 1600 is barely your BMR? Your TDEE is likely in the 2500 ballpark, with a 2200 or so cut (again estimating, not sure of your age).

I think that it's AWESOME that you're considering adding some Chalene Extreme to the mix. Though it may seem like we "overly" focus on strength training, its for good reason. It's gonna be truly hard for you to peg down a solid number without it. That's because as your endurance increases, the amount that you burn during your workout will DEcrease. So what starts out as being *enough* food eventually becomes *too much*. Also the cardio will begin to eat away at your muscle (especially when undereating) which will further lower your BMR (metabolic rate is determined by amount of muscle)

Does that make sense?

If you really love Insanity, why not swap it in every now and again for a cardio day during CLX?

If you've only undereaten during the current year, then you may not need to reset. But if you've had an eating disorder in the past and never did a reset from that, it could truly be beneficial. wink

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2013, 03:29 AM
RE: Newbie, confused and need help
Thank you for our reply. happy

I am 22. When I first started to lose weight I counted calories and never went over 1400 calories, this was 3 years ago and I decided on 19 birthday I would not obsess anymore and stopped counting. I think I naturally did a reset, because I gained initially and have been at a stable weight/size for the past 3 years. I do know that I had many day I didn't eat enough thinking I would lose but never lost a significant amount, and always felt guilty if I ate something unhealthy. This mindset also changed within the last year because I wanted to enjoy food again and I did. I was pretty pleased that I was able to enjoy food and didn't gain or lose any weight. Which makes me think I don't need a reset, but I will reassess if I see no changes.

"That's because as your endurance increases, the amount that you burn during your workout will DEcrease. So what starts out as being *enough* food eventually becomes *too much*"

I am a little confused by this, is this if I focused on cardio too much? Also I am for sure going to start Chalean Extremes once I get my hands on it, Im buying adjustable weights today while they are on sale. I don't know why I didn't just think of switching up the cardio days with insanity, that brilliant. happy

So I am still confused by the activity level. Am I considered moderate or very active. Or should I just stay at lightly and eat back exercise calories? I think this is where I get the most overwhelmed by. This week I have been at net 1800 calories, I ate back some exercise calories, but I can't even be accurate on that because I don't have and HRM and just log it with MFP.

Again Thank you so much, I am so grateful and really appreciate all the help. happy <3
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  confused newbie drea123 5 6,572 04-25-2014 03:55 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  confused about TDEE tiffanylynn84 6 10,215 03-16-2014 08:42 PM
Last Post: tiffanylynn84
  Confused Laurenrh 11 13,689 10-07-2013 05:39 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  Confused aarfan 4 6,326 09-26-2013 02:54 AM
Last Post: Kiki