Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My body is catching up!!
10-27-2013, 05:38 AM
My body is catching up!!
My weight loss/lifestyle change journey began about 2 years ago when my mum suggested I go to see a doctor who had put her on a 'weight loss' diet. Ever since I can remember, I had always struggled with my weight and was always the chubby one of my 5 siblings. I was lucky enough to get my mum's genes while my brothers and sister got my dad's long and lean genes!

I'll admit I was sceptical of the doctor. And apparently in denial about how big I was. My mum is a serial (and self-confessed) yo-yo fad dieter. She will try anything to get her weight down and then thinks she can go back to what she was eating before. Cue the next fad diet. Anyway, I went along to the doctors appointment thinking it couldn't hurt, and what I got was a big slap in the face. As he explained the diet (which was basically high protein, low carb and NO fat, not even the good kind, and obviously not sustainable) I asked if I could substitute something and he looked at me and said "my dear, there's a reason you're as big as you are". I was shocked. My mum had always danced around the issue of my weight, making light suggestions here and there rather than telling me that it was a problem. I couldn't believe he had said that, but it was exactly what I needed. Weighing in at 96.6kg at 22 years old, I was definitely bigger than I thought.

So I started the diet and lost 25kg in about 8 months. Yay me! Since then I have slowly lost another 6-7kg but gained a couple back over winter. I also started crossfit 2 years ago and about a year ago I upped my 2-3 weekly sessions to 4 times a week and have never looked back. If anything I want to do more. I have learnt to strive for a certain look rather than a number on the scales, and I want to see progress in my training more than I want to see 60kg on the scale.

About a year ago, right when I now realise I was probably way under eating for my body and my training, I stopped getting my period. But it coincided with me going off the pill, so that's what I put it down to. I had blood tests to confirm my hormone levels were fine and my (normal) doctor said there was nothing to worry about.

I came across EM2WL about 7 weeks ago on Facebook, joined up here, read the starter kit and ummed and ahhed for a week over whether or not I needed to do a metabolism reset. I guessed I had been eating around 1200-1400 calories for most of the first 18 months since I started the doctor diet (but had never counted during that time), and floated between 1200-1800 for the last 6 months, but probably more often on the lower side of that. I didn't want to gain any weight back, but knew it needed to be done. So I started my reset 6 weeks ago, weighing in at 66.8kg. I am now around the 69kg mark (haven't weighed in a week or so) and as disheartening as it is to see that number rise, I am LOVING eating more and feeling better in my training. I also know that this is something my body needed to do, and something my mind needed to accept.

All of that aside, my very first NSV since starting my reset is that today I got my period for the first time in nearly a year. I know that the physical changes will come with time once I finish my reset in about 4 weeks and I am happy to let those come as they may, but I am SO happy to see some positive changes on the INSIDE of my body, knowing it is all falling back into place.

Kiki and Lucia - thank you so much for starting this site and for the support you provide. I really would have thrown in the towel by now if it wasn't for your amazing info and guidance, and I'm so thankful that I didn't lovestruck
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2013, 12:29 PM
RE: My body is catching up!!
What an amazing nsv! Your body is letting you know you are def on the right track.

I hope you would consider submitting your story to inspire others on the website. Though you aren't at your goal yet we all love seeing the journey as you go through it. I could grab this right here but would need you to submit pics of when you started and today. Then later on you can do an update with new pics. Oh i hope you'll consider doing it. If so send the pics to success@em2wl.com

I thank you in advance.

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
10-27-2013, 03:52 PM
RE: My body is catching up!!
Oh thank you!! I'll email you this (want to edit a couple things) along with some photos when I get home later today happy