Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
Reset, cut and beyond!
08-29-2017, 07:39 AM
RE: Reset, cut and beyond!
I see those people doing pistol squats down to the floor and I feel like an old lady trying to do them. If the balance is an issue, try holding onto a chair, may be helpful. But yes, doing a full pistol squat is a cool goal!

You could give a try to letting the deficit decrease and see what happens. If your weight stays the same while eating more, why not? If not, you can always increase the deficit again. Plus you will feel hungrier now that you are strength training consistently.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2017, 10:51 PM
I think I will...not sure if it's in my head, but I have definitely been HUNGRY since starting to lift. But I'll go real slow...like, TDEE on work days, and still a deficit other days. If that goes OK, then small decreases in the other days - maybe only a few hundred over the week. Slooooow.

Also i was reading on another blog how at first all you want to do is cut, then you get to the point where the thought of cutting is diabolical. So there! The thought of going without a few hundred cals every day is SO unappealing. I can't believe I ever survived on less than 1500cals! (sometimes significantly less). Yikes.

Not really weight training...but I was showing my mum how low I can squat (god knows why...), but I was holding my boy, so I did it with him a few times and he thought it was an absolute riot. Too cute.

Those single leg squats are a killer. I'm still on 4 sets of 8 (per leg), and by the end it's jelly leg central!!
08-31-2017, 11:11 PM
Now, hold on to your seat, one more thing that may happen (promise not to freak out can't lookcan't look ), you may feel hungrier on the day after lifting... I know, weird. Until I understood that this is actually a thing, I though I was going nuts. I would not feel hungry on the days in which I had a good lifting workout, but I'd starve in the next day. Perfectly normal.

The truth is that lifting will make you hungry, not compulsive, but truly hungry. That's the way the body has to get you to add more fuel once your metabolism starts revving up. Eventually it balances itself, and you will have less hungry days. Listen to your body, if you need a few extra cals, it's ok, watch your macros and have them. No guilt!

And the kids love being "squatted", too cute! Mine lives when I "bench press" him!

Team EM2WL
09-01-2017, 03:10 AM
I echo that :-) ... I definitely eat more the next day after if I do a hard workout on my lower half - or if I do a hard HIIT.

Just a question Tereza - do you eat less or eat as you planned (maintenance, cut or bulk) on the workout day? And on the day after - do you eat more than you planned - eat to satisfy the hunger?

Do you sometimes get so hungry that you can't concentrate on anything unless you eat?

Keep doing it though Lucy - the benefits really outweigh the angst of feeling hungrier and it does settle down and often you really don't gain any fat - just mostly muscle.
09-01-2017, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017 10:35 PM by Tereza Toledo.)
Fiona, I like to eat around the same everyday. When I was using a Fitbit or logging my exercise a few years ago, the diet mentality was always making me exercise more to earn calories, even during rest days or if I was sick (doesn't that sound wrong?!).

No, I don't adjust the calories according to exercising or not exercising in a regular week. If I need to eat more, I do add more calories (100, 200, usually it's not much more than that), but I focus on keeping my proteĆ­nas 30% or above.

Yes, sometimes I get days in which I am that hungry. What I usually notice is that if I lean into it and eat, I'm not as hungry throughout the day and even if I ate extra early on, I'm fine at night. It's scary, I know, we fear that if we eat it will become a feeding frenzy, but it normally won't (unless we have been really undereating).

I remember eating as little as I could during the day and then bingeing at night. I wanted to save up my calories. But once I let go of that fear, I've noticed that it's ok, if I eat consistently, binges don't happen.

I've been logging sort of consistently on MFP. I'm Tereza Toledo there as well and have my diary open to friends.

Team EM2WL
09-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I'm in a pretty good head space at the moment regarding eating more, at least happy Quite happy to up the cals a bit when hungry after lifting. I discovered quest bars, which are SO filling - first time I've ever found a bar like that genuinely filling. Plus have added a scoop of protein powder to my morning green smoothie - again, makes it really satisfying. I'm currently trying to cut back on the added sugar in my diet. I don't eat a LOT of processed foods, but it somehow creeps in, especially with a busy lifestyle. Not going crazy with it though - cutting back, not cutting out.

Also, a bit of a NSV yesterday. We had a Father's Day (Australia) celebration at my parents place yesterday, nothing fancy, just a sausage sizzle and cake. Once upon a time I'd have been constantly starving myself, so when such an occasion came up I'd have stuffed myself silly til I felt sick, then beaten myself up about it for days afterwards. I was super hungry in the morning, waiting for everyone else to arrive (I'd done a walk AND had swimming lessons with my toddler (actually quite the workout for me lol), and then generally park play etc with the toddler). So I had some yoghurt with fruit, and then when lunch came I just had one sausage sandwich, and a very small piece of cake that I shared with my son. And it wasn't a huge effort to stop. I just did. I think because I knew it wasn't my 'only' chance to eat because I'd immediately start dieting again. I love that I can't remember the last time I binged. At my worst, I remember eating round after round of toast, bingeing on regular foods because I even viewed them as 'junk', and sometimes then going to the shops to specifically buy junk food to binge on. Urgh. It was such an unhealthy head space. But I know now it wasn't my fault. I was doing what we're all told to lose weight -eat less, move more. And less and less, and more and more. I was ALWAYS hungry.
09-14-2017, 10:57 PM
Alright! So, according to myfitnesspal, this week my deficit is sitting at around 1500. Last week it was 1800, and the week before around 2300. So looks like I was decreasing it subconsciously last week anyway! Good news is no gain so far. I am going to aim to get it down to 1200 this coming week. Been pretty easy as I've been Hungry! Although some days I end up eating some nuts at the end of the day to get my deficit down, as at midday I think I'll be on track, then end up running around after the kid more than usual and my step count ends up bigger than expected. But that's not so bad to deal with. At least, when it finally comes to cut, it'll be 'easy' as i could will hopefully be able to just cut out a few nuts and a snack - and pretty much there is my deficit! But not keen to cut anytime soon.
09-14-2017, 11:37 PM
Good job on decreasing your deficit while adding in protein! Don't worry if you see that you are getting more steps in that what you expected, just add an extra snack if you need.
Yes, to be honest, every single calorie is missed when we cut. But it is a cut and it shouldn't be so easy that we can keeping eating less and less, which would end up leading us to undereating.

Not eating much processed foods is always a good thing, which doesn't mean you have to be 100% eating unprocessed only. I like that you have a good balance, though.

How are the workouts going?

Team EM2WL
09-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Thanks! I think I am finally managing to get a grip on not having an all-or-nothing approach to either diet or exercise (or both!).

Workouts aren't too bad. Lifting for 40mins 3x per week. I have basically just committed to doing it Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings - given my husbands changing shifts and my work, this means I sometimes have to get up at 4am to do it. But as tired as I am, I have more energy then than I do at 6.30pm when my son finally goes to bed. I have a love hate relationship with weight lifting. I love that I do it, and I know it's important....but I don't really enjoy it much! It's hard!
09-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Letting go of the all-or-nothing approach is a must!

Which part you don't like about lifting? Does it feel boring? Slow? Hard? Some workouts or phases are not the best. Endurance, for example, usually is the least favorite. But then you give a chick a barbell and tell her to go low and slow and she falls in love.

I don't know if you saw it yet, but we are doing a free Crush The Diet Bootcamp next week. It will happen on our Facebook community. Check it out, it will be a blast! Kiki posted a live announcement there yesterday, talking more about it.

Team EM2WL