Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
Reset, cut and beyond!
08-19-2017, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 06:12 PM by lucy1984.)
RE: Reset, cut and beyond!
Thanks

Darn, keep losing half my posts! Will redo later on a computer rather than my phone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Yes...so anyway. My son - almost 2, and SUPER clingy. It's a little bit lovely...but also inconvenient at times! If I tried to workout out near him, he'd end up having a weight dropped on him. If I put him in a pen...I'm sure he'd scream the place down. And if I took him to the gym? I don't even want to think about it! So for the time being, it's a weights workout at home, before he wakes up. I can see already that I won't be able to go truly 'heavy' on the squats and dead lifts without a bar and rack, but anything is better than nothing. Hopefully one day we can lift together! But for the time being, we are about 3 months into a sleep regression which isn't showing any signs of leaving anytime soon...it's exhausting!

DOMS has hit me hard again tooUndecided! but I did my strength workout again today - didn't up the weights, because a) everything already hurt too much. and b) I forgot to get the extra weights out of the garage before bed last night. But I figure a slow start might be good anyway, stop me injuring myself laughing

I wasn't sure whether my program has enough leg stuff? I think I said before, but it's basically
squats
dead row
chest press
chest fly
overhead press
lat raise
bent over row (which I do one arm at a time)
sit ups
triceps curls (lying on back)
bicep curls

Takes me about half an hour.

I can definitely feel it up the back of my hamstrings etc, so I figure it is getting the back on my legs. But I'm wondering if I should add some lunges?
08-22-2017, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2017 08:26 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
Clingy kids become amazing compassionate independent big kids, trust me. My baby were Velcro babies (well, one still is) and it's impressive how they become self-confident. We never used pens and gates for my first, he would scream bloody murder. Second one accepted the pen as long as he was watching something and it was for a short period of time. They grow fast anyway.

On the sleep, I don't know why people tell us to expect kids to sleep uninterruptedly by certain age. Adults have messy sleep patterns and regressions.

Anyway, you got to do what works for you. That being sad, as much as any exercise is better than no exercise and any strength training is better than none, having structured periodized workouts will give you the best results. A good program will give you enough leg stuff. You can sub exercises to make sure you have the equipment, as long as you always sub for one that works the same area.

This is the EM2WL Upper/Lower free downloadable program:
http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/ge...=pinterest

And also here: http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/workouts/

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
08-24-2017, 06:15 PM
You're so right - if I am getting up at 5am to do a workout, I may as well make sure I am making the most of it and doing it properly! I am happy with what I am doing at the moment, except for the squats. I upped the weights, but as I am holding dumbbells at my shoulders, I am limited by my upper body strength. So, the weights are too heavy for me to hold, but not challenging my squats. I was googling, and apparently one way to increase the difficulty without a barbell is to change up the squat - e.g. single leg squat or pistol squat. So I might try out some of these...

I'm hoping he becomes a compassionate kid! He is already a real sweetheart, very thoughtful, and just the sweetest thing...

SLEEP! Argh! One thing is for sure, having kids these days is not compatible with the modern lifestyle (e.g. working three days a week at a mentally challenging hob, finishing off a phd and trying to fit in weights workouts etc).
08-24-2017, 08:02 PM
One legged moves are excellent! Yes, the legs usually need more than the wrists to be challenged. And sleep, oh no, that's a though one, but it gets better as the kids get older.

Team EM2WL
08-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Lol - so i optimistically thought I'd try bulgarian split squats with the same weight i was front squatting.....nope! Had to drop back to BW, and still could barely get the 8 reps out on my last 2 sets!
08-27-2017, 09:19 PM
One positive thing about lifting lighter dumbbells at home...
When I started lifting before, the lightest squat and dead lift I started with was the 20kg bar, and even that was, in retrospect, too heavy. I don't think I ever got my form right, and continued to increase weight, but it always felt really unsafe. Like, that at any minute my back could go.

But this time, I really feel like I'm getting my form right. My back doesn't feel in danger. And I'm getting nice and low on the squats.
08-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Yay, that's excellent! Form is definitely important and it's much easier to correct it from the beginning. Also if you are aiming for below parallel squats (which if you can, is the way to go), lower weights will make it easier. Than you build up.

I had to giggle about the front squats. Try pistol squats, they are evil!

Team EM2WL
08-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Pistol squats-- trainer just showed me the first today. Yes, EVIL is the right word!
08-29-2017, 01:57 AM
Lolz - I admit, i made a half-hearted attempt at the pistol squat - I think i may have moved about 20cm. So still about 1m to go rolling on the floor. That can be a long term goal I think laughinglaughing

As for eating - well i am back to eating at around a 2100 weekly 'deficit' (varies day to day) to what fitbit tells me. I think this is my TDEE - given the thyroid issue, but I might just push the friendship over the coming weeks and try to get it down a bit. because the though of eating less than currently as a cut? Not keen! We'll see how I go happy At the moment I struggle to get a deficit on work days, cause I move less. So I may just give up trying for a deficit on work days and break even. That would get my weekly deficit down a bit.