Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
Reset, cut and beyond!
09-17-2017, 06:09 PM
RE: Reset, cut and beyond!
I think just because it's hard! I'm doing about 10 reps per set, so I don't think I'm really in the endurance zone. I dunno. Maybe it's just that I doubt myself a lot. I always think I'm not doing enough or lifting enough...but then I do find it exhausting! Probably too because I do it early morning before breakfast. I can't eat anything first because I can't eat within 45mins of taking my thyroid meds. But I can't wait and do it after as I would literally run out of time before work/son wakes up.

I've heard it said that it's good to do the things you don't like, as that usually is what will challenge you, but that would have me doing everything! But I think weights is a sensible one to keep going with.

I read a post from EM2WL about changing up the routine every 4-5 weeks so that you keep seeing results. I'm currently on my 4th week, but still upping weights here and there - thinking about upping my squat weight next session for example. If I am still able to progress with weights - that's a result I think, so do you think it's OK to stick with my routine a bit longer?

Mini-mental victory yesterday. The news had on an item about a big fun run/half/full marathon over the weekend. Usually when i see that sort of thing, or generally anyone running at all, or posting about park run etc, my immediate gut reaction is 'oh I should start running and do some more halfs'. It's the whole - they're thin and running, I could be thin and running. Even though I hate running and while I did lose weight initially, I couldn't keep it off and also lost a lot of muscle. But last night I was like, 'Thank god I'm not doing that anymore! Couldn't think of anything worse!'. Definitely don't want to be spending 2+ hours running on a Sunday instead of being with my kid. Not saying anything against it for those who love it, but for me a) I hated it and b) it didn't get me to my goals. Also i went to a little BBQ in the park with friends yesterday, and previously that sort of thing would be stress central and a battle of my willpower vs food the whole time, and I wouldn't enjoy it because I was so stressed and obsessed. But i think i ate about 3 chips and literally wasn't interested in anything else. Spent most of the time chasing my son around. Which was nice!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-17-2017, 07:22 PM
First, I love your mental victory! Yes, run for fun, run if you love it. Just don't go running expecting to be lean. Actually, when we look around, we realize that not all runners are lean (just like Pilates folks). Some are, but they probably already were lean to begin with.

Second, yes, sometimes the exercise that we don't like is the one we need most (like lunges, I hate them, but I probably can use them). Yes, changing every 4 to 6 weeks is very important (that's the periodization we talk about). 10 reps is then then hypertrophy range. Endurance would be around 15. Strength below 8. I know that when we find a routine that we get used to, we want to keep doing, specially because that's when it gets easier. But nope, not the best choice. You could go up to 15 reps and do circuit style for an endurance phase, or go down to 6-8 for a strength phase. Also you should change the exercises so you can hit the muscles differently. Sub flat bench for incline, for example.

Have you tried to eat a bigger meal at night or add a snack before bed? Preferably some carbs. That could help you feel more energetic first thing in the morning.

And when it comes to upping the weight, always try to up a bit more, one exercise per session. if it's too heavy, your body will let you know.

BTW, you are joining the Free 5 Day Crush the Diet Bootcamp than begins next Wednesday, right? It will be in the FB community, but you can join here: http://www.crushthediet.com

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
09-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely think about mixing up the number of reps I do in a week or so. Given I am doing it all at home with dumbbells, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to change the routine much at all, as basically what I'm doing now is pretty much it in terms of actual exercises I can do with dumbbell weights right now. I don't really have the ability to add incline benches or anything like that. I added some light hand weights to my split squats, didn't think it'd make much difference but I can actually feel some light DOMS in my glutes today! So must be still making some progress. I am currently getting 4 sets of nice low squats with two dumbbells held at my shoulders, 7.5kg on each, so I might up that to 10kg on each, to match my deadlifts. I'll then do this for another 2 weeks, then look at either endurance or strength reps. Yikes.

I think part of the tiredness is just waking up early, and being on the go all the time!

Yep - signed up, although I'll probably be hours and hours behind everyone else, but I will definitely follow along.
09-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Lucy, Do you have a medicine/swiss ball? You can use it for your inclines. Also you can add resistance bands, which will give more tension. Another way to change things around with split squats is adding some low pulses and using paper plates as sliding discs. Try and DOMS will keep coming happy

Have you tried kettlebell moves wit a dumbbell? It's a great way to add a fun endurance phase.

Yay for signing up! Don't worry, you are not the only one in a different time zone.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Today, 12:52 AM
I might get one eventually, just don't really have the spare cash at the moment...I did up my squats though, and I will probably up my chest press and back row weight soon too. Slow and steady.

Good news is I decreased my deficit again this week, will come in around 1100-1200. And no gain on the scale or measurements! Hope it stays that way. So, at the moment, I'm glad I listened to you and tried upping in spite of my thyroid issues. It wasn't too hard decreasing the deficit this week, I actually rested a bit more (on the few times I was home during my son's nap time, I just sat and rested rather than my usual GET EVERYTHING DONE). So my steps those days weren't as high as usual. It felt good to just stop!