Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How long does it take for water weight to equalize after increasing calories
02-01-2014, 03:43 PM
How long does it take for water weight to equalize after increasing calories
I have done my reset since the Nov and gained 7 pounds. I am just wondering if some of that gain is water or if all of it is fat. It would go back down if it was water right? So I guess it is mainly fat if my weight has been steady for a month? I am trying to be patient and I know that I can't expect losing more than a couple pounds a month if I am doing it right. It is just frustrating because I know if I was more careful and not indulgent around the holidays that I would have less to lose now. Now it should take till summer to just back to where I was if I am lucky. Ugh. Trusting the process though. This is the way I will do it. No more 1200 calorie diets. Now I am really beginning to realize just how long this is going to take. Just wish my stomach wasn't so fat! Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
RE: How long does it take for water weight to equalize after increasing calories
Hi sweets, if there's something I've learned from Matt Stone's works on metabolism reset, its that not all your gain is fat (or water). Your body will have used the extra calories to rebuild tissues, muscles and organs that suffered during the diet/famine phase. I take great comfort in that as I put on 4kg between stopping the dieting madness (and beginning the overeating, mostly emotional eating to cover feelings of self-image unhappiness) and finding em2wl!

A lot of people say they put the scales away as they discover it isn't a true indicator of progress. I've also seen someone's pictures where they weigh exactly the same as they did when they started out, but the body transformation is amazing! And...when you weigh less, your TDEE drops, and your calorie estimation goes down... I say this to remind myself also (who has a dream of gaining a particular scale weight and structure (through personal trainer) she achieved s.e.v.e.n years ago, lol!)

I'm new to em2wl and learning to trust the process also, and I know we'll get there, even if it takes m.o.n.t.h.s. I haven't had a definable waistline in 7 years wink I know this hasn't directly answered your question, the administrators will as they have collective experience with this, but I did want to encourage you xx

I look forward hearing of your successes, just as I look forward to wearing abandoned clothing in the wardrobe big grin
02-02-2014, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2014 06:30 AM by jaeone.)
RE: How long does it take for water weight to equalize after increasing calories
(02-01-2014 03:43 PM)rlm0031 Wrote:  I have done my reset since the Nov and gained 7 pounds. I am just wondering if some of that gain is water or if all of it is fat. It would go back down if it was water right? So I guess it is mainly fat if my weight has been steady for a month? I am trying to be patient and I know that I can't expect losing more than a couple pounds a month if I am doing it right. It is just frustrating because I know if I was more careful and not indulgent around the holidays that I would have less to lose now. Now it should take till summer to just back to where I was if I am lucky. Ugh. Trusting the process though. This is the way I will do it. No more 1200 calorie diets. Now I am really beginning to realize just how long this is going to take. Just wish my stomach wasn't so fat! Undecided
Hi rim! Don't be so hard on yourself, You Have made it through the difficult part! Weight gains vary with each individual whether its water fat and even muscle., depending on the details of your reset. Ok so 7 lbs is what you've gained! Are you still resetting or are you now cutting? Do you lift heavy!? Lots of factors affect weight gain on the scale, that's why we suggest you stay away from it! Eating your TDEE you may gain or maintain, just double check your activity level. How long till you stop gaining is different for everyone , depending on the length of VLCD.
You're doing great! You've come this far! Keep trusting the process!
02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks I am trying. It is more not fitting into my clothes that I did 7 pounds ago than the number on the scale. I am now hopefully finished with the reset and am beginning cut. I left as heavy as I can 3x a week. Thanks.
05-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Rlm- it sounds to me like you are doing exactly what you should be doing. Maybe the 7lbs is fat, maybe it's muscle, or more likely a bit of both. But honestly, does it matter? What matters is that you have changed your metabolism back to what it should be, and even more IMPORTANTLY, changed your mindset. "No more 1200 calorie diets", you said. There is your measure of success! So start your cut if you feel ready, keep lifting heavy and keep trusting in the process. Will it be fast? Likely not. But "quick fixes" is how we got into this mess in the first place. You can do this!!!

Laura