Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 3.38 Average
Emma's journal
03-09-2014, 11:00 AM
RE: Emma's journal
Started Simply Shredded. As a new lifter still, I felt the need to just get back to basic lifts and to simplify my workout schedule a bit. Things are moving along, I'm making cut progress every month. Nothing drastic, just slow and steady, but I'll take it. My lifts are also holding (with the exception of deadlifts - when I did my reset I got up to 165 but now, with less food, I can't seem to get there again. Can't wait to bulk and work on this!) which I'm happy about. I really didn't want to lose strength throughout this.
One thing I'm sort of confused about is still what my true maintenance is. I had my first maintenance week where I could actually track calories (other maintenance breaks were always around travel times for me). I ate more, exercised less, and it still physically felt like a cut. I would wonder if maintenance is higher than I think, but then I think I'd be losing faster than I am while in cut mode. Eh, I'm not going to overthink it. There's enough else to stress about without adding that to the pile.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Do people really write on this forum anymore? It seems like there is hardly any activity. I am glad to read you are making cut progress every month. It made me feel better when you said the first couple months you did not see progress. I have seen none and have cut my calories since Jan. Maybe this month my pants will fit a little better. That is all I can hope for. Can I ask how many times a week you work out?
03-12-2014, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 03:34 PM by emma.)
I know! It was much more active when several of us started STS in the fall. I pop on because I feel like the experiences I read here and the questions that were answered for me were so helpful to me when I started out, I want to contribute and pay it forward in a small way. Plus, doing this journal is basically a way for me to keep my own head on straight: If I'm having a bad day and start the emotional tailspin, I think that if I write it down (type it here) it seems more real. And so that makes me think, "Am I really freaking out about this? Am I really freaking out because I missed a workout?" It makes me stop and think and that puts things into perspective. Then I realize I'm just letting my emotions run away with me and need to chill out.

I was actually coming on to report that I was confused about my maintenance in my last post, but have since shifted my focus about it. I calc'd my maintenance according to the weight I did lose, using the good ol' 3500 cal = 1lb. And I ate at this level, even a smidge higher, and the world didn't end. I didn't gain weight. This is a good thing, as there was that little bit in the back of my mind that wondered if maintenance breaks were going to be like resets (which was for me, and many, uncomfortable). So yay!

My workouts are not the same week to week just because of life - this week, for instance, I am not getting workouts in because I've been working crazy hours and I don't do well springing ahead. However, generally this is what I do: I walk my dogs 3 miles after work every day; do heavy lifting 4 times per week for anywhere from 30 min to an hour depending on the program and if its upper body or lower body; do 1 day of cardio for sanity (a 5 mile run is typical); and I try to squeeze in about 15-20 min of HIIT after my shorter upper body lifting days (2 days per week). I have an office job and am really sedentary during the day.
03-12-2014, 03:37 PM
(03-12-2014 02:27 PM)rlm0031 Wrote:  Do people really write on this forum anymore? It seems like there is hardly any activity. I am glad to read you are making cut progress every month. It made me feel better when you said the first couple months you did not see progress. I have seen none and have cut my calories since Jan. Maybe this month my pants will fit a little better. That is all I can hope for. Can I ask how many times a week you work out?
big grin
I was wondering the same thing. I check everyday to see if someone has written something...and when I write in my journal I feel like I am talking to myself.

I've been doing EM2WL since August. My weight hasn't changed other than to fluctuate the same 5-7 lbs.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2014, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 05:39 PM by rlm0031.)
Nether has mine and I am completely frustrated. I also have been doing this since last Aug. I wish I knew what to do and what I am doing wrong. The whole premise of not starving yourself and eating enough completely makes sense and I have embraced it yet all I have done is gain weight. I don't know what to do. Meanwhile my husband logs every calorie and eats 1800, pretty much the same as me and I think can't he shouldn't he eat a lot more than that if that is what I am eating? He is not losing ether but doesn't really need to lose much.
03-13-2014, 01:24 PM
It's hard when the results don't happen, but I just keep plugging away because I know eating more has got to be better than starving in the long run. I feel better for the most part. And I'd rather be a little heavier and healthy than a little skinny and not as healthy.
03-13-2014, 01:44 PM
All I have done is gain weight as well. I went up 25 lbs between March and August. Then I held steady and lost about 5 lbs. Now I am back up into the mid to high 190's. I just can't get down into the 180's. Total frustration!
03-14-2014, 11:51 AM
(03-13-2014 01:24 PM)LikeAGirl Wrote:  It's hard when the results don't happen, but I just keep plugging away because I know eating more has got to be better than starving in the long run. I feel better for the most part. And I'd rather be a little heavier and healthy than a little skinny and not as healthy.

Yeah, so much to this. Even if I don't get to my goal, after eating more (and even after doing this cut for a little bit) I know enough know I never want to live my life at VLCD. Plus, lifting has made so much of a difference for me. Even if I'm not losing weight, my body is still making positive changes via recomp, its just a bit slower losing the fat.
03-14-2014, 11:55 AM
(03-12-2014 05:38 PM)rlm0031 Wrote:  Nether has mine and I am completely frustrated. I also have been doing this since last Aug. I wish I knew what to do and what I am doing wrong. The whole premise of not starving yourself and eating enough completely makes sense and I have embraced it yet all I have done is gain weight. I don't know what to do. Meanwhile my husband logs every calorie and eats 1800, pretty much the same as me and I think can't he shouldn't he eat a lot more than that if that is what I am eating? He is not losing ether but doesn't really need to lose much.

Truthfully, I don't view as since Aug as a long time. I know it seems like a long time! But this is good I think, because what I'm trying to say is that I think its totally plausible that your body is still just trying to figure things out. I know you reset, was it 8 weeks? And what are your stats? 1800 does seem low for a man, IMO.
And do you WEIGH everything when you log? Relying on calcs on MFP or Myplate and just measuring by volume unfortunately isn't very accurate from what I've found. Even prepackaged stuff isn't necessary accurate when you weigh it.
03-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Aug does seem like a long time ago to me. I reset Nov-Jan. stats are 5'2" 153 lbs. I weighed 136 a year ago. How many times a week do you work out? I do not weight anything I eat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adding a journal to help me in the aging.. never2late1952 5 4,541 04-23-2018 07:38 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Anjacina's Journal Anjacina 11 7,863 03-23-2018 08:10 AM
  Kelly's Journal kcmsmith0405 73 44,907 01-31-2018 02:21 PM
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 99 70,035 12-30-2017 11:07 AM
  Maggie's Journal MaggieG123 326 195,351 12-04-2017 12:38 PM
Last Post: MaggieG123
  JT's Journal jturner2 12 18,753 09-03-2017 08:15 PM
  Finally Teachertoo's journal teachertoo 40 32,291 04-17-2017 06:56 AM