Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 3.38 Average
Emma's journal
03-29-2014, 11:48 AM
RE: Emma's journal
Protein, interesting. I didn't know blood sugar issues is why I wake up. I guess I now have a good excuse to develop some sort of protein brownie recipe happy Thanks!

What kind of magnesium do you take? When I started looking into it, it seems like there are 3 different kinds (citrate, sulfate, and one other).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure what type it is. I just grabbed the "Nature Made" off the shelf at the pharmacy. I think it's 250 mg. I'm not sure the kind matters as much as getting some into your system. I also read that magnesium supports your vitamin D absorption, so that was another reason I added it to my supplements. We don't get a lot of sunshine here from November to April :/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Nice, I'll do a little more research but I think a supplement is in the cards for me. I didn't think I'd be a good candidate for needing magnesium supps because I eat so many nuts, beans, and produce, but I did read something interesting: 1. most of the population is actually magnesium deficient because 2. we used to get a lot of that mineral through the soil of the produce we eat, but its not in the soil so much anymore due to the change in agribusiness. 3. Most of the population is also vitamin d deficient. I actually know I am and take a vitamin D supplement. I was surprised because I live in the desert and spend a lot of time outdoors, I literally eat around a lb of mushrooms a week, and I take a multi. So maybe the lack of magnesium is hindering my vitamin d, as you say, and maybe that's the case for a lot of folks.

Anyway, again thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to add it in and see if that helps. I just really can't take the way I feel right now in terms of blahness and anxiety.
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
I ran out of magnesium supplements about a week ago. I was going to buy more, but while I was reading I came across an article that explains that our bodies absorb magnesium well through our skin and like you said it was more readily available in the soil. I am going to try the lotion this time around and see how it works. I'll let you know happy
04-13-2014, 12:38 PM
This last month as been crazy. I posted about my stress elsewhere in the forums, so I know that really hasn't helped things move along, and all of the work travel and eating out and not keeping my normal exercise schedule hasn't moved things along either. However, I am choosing to focus on the positives rather than feeling like I'm at the mercy of a bunch of stuff I can't control: A) some diet breaks thrown in there, couldn't hurt if I look at it like that B) some exercise breaks thrown in there, again, pbly not a bad thing C) I got some magnesium and figured out Rhoda's advice on protein is pbly spot on - protein heavy nights = better sleep it seems (thanks Rhoda!) D) scale hasn't moved since last month which I'm taking as an ok sign considering A and B above and the fact that I still am retaining some stress/sleeplessness related visible bloat in my midsection.

So, a small bump in the road - I was hoping to reach my "goal" weight by the end of June so I could either slow bulk or work on maintenance and then bulk, and now I think that might not be realistic. Eh. (shrugs shoulders)
04-13-2014, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2014 04:59 PM by LikeAGirl.)
I'm glad that the magnesium and protein is helping. I had a bowl of cereal before bed the other night for a snack and laid there with my heart racing and my mind going a million miles an hour. A sugar buzz before bed is not a good thing! big grin

I cut out my one cup of coffee last week (on my own...not through anyones advice). I noticed that with the supplements I am taking that I am way more jittery and bouncy with an anxious feeling all morning. And it was upsetting my stomach. The last week I have felt calmer than I have in a long time. I'm also walking and doing Yoga only for just awhile. The scale started to move downward again. The trend for the past 3 months was only up.

Since it was a sunny Sunday morning, I decided to have a half cup of coffee after breakfast. I am still buzzing. Not good. I'm not enjoying the feeling at all. So it looks like coffee is out for awhile Sad sort of feels like that cereal buzz did...just a little more intense.
04-18-2014, 11:24 AM
I got a Groupon for a pilates place by my house and have done both hot pilates and TRX this week. I really like it and the social aspect is different (in a good way happy for me since I workout at home. I think I am going to stick with it but want to continue lifting, so I need to figure out how to strike the balance.

I still am in a plateau from last month and am up a pound today. I am trying to be logical about all of this, but its still hard. I don't think its crazy that I'm plateaued with all of the works stress I have (and continue to have, but I'm working on it) and I am super sore today from TRX yesterday, so I wouldn't be surprised if water retention is a pound or two (right?). However, I'm not gonna lie that I am trying not to freak. Not that I'm not losing but because I am at a cut calories level and not losing, if that distinction makes a difference. I am trying to tell myself that my arms are looking a bit more cut and my thighs are changing shape a little bit, so something is happening... I'd be ok recomping but I don't want to restrict myself calorically for the rest of my life. Even though this "cut" is still more than I ate before, lol.
04-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I am sorry. I have been in a plateau since I cannot remember. Haven't seen scale move down in over a year. It could be stress for you. i have been stressed with family issues, a move the last couple years and then there are other issues going on with me hormonally and so forth. I have constant bloating, water retention. Can't move my wedding ring. I don't know what is going on with my body. I am not a heavy person, but have this layer of water over me and a stomach that grows huge throughout the day. I can cover it up with clothes for the most part. I think people would be shocked if they saw my stomach. But it sucks to have to always cover it up all the time, I can't wear a lot things. i already completely freaked after doing the reset, gaining another 10 pounds that all went to my stomach and not being able to lose at cut. Cutting since Jan. and nothing. I have since given up and am eating intuitively. Sorry I know this is not very encouraging, just wish somebody in the diet/medical industry could help people figure this out. I think I have reached acceptance stage where I now accept the place I am at, it does not seem I have the control the used to think I did. For you it is probably stress, or your body is at a weight that is good?? I know it really hard to lose when you are at a really healthy weight, haven't you been losing all along? About 20 pounds ago I was at a perfectly fine weight but it was not good enough for me and I think I went and screwed everything up with beginning to try to force my body to lose with restriction. It may be why I am where I am at now.

I hope you had a good Easter!!
04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the support Rachel. And yes, I think there is something to be said about being at a "good" weight and your body not wanting to move from there. Weightwise I'm pretty much right where I was a few years ago when I started this craziness (but at least with a better body composition now). I went up and reset and went up some more and then have started to come back down, so yes, I've been losing for awhile but losing at a ridiculously slow pace. And I'm tall, so the 10 lbs I've lost isn't really that dramatic. What you said resonated with me a little bit though - I actually AM technically at a healthy weight and my BF IS healthy but its just a little higher than I'd like it to be, so maybe I should probably chill out and embrace acceptance happy If I stop dropping BF based on my Omron and measurements, then maybe I re-evaulate and just try and hang at maintenance cal for awhile and just recomp.

I'm really sorry that you have plateaued for so long, but the "good" thing is that I really wonder if you do have a food intolerance and once you get that under control things will move forward for you. Are you still lifting?
04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Being at a healthy weight and BF is awesome! I know it is hard to chill and accept where you are. But maybe you are in better shape than even you know! After a year of eating more calories I remember my weight had not changed but my body comp had and I fit into everything really well. Then after getting carried away mindlessly eating over the holidays I cannot get back to where I was. I am really short, 5'2" and 10-15 or more pounds on me feels (and looks) like so much.

I do lift 3 times a week, although being sick last week I only made it once. I bought a Omron pedometer and am trying to get 10000 steps a day. Most days it is easy for me. And I found fitness blender online and bought their program. It was about $25 I think and it has 2 months of progressive workouts I am only on day 2 but so far I like it. I like how they have workouts where you don't need any equipment. I like yoga too. I used to do that and it was very relaxing. It makes you feel good in your own body to move it like that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adding a journal to help me in the aging.. never2late1952 5 5,002 04-23-2018 07:38 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Anjacina's Journal Anjacina 11 8,555 03-23-2018 08:10 AM
  Kelly's Journal kcmsmith0405 73 48,334 01-31-2018 02:21 PM
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 99 74,903 12-30-2017 11:07 AM
  Maggie's Journal MaggieG123 326 209,688 12-04-2017 12:38 PM
Last Post: MaggieG123
  JT's Journal jturner2 12 19,481 09-03-2017 08:15 PM
  Finally Teachertoo's journal teachertoo 40 34,497 04-17-2017 06:56 AM