Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi, i'm tiffany. would love some advice.
03-06-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi, i'm tiffany. would love some advice.
okay, so let me be completely honest here. i have not eaten more than 1,100 calories a day for over 3 years now. yes, i am now aware of how horrible and unhealthy that is, hence why i'm here.

i used to be morbidly obese for the majority of my life. when i initially started dieting i simply googled diets for morbidly obese people, and after reading several different websites, settled on cutting my calories to only 1,000 a day immediately. i obviously had no idea what i was doing, and should have talked to a trainer or nutritionist, but i didn't, so here we are...

over time i would lower my caloric intake by 100 calories a week for long bouts of time. i would generally stick to a number until it stopped working for me (i stopped losing weight) and would then lower that by another 100 calories. i kept being fed the calories in calories out rationale by several friends of mine. they insisted that no matter what i ate, as long as i had a calorie deficit i would lose weight, and the higher the deficit, the more i would lose. (clearly, i need new friends. lol)

it wasn't until recently when i became just a mere 10 pounds from my goal weight of losing exactly 200 lbs that i started questioning my tactics. i dropped back down to 800 cals a day and could NOT lose weight. i am right now at 900, and still not losing. i am as of right now going to increase 100 calories a day, a week. i should also mention i do an hour of cardio at the gym 4 days a week, in which i burn 400 cals a session.

i guess my question is this...have i done some serious damage here? i am aware 3 years is a very long to have beaten my poor metabolism. when i started this, i was really trying to do the right thing by finally being healthy for the first time in my life. i was 330 lbs. i am only 5'6. and was obese/morbidly obese most of my life. the only thing i have ever wanted during this process is to be healthy. not necessarily model skinny. i am scared i have permanently damaged my body. why do you all think? any suggestions on how slowly or quickly i should start increasing my calories? any comments, opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2014, 08:58 PM
RE: Hi, i'm tiffany. would love some advice.
Hi Tiffany, Welcome to the family! I'm so glad you found us!
Yes your very low calorie diet history probably has done some serious damage to your body. Thats the thing about eating low calories, the only way to keep loosing is to keep eating less and less! And eventually the losing stops, cause your body starts to hold on to fat to survive. Starving yourself is no way to live!
You are a prime candidate for the reset. Have you considered doing a reset?? You can increase calories slowly, 100 or 200 per week so you won't totally shock your body. You have to get your body trusting you that you will feed it what it needs, when it needs it. It will take time, but you can do it.

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
(03-06-2014 08:58 PM)jaeone Wrote:  Hi Tiffany, Welcome to the family! I'm so glad you found us!
Yes your very low calorie diet history probably has done some serious damage to your body. Thats the thing about eating low calories, the only way to keep loosing is to keep eating less and less! And eventually the losing stops, cause your body starts to hold on to fat to survive. Starving yourself is no way to live!
You are a prime candidate for the reset. Have you considered doing a reset?? You can increase calories slowly, 100 or 200 per week so you won't totally shock your body. You have to get your body trusting you that you will feed it what it needs, when it needs it. It will take time, but you can do it.

thanks for the reply! yes, i am doing a reset. i really don't want to live on such a small calorie intake anymore, and also, i know it's unhealthy. i am currently doing 100 more calories per week. last week i was only eating 800 a day, this week i am doing 900. my other question is about exercise. i normally go to the gym days a week and do an hour of cardio burning anywhere between 450-500 calories. can i continue this, or should i be going less?
03-06-2014, 10:05 PM
*5 days a week lol sorry
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 10:47 PM by jaeone.)
Yes, i would recommend less cardio, especially until you raise your calories to reach your true TDEE. Maybe take short 20 minute walks 4 or 5 days a week. Do you do any type of weight lifting or resistance workouts!? If not I definitely recommend it! Lifting weights during your reset will help rebuild and strengthen muscles lost during your low calorie dieting.
But RIGHT NOW your main focus should be eating and increasing your intake. The workouts can come later. Healing your body is priority!

If you're on MFP you can add me for support.

You're on your way to a healthier you!!wink

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
03-06-2014, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 10:56 PM by tiffanylynn84.)
(03-06-2014 10:43 PM)jaeone Wrote:  Yes, i would recommend less cardio, especially until you raise your calories to reach your true TDEE. Maybe take short 20 minute walks 4 or 5 days a week. Do you do any type of weight lifting or resistance workouts!? If not I definitely recommend it! Lifting weights during your reset will help rebuild and strengthen muscles lost during your low calorie dieting.
But RIGHT NOW your main focus should be eating and increasing your intake. The workouts can come later. Healing your body is priority!

thank you so much! i really appreciate the advice.

(03-06-2014 10:54 PM)tiffanylynn84 Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 10:43 PM)jaeone Wrote:  Yes, i would recommend less cardio, especially until you raise your calories to reach your true TDEE. Maybe take short 20 minute walks 4 or 5 days a week. Do you do any type of weight lifting or resistance workouts!? If not I definitely recommend it! Lifting weights during your reset will help rebuild and strengthen muscles lost during your low calorie dieting.

thank you so much! i really appreciate the advice. i dont do any weight lifting or resistance, but i have been looking into it. i plan on starting some after a few weeks of eating more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fresh Start @ 55...need advice daphne67 82 67,707 05-23-2017 09:20 AM
Last Post: MaggieG123
  Reset Advice (newbie) Rigby 4 5,302 05-07-2015 07:45 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Would love some guidance SSJ 9 10,234 04-06-2015 06:22 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Over 40 and love to lift Modmom 6 7,026 03-11-2015 05:42 PM
Last Post: jaeone