Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anyone with IBS
04-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Anyone with IBS
Is there anyone like me who has a big appetite with limited healthy options available. Because of my IBS I have trouble processing greens, most fruits, wheat, dairy, a lot of high fiber grains.

Basically I have an easier time eating white bread, white rice. Its not unacceptable but not fiber friendly either.

I have pea protein powder in my pantry. Would love to know there are others out there like me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2014, 01:18 PM
RE: Anyone with IBS
(04-15-2014 01:27 AM)jnielsen980 Wrote:  Is there anyone like me who has a big appetite with limited healthy options available. Because of my IBS I have trouble processing greens, most fruits, wheat, dairy, a lot of high fiber grains.

Basically I have an easier time eating white bread, white rice. Its not unacceptable but not fiber friendly either.

I have pea protein powder in my pantry. Would love to know there are others out there like me.

Hi there, I am exactly the same. It has taken some real trial and error for me to find a healthy balance. I always pay for it if I take chances and eat too many fresh foods.

Something I've found really helpful is to take a probiotic supplement, so you could maybe give that a try. My doctor also prescribed a tablet for tummy spasm, which makes me feel a lot better, especially when I have to go out.

With fresh salad/veg, I don't eliminate it completely, but will only have one fresh item per meal. I also prefer dried fruit to fresh, and eat lots of nuts and peanut butter.

As long as I don't overdo it on fresh foods, I can seem to get away with fibre in the form of oats, and rye bread, which are also quite healthy. It's about finding that right balance, just enough fibre is helpful, but just that little bit too much gives me an IBS flare up. Chia seeds are also a good form of fibre, and they are absolutely full of goodness.

I also have limitations being vegan and gluten intolerant, so I know just how hard it can be. Sometimes it seems as though you find the perfect diet, it works for a while, then all of a sudden your stomach rebels and it's back to the drawing board again.

The pea protein is a good idea, and a good way to get some concentrated plant nutrients. I think the main thing is not to worry too much, as that can make things worse. All you can do is the best you can do each day, and if things get really difficult, maybe supplement with a good multi vitamin.

Take care, Rachel xxx
04-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Hello,

I too am having challenges with food options. I struggle with knowing how much to eat and what to eat. I am not diagnosed with IBS but have hormonal imbalances that I have just discovered and have crazy bloating/water retention after eating almost anything. I believe I have intolerances to dairy and wheat and am trying to learn how to eat again. I don't know what to eat to feel good. It is hard to now where to begin. I am trying to find online meal plans and shopping lists to help me out.
01-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Yes me too and at times it feels extremely limiting. I have learned to eat nearly all my foods prepared at home and really try to determine my triggers. A big one for me is eating too much. It seems like if I overeat I pay the next day. Dairy and Gluten are off limits and I recently tried a low FODMAP diet, but stopped. I've done so many elimination diets to try to calm many of my symptoms that I am just exhausted from it. I use Sunwarrior for protein powder and focus on lots of protein. I usually only do raw spinach and salads occasionally. Raw veggies can be a bit irritating.

you are not alone in this struggle.....

(04-15-2014 01:27 AM)jnielsen980 Wrote:  Is there anyone like me who has a big appetite with limited healthy options available. Because of my IBS I have trouble processing greens, most fruits, wheat, dairy, a lot of high fiber grains.