Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Runners?
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 04:20 PM by running4myboys.)
RE: Runners?
Wow that looks great! I really should get as organized as you are!

Oh an I'm guessing gemhealth2010? Isn't the food awesome! LOL.

For the love of peanut butter, EAT MORE!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2014, 04:24 PM
feel free to use it if you want to lol - i was finding that i was really missing the strength training, so i had to try and figure out a way of including it in my week lol - think i've been bitten by the bug

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][Image: 37925741.png][/]
05-16-2014, 06:04 PM
LOL. That's awesome. Thank you! big grin

For the love of peanut butter, EAT MORE!!
05-29-2014, 03:27 PM
My good friend ran track in college (D1) and her coach would have the team strength train on their own at least 3 days a week along with their normal running practices. (usually a morning practice and lifting would be done on the athletes own time) She would take body pump classes regularly as well as do her own routines for legs (usually a lot of squats) and upper body. I'm sure if you look a running magazine or check their website the have a good outline of a strength training routine.
01-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Hi! I'm new to the EM2WL community, but I LOVE running! All of my training plans are a combination of Hal Higdon's training plans and advice I picked up in Kara Goucher's "Running for Women" book. I had to take last year off for health reasons, so I'm working my way back in.

Right now, I'm using Hal Higdon's Aerobic Base Training plan to rebuild my fitness base, and I adapted it for walking. For that and for when I'm fully back into running, here's the basic outline of my week:

Sunday
- Rest
- Active recovery (my body does better if I get some easy movement in the day after a long walk/run)

Monday
- Mid-distance, easy
- Yoga (30 minutes, the easy, gentle stuff)

Tuesday
- Short distance, focus on speed/difficulty
- Pilates (20-30 minutes)
- Strength Training (New Rules of Lifting)

Wednesday
- Mid distance, easy
- Yoga

Thursday
- Short distance, focus on speed/difficulty
- Pilates (20-30 minutes)
- Strength Training (New Rules of Lifting)

Friday
- Rest
- Yoga

Saturday
- Long distance
- Pilates

On my strength training days, I always do my distance (walking now, running in a few weeks) first and my strength training later. Kara Goucher says she likes to start and end her running workouts from the gym on her strength training days to make sure she gets her strength training in, so I'm pretty sure she does the same thing. I feel like the running acts as a warmup for my strength training. Also in Kara's book, she gave an outline of a strength training routine for runners designed by Tony Salazar (Alberto Salazar's son). It was two days a week. Hal Higdon suggests strength training on Tuesdays and Thursdays based on the schedule in his plan, and recommends doing it after your run.

I know I'm planning to have a block of time between my aerobic base training and my 5K training where I do 3 days a week of strength training to build up more muscle. I'll switch back to 2 days a week once I get back to 5K training.

"Start by doing what is necessary; Then, do what is possible; Suddenly, you're doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
12-31-2015, 01:24 PM
I am also a runner and i love to do running for everyday. Its a good exercise to increase stamina and running makes our body healthy.