Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Finally working on gaining...
02-18-2017, 11:13 AM
RE: Finally working on gaining...
Good morning all. It has been a rough couple of weeks, with pain galore! Still no answers on this foot of mine... doc sent me for an ultrasound of the foot, but the radiologist couldn't find anything at all wrong with it. Next up is a bone scan on Tuesday, to look for hairline fractures. I really don't think that is going to be the case. It isn't the constant ache of a break (I broke a toe once), it is the burning stab of nerve pain. And now, the pain of strained muscles and ligaments on the other side of the foot from compensation.

To continue my whine... I had a teacher's convention last week, and as part of that, come friends and I always get a hotel room downtown for one night and go out on the town. I was excited to go, to visit with friends... but was determined not to dance the night away (as I would normally) and make my foot worse! Well, the vodka make a different decision, and I danced for hours. It was so much fun, but I am still paying hard for it. Since then, my foot has been WAY worse, and I did something bad to my lower back that night too. So now add back and hip pain to the mix. Plus, to balance it all out, I have a muscle knot in my neck that is rendering my head practically immobile. Living the dream!

So for the last week, I have been basically living in a fog of pain. I don't react well to pain killers (I can do ibuprofen, but it doesn't see to help much, anything else makes me slow, dopey and tired), so I just push through. My friends and husband have mentioned that I don't seem like myself and have been so quiet lately, and I realized that most of the time I am so distracted by pain I can't even keep up with conversation. I am constantly thinking in my head about how to get through the next few minutes. Ugh. This is really no way to live.

I have still been making it to the gym, 3-4 days a week, but I have been taking it pretty easy there. The only cardio I can do is on the recumbent bike. Even giving it my all, I find it difficult to get my heart rate up on that thing. But I use it as a light warmup and then do the FitFix circuit, or half of it one day and the other half the next (to split upper/lower). I don't feel like I am getting much out of the workouts, but at least I am going.

I am going to meet with one of my best friends, who is also struggling with eating and weight loss and all the stuff. We are going to set some goals together and try to help support each other. She seems to want a specific program to stick to, so we can come up with something for her. I don't want a program, I am okay with what I eat. But... the numbers! arggg!!!

I looked back. Over the last three years, I have gained over 30lbs. Whenever I was eating at TDEE or even cutting at 10% or 15%, I steadily gained weight. Then I would give up, and eat too low, at around a 45% cut, and if I did that for a couple weeks or more, I would start to go down. Still not quickly, but the line would start to trend down. Then, because (of course) that was too hard, and sucked, I would go back to eating at TDEE or a bit less, and the trend would head back upwards. I know that the best chance of fixing my foot is to get a sh!tload of weight off it, and fast. But that goes against everything we know... so, what do I do? There doesn't seem to be method that has me steadily losing weight.

Laura
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your foot and other ouchy things! I can relate, as I too am dealing with a foot that is sore, and am wearing a walking boot, and now my "good" foot is hurting too. I suspect Morton's neuroma for one of my feet at least, and I wonder if you might have that too? It's when a nerve gets irritated. Here's some info:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00158

I don't think it has anything to do with weight. I had read that wearing high heeled shoes might be a cause, but there are other causes. But I would say the solution is probably not related to weight. Can you put your feet up for a while to rest them?

It sounds like maybe your body wasn't ready for the cuts you did, and wanted to hang on to the extra weight and even gain in order to protect itself? Or maybe you were feeling stressed and that made your body want to hang on to the weight?

Hang in there and try to stay at your TDEE! Good for you in getting to the gym! It all takes time, and our bodies need healing. Being healthy is the goal long-term, right?
02-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Hey there happy

I don't know if I ever posted about it, but I had a wicked case of plantar fasciitis and pain across the bones in the ball of my foot before I was tested for food intolerances. I figured it was the weight. Or that I had tried running and walking a lot in barefoot shoes. Pain to the point of not being able to walk normal (which is probably another reason your back and neck hurt) and I would feel like I was 90 in the mornings. Hobbling around.

When I cut out all the dairy, it went away. Now if I eat a slice of cheese or splurge on some ice cream, I can feel it in my feet and hands (especially the finger that is attached to the nerve that I accidentally shot with an industrial stapler last summer!! Dumb moment. Don't ask wink )

It might be something to experiment with. Especially if they aren't finding anything on x-rays and scans...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2017, 06:01 PM
Laura, I am so sorry to hear that you live with such pain every day. It sounds like it is affecting your daily life to a great degree. I can only pray that you find a solution to that very soon.

Keep at it at the gym. Stay focused on your TDEE and let your body recover from the up and down roller coaster of food. I just keep looking at Frosty's post and saying "YES!". I heard a very interesting interview regarding the purpose of fat in our bodies and why/how our bodies react when we try to take fat away from it. Perhaps you will find it interesting: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-c...-1.3994475
02-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Bone scan came out negative too... which I thought it would. Now I am waiting for an MRI and nerve study (whatever that is). Could be a while though. In the meantime, I just keep at it. I am working on paying close attention to my body and the messages it sends me, that I have spent decades ignoring.

Laura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Wink Working through Beautiful Badass :) LikeAGirl 195 73,852 02-21-2017 10:44 PM
Last Post: LikeAGirl
  Finally Teachertoo's journal teachertoo 32 2,829 12-30-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: teachertoo
Wink It's MY time to change....finally Jdnara 31 3,719 05-04-2016 09:03 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto