Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
here's where it started
08-01-2014, 11:07 AM
here's where it started
I know some of you sorta know me.... but feel like I need to introduce myself here.....
I'm Erica and Have been obese (hate that word) my whole life, along with generation after generation. I have done every diet in the world.... succeeded at 2. low carb and low calorie. lost 40 pounds on low carb (gained 20 back) lost 60 pounds on low cal and to date have gained back 25ish....
This last diet was with a Dr supervision, so since he "specialized" in obesity I thought he knew what was best. Bhahahhaha What a joke, I did lose 60 pounds but..... I feel like working with the Dr is where this desire to really lose started. I have always wanted to lose but it wasn't until I started to really lose that I was really motivated to do it, I finally proved to myself that I could do it.... so after losing 60 pounds the weight loss just stopped. after about a month with no lose I started gaining weight at 1200 cal a day. feeling the aggravation and thinking "why bother" I had days where I just wasn't bothering to eat right, wasn't to horrible but wasn't focused, then came the holidays. Diet went out the window for weeks. I thought I would be able to get back on track and lose what I gained over the couple months BUT that never happened! For 3 months I ate at 1200 to 1300 cal a day and working out every morning doing cardio. No matter what I did it wasn't budging. That's when I decided to check this EM2WL thing out. Hated starving myself and still gaining or maintaining there.
anyway I'm trying to up my calories a little at a time, but continue to gain weight like crazy. I started raising from 1200 a day weighing 207 (in April) I just raised again now at 2300 and weigh 217....
I'm working with a trainer 3 days a week, doing lifting 2 days and conditioning the other day. and trying to get some cardio in on my off days.
With my job all I do is sit... literally all 12 hours, I'm an RN and do home care with 1 patient a day.... I am not aloud to leave my patient so going for a walk is not an option, however on occasion I will do squats in the bathroom lol
I know some of you have heard me whine before about how much I hate this weight gain SO I wont go there again..... trying to stay focused on the prize and not speak negative garbage out of my mouth, (or type)
Now for a couple questions:
I'm finding it very difficult to stay within my macros especially Fat, I always go over, yesterday I was way over.... I eat pretty "clean" and most of fat came from eggs, avocado, nuts, cheese
I'm not real sure how to eat so many calories, Should I just eat like normal and have a couple extra protein drinks though out the day to increase calories? If i go from low fat stuff to full fat stuff it will increase cal but also my fat.
My TDEE says I should be eating 2530 (i think it was)
I am 49 (50 next month)
5'7
217#
I marked moderate exercise but I'm not sure if that's right because I sit all day at work and don't exercise every day. also It seems like since I have backed of on the cardio is when I really started noticing the stomach and back fat more. Should I get back to doing more cardio?
Jeeze Louise....
OK that's enough for now...
Thank you ladies for all you help I just keep saying if it worked for you it will work for me !!
also how many of you ladies out there have had to do a total reset and gained a bunch of weight?
thanks
Erica

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: here's where it started
Hi Erica - and welcome

Firstly well done for finding us big grin

So couple of replies for your questions

1. fats - what % of fat are you doing ie what are you macros looking like - EM2WL says 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein - cos the fats you mentioned do not look bad fats to me so I would say do not worry about it BUT I guess it depend on your other values you see happy

2. eating more - its tough at first but just add in bits slowly - low fat to full fat is a good one - peanut butter is a lifesaver ( on banana or apples) for a few members too - whilst I try not to rely on protein shakes - but you can certainly try - I would just start adding in extra here and there . Believe me I was like you eating 800-1200 per day and now I struggle to go below 2000! So you will get there - honestly

3. Moderate exercise sounds about right - the calcs are based upon a sedentary person - so I would say spot on happy

4. re more cardio - nope - what you are doing is fine - yes a bit of walking when you can is great - but don't over stress your body make sure you get enough rest too - do things you enjoy maybe? rather than a full on workout?

5. so my reset - which is kind of still happening I think I gained about 7-10lbs also - unlike you I jumped from very low to 2000 and then from 2000 to 2500 - and it shot up to start and then levelled out - I have been trying to cut but not managing very well - as I hate losing cals!!! and a bit sloppy if I am honest - BUT my fitness has improved certainly my strength as well as my energy levels - so many many plus points.

Anyway hope that some of this helps you - maybe worth starting your own journal in that section of this website then we can help you through

Good luck
Sarah
08-01-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: here's where it started
(08-01-2014 01:04 PM)SarahWeb Wrote:  Hi Erica - and welcome

Firstly well done for finding us big grin

So couple of replies for your questions

1. fats - what % of fat are you doing ie what are you macros looking like - EM2WL says 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein - cos the fats you mentioned do not look bad fats to me so I would say do not worry about it BUT I guess it depend on your other values you see happy

2. eating more - its tough at first but just add in bits slowly - low fat to full fat is a good one - peanut butter is a lifesaver ( on banana or apples) for a few members too - whilst I try not to rely on protein shakes - but you can certainly try - I would just start adding in extra here and there . Believe me I was like you eating 800-1200 per day and now I struggle to go below 2000! So you will get there - honestly

3. Moderate exercise sounds about right - the calcs are based upon a sedentary person - so I would say spot on happy

4. re more cardio - nope - what you are doing is fine - yes a bit of walking when you can is great - but don't over stress your body make sure you get enough rest too - do things you enjoy maybe? rather than a full on workout?

5. so my reset - which is kind of still happening I think I gained about 7-10lbs also - unlike you I jumped from very low to 2000 and then from 2000 to 2500 - and it shot up to start and then levelled out - I have been trying to cut but not managing very well - as I hate losing cals!!! and a bit sloppy if I am honest - BUT my fitness has improved certainly my strength as well as my energy levels - so many many plus points.

Anyway hope that some of this helps you - maybe worth starting your own journal in that section of this website then we can help you through

Good luck
Sarah

Hi Sarah
Yes my macros are set at 40 30 &30
as far as rest lol ya mean sleep ? I sleep well on my days off but work days ... not so much. i meet with my trainer at 8 pm and don't get to bed till after 10 then I'm up the next morning at 5 if I don't get up early to work out. If you mean rest as in not working out I usually skip Tues and Thurs
I sorta wish I would have jumped my cal like you did Id be at cut already so I'm upping next week another 100 then the following week straight to my TDEE at least that my plan
not sure about the journal you mention. how and where . Im not real familiar with the site yet.... Ill take a look around now
thanks for your response
Erica

ps I love peanut butter and apples eat it every day (almost) love bananas too but they have so much sugar I kind of steer away from them except for my Protein shakes
do you have a MFP with open diary or do you not log ? Id love to see what you eat I have no imagination and seem to eat the same thing all the time
thanks
Have a GREAT weekend !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Heart Need help getting started Saggy76 5 5,005 12-16-2015 06:45 PM
Last Post: Saggy76
  Newbie, just started metabolism reset cshol1 1 4,892 04-24-2013 05:14 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  started bulk Wordwarrior7 2 4,494 03-06-2013 05:12 PM
Last Post: Wordwarrior7