Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm new and absolutey TERRIFIED
08-15-2014, 01:20 PM
RE: I'm new and absolutey TERRIFIED
Hi there, in addition to Cathe, I always like to recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of good info in there about lifting, cardio, form, calories, etc. And the program is nice and long and is beginner-friendly.

I see you are doing P90X; my only advice about that is to lift as heavy as you comfortably can to challenge yourself. Tony touts the BS of "slim slim slim" and more reps for the ladies. The problem with this is that as a female, you may end up not lifting enough. If you choose to lift for the 15 reps, make sure you lift heavy enough where you can lift for 20 reps (while not going so heavy as your form collapses before you get to 15). Nothing wrong with 15 reps, but he doesn't emphasize (to my recollection) that you need to actually go heavy enough to make those 15 reps count.

Regarding the cardio: remind me, are you resetting?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi, thanks for the advice!! Yeah, I've done P90x before so I know what to expect. When I did it a few years ago, I know I didn't lift heavy enough, plus I did cardio (a lot of it) after...so I was just damaging my possible results. This go around, I'm killing the cardio - so hoping to get some good definition.

Yes, I am doing a re-set. My diet is enough (right at TDEE), I was just doing too much cardio...so that is where all my changes will be.

Lindsey

(08-15-2014 01:20 PM)emma Wrote:  Hi there, in addition to Cathe, I always like to recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of good info in there about lifting, cardio, form, calories, etc. And the program is nice and long and is beginner-friendly.

I see you are doing P90X; my only advice about that is to lift as heavy as you comfortably can to challenge yourself. Tony touts the BS of "slim slim slim" and more reps for the ladies. The problem with this is that as a female, you may end up not lifting enough. If you choose to lift for the 15 reps, make sure you lift heavy enough where you can lift for 20 reps (while not going so heavy as your form collapses before you get to 15). Nothing wrong with 15 reps, but he doesn't emphasize (to my recollection) that you need to actually go heavy enough to make those 15 reps count.

Regarding the cardio: remind me, are you resetting?
08-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Yeah, that is my experience too with p90x. It probably ended up being a waste of my time for the same reasons. So can I infer you were in the hate-yoga camp, based on your substitution? happy I think I'm the only person on the planet, well maybe me and like 6 other people, who actually liked it, lol.

I actually like the look of your program in general - its something that I would do - BUT since you are resetting I almost wonder if you should ditch the HIIT (super stressful on the body) and then add it back once you are done resetting. But maybe Anitra or one of the mods will chime in there.
08-16-2014, 10:49 AM
The way I've been doing HIIT now was like 45 minute sessions. I'm hoping small 10-15 minutes sessions would be okay - my body would be like, YES!!

Thoughts?

(08-16-2014 10:33 AM)emma Wrote:  Yeah, that is my experience too with p90x. It probably ended up being a waste of my time for the same reasons. So can I infer you were in the hate-yoga camp, based on your substitution? happy I think I'm the only person on the planet, well maybe me and like 6 other people, who actually liked it, lol.

I actually like the look of your program in general - its something that I would do - BUT since you are resetting I almost wonder if you should ditch the HIIT (super stressful on the body) and then add it back once you are done resetting. But maybe Anitra or one of the mods will chime in there.
08-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Wow, HIIT for 45 minutes is no joke. I can do intervals for that long (and want to die) but HIIT? No thanks happy