Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
To much protein?
09-14-2014, 11:40 AM
To much protein?
Hello everyone. I'm one month into EM2WL but haven't really established a solid routine yet but slowly but surely I'm getting there. I started out by using Scooby to calculate my TDEE but since I wanted to know exactly how many calories I burn, I bought a Fitbit. Using this device has been a challenge but I think I'm finally getting it as I'm only using it for my daily burn and to check out my sleep patterns.

I went to my Drs. a couple weeks ago and had my annual physical. Its great to know my test results were normal and pretty good. However, he told me he was a bit concerned about my weight. Last year at this time I was about 10lbs. lighter. I told him about EM2WL and how much protein I was eating based on my weight (142 and one gram per pound of weight). He told me to cut it down to a 1/4 of that! He also stated that I really didn't need that much protein to build muscle and to burn fat! He said by body cannot absorb that much protein and what it doesn't absorb turns into fat. Yites! I told him about the premise of EM2WL, lifting heavy, and eating more protein to support muscle growth. He still made the same comment that that much protein isn't necessary.

Considering I workout 3/4 days a week, 2 days of lifting for 30 mins, one day 30 mins of Hitt and a Pilates routine for 20 mins, should I take his advice, EM2WL's advice or somewhere in the middle? Or is this one of those, use you own best judgement situations. happy

Further, he advised me to lower my animal protein intake, find other sources of protein and to fill up on veggies and fruits for optimal health, which I'm all for. I have found some wonderful vegetarian recipes I plan on incorporating into my life. I doubt I'll ever be a vegetarian, I love animal meat too much, but I can definitely see the benefits of eating less animal meat and filling up more on fruits and veggies.

Any advice and comments are welcome.
Thanks for listening.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2014, 12:36 PM
RE: To much protein?
Hi nibbles, first, I listed some good vegan sources of protein over in the nutrition forum if you are interested.
Second, regarding your doctor's advice. I will preface my comments by saying that my experience is that general practice doctors have little to no knowledge about nutrition. Anything they do know was relevant in 1950, lol. So my advice would be to do your own research rather than listening to him.
That said here's my take: Extra protein does turn to fat - as does extra fat, as does extra carbs. Its extra calories that count. When you overeat anything, it'll end up as fat. This said, personally I'm not a firm believer that you need 1 g per bodyweight. I aim for 1 g of lean body mass. I usually don't make it, and I'm making progress just fine. Do you *need* more protein to build muscle? Realistically, maybe not - if you eat to support growth and lift heavy you'll build muscle. BUT the extra protein will help the process by providing the necessary aminos. It also is more satiating than carbs for most people. How much extra is the trick and will vary person to person. His advice about animal fat is something I agree with. Shocker, since I'm vegan : )
09-14-2014, 06:23 PM
(09-14-2014 12:36 PM)emma Wrote:  Hi nibbles, first, I listed some good vegan sources of protein over in the nutrition forum if you are interested.
Second, regarding your doctor's advice. I will preface my comments by saying that my experience is that general practice doctors have little to no knowledge about nutrition. Anything they do know was relevant in 1950, lol. So my advice would be to do your own research rather than listening to him.
That said here's my take: Extra protein does turn to fat - as does extra fat, as does extra carbs. Its extra calories that count. When you overeat anything, it'll end up as fat. This said, personally I'm not a firm believer that you need 1 g per bodyweight. I aim for 1 g of lean body mass. I usually don't make it, and I'm making progress just fine. Do you *need* more protein to build muscle? Realistically, maybe not - if you eat to support growth and lift heavy you'll build muscle. BUT the extra protein will help the process by providing the necessary aminos. It also is more satiating than carbs for most people. How much extra is the trick and will vary person to person. His advice about animal fat is something I agree with. Shocker, since I'm vegan : )

Hi Emma and thanks for your response. I will take your advice along with my own judgment and lower my protein intake to my LBM, which I believe is 110. I'm not sure if I'll make it either but we'll see what happens. Also, I will check out your vegan options in the other area of this forum. I really would like to refrain from eating as much red meat, when thinking about all the yuckiness that occurs during the process of our meat here in the US. I try to eat organic as much as possible, but even then I'm not sure what I'm getting. happy I do try to stick with seafood a lot of the time so I guess that's a good thing. happy Thanks so much for getting back to me and shedding some light on things. I did think I was overdoing the protein a bit, but didn't think I needed to cut it so drastically either.
09-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi there! ,
I'm glad your physical went well. Sounds like you have a good doctor. All he is doing is making recommendations based on his knowlege, like all drs do!! But again its up to you. A serious compatative weightlifter eats 1 - 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight! And they are eating alot of carbs to go with it which equal a lot of calories!! EM2WL recommends 30% of your calories be protein, it makes it a little easier to keep track of when you first start because it hard reaching every aspect of eating more like TDEE, carbs and fat. So reaching a percentage keeps it balanced with your calorie intake. So if you balance your macros as suggested by EM2WL it is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. And yes it is true that your liver will convert the excess protein into fat storage. Thats why its good to use the percentage method instead of a specific number everyday.

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Protein? panda7353 5 6,660 01-19-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  protein shakes mjj79 7 8,365 07-27-2015 01:40 PM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Protein Question running4myboys 6 9,294 06-09-2015 10:54 AM
Last Post: genuinegirl18
  Aussies Help - best protein bars??? ywells74 1 3,416 01-18-2015 07:25 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  Sodium, Protein and TDEE questions?? nibbles 1 3,687 08-06-2014 09:26 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Question about protein Sammilee 2 4,989 11-22-2013 11:13 AM
Last Post: Sammilee
  How to get enough protein but not too much fat rmorrow 8 20,802 09-29-2013 06:51 AM
Last Post: JsuaMils
  Protein rlm0031 1 4,445 07-22-2013 01:13 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  Tips on choking down more protein meredithharb 3 6,240 11-19-2012 10:41 AM
Last Post: woodsygirl