Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
upping calories ....
11-20-2014, 03:06 AM
upping calories ....
hi all...haven't been here in a while.
Just started to "UP" my calories after about 3-4 years of strict dieting and undereating. my stats are 5'7 for 3-4 years i maintained a weight of 118 lbs. never had issues with health even at that weight only a severely skewed view on dieting. about 2 years ago i could not lower my calories anymore and i started gaining weight, went up to 125 lbs (still eating at max 1000 cals)then i went up to 130 then 133 all the last 6 months.

I hired a personal trainer and he's amazing. I trust the process and I trust his methods... he advised to keep eating 6 times a day without concentrating on calories or macro intake just yet. He has me on a low glycemic sort of "diet". Today is my 5th day of eating 6 times a day and my second week of training 3 times a day. I've gone up 5 more pounds since, so i am at 136 lbs as of last saturday (before i started eating steady) so who knows i might weigh more now. I was expecting it. i knew it would happen.

I just need encouragement from anybody on how to get through it. I am feeling uncomfortable, my clothes don't fit. I hid all my skinny clothes but even my "big" clothes are starting to feel tight. Im not going back to my old eating habits, i mean im up 17 pounds and im not gonna mess it up now. i just can't help but feel huge and i kinda wanna cry. i feel it in my legs i feel it in my thighs and my arms and i could go on

how did/do you get through? any encouraging words ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2014, 03:15 PM
RE: upping calories ....
Wow! Ok, I might be wrong because I seriously don't get inches and feet and pounds. But that seems a really low weight for your height. The initial one at least. Not to mention that 1000 cals is dangerous, no wonder your body started to get back at you.

Anyway, if you trust your personal trainer, that's okay. I think that what's advised in this forum is basically to slowly get to your TDEE calories, like adding 100 calories every 2 weeks or so, so your body can get used to what it really needs. I dunno what that glycemic diet is, but just be careful not to hurt yourself more! You've been starving until now, making weird experiments might not be a good idea. Still... since you didn't give specifics, that's just my humble opinion.

In any case, your body lost all glycogen stores while your were dieting. The first thing it does when you start eating more, is getting that back which will cause a slight bump in your weight. It's good AND normal. Also, since you started doing different kind of exercise and eating different foods, I guess your body is just a bit bloated and those 5 more pounds are water weight. That might make you feel bigger. Remind yourself that weight isn't a stable thing, before I would tell you I weight 67kg. But to be honest I weight around 64.5 to 67kg depending on when I do it. It goes up and down every day, every hour depending on what you drink, sweat, eat, exercise. Measuring yourself might be a better idea.

If you are eating your TDEE you will never get "fat". You'll just get enough body mass for that calorie intake. And by enough, it's literally enough to make your body work properly at that weight. That will be fat and lean tissue. If it's more than your TDEE you'll get extra mass, but it's nothing you can't get rid off later on anyway. You don't get "fat" from one day to another. It takes months and years of eating too much regarding what you actually spend. I took around 23 years to get to this ^^ it was a lot of hard work(not) ahahaha xD

Still you should take pictures ^^ and in 4-6months compare yourself to them. Maybe before. That's the best way to see what's happening.
11-21-2014, 06:52 AM
(11-20-2014 03:06 AM)AllyBlue77 Wrote:  hi all...haven't been here in a while.
Just started to "UP" my calories after about 3-4 years of strict dieting and undereating. my stats are 5'7 for 3-4 years i maintained a weight of 118 lbs. never had issues with health even at that weight only a severely skewed view on dieting. about 2 years ago i could not lower my calories anymore and i started gaining weight, went up to 125 lbs (still eating at max 1000 cals)then i went up to 130 then 133 all the last 6 months.

I hired a personal trainer and he's amazing. I trust the process and I trust his methods... he advised to keep eating 6 times a day without concentrating on calories or macro intake just yet. He has me on a low glycemic sort of "diet". Today is my 5th day of eating 6 times a day and my second week of training 3 times a day. I've gone up 5 more pounds since, so i am at 136 lbs as of last saturday (before i started eating steady) so who knows i might weigh more now. I was expecting it. i knew it would happen.

I just need encouragement from anybody on how to get through it. I am feeling uncomfortable, my clothes don't fit. I hid all my skinny clothes but even my "big" clothes are starting to feel tight. Im not going back to my old eating habits, i mean im up 17 pounds and im not gonna mess it up now. i just can't help but feel huge and i kinda wanna cry. i feel it in my legs i feel it in my thighs and my arms and i could go on

Hi Ally, Glad to see you back!! Its great to hear you have a trainer who is concerned about your nutrition and fueling your body.

I know it is tough seeing the weight come on, we have all been there. But look at the big picture, you were so thin before because you weren't eating enough. So the weight you were probably at was not maintainable. So now you are eating better and working out,( Is that 3 days a week? You said 3 times a day, I hope that was a typo!)
Plus the 5 pounds you have gained in 5 days IS NOT FAT, its water and other stuff! I do think you need to track your macros. Protein is very important right now, you calories should be at least 30% protein intake. This will help you restore and keep the new muscle you are building.
You are on the right track. But continue to up your calories, your weight will stablize. You will at some point need to figure out your TDEE, to insure you are not still under eating.

You are doing great! You may want to start a journal on the forums to keep track of your progress or just to share thoughts and feeling.

Happy Eating!

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
11-21-2014, 09:22 PM
(11-20-2014 03:15 PM)Nadoriel Wrote:  Wow! Ok, I might be wrong because I seriously don't get inches and feet and pounds. But that seems a really low weight for your height. The initial one at least. Not to mention that 1000 cals is dangerous, no wonder your body started to get back at you.

Anyway, if you trust your personal trainer, that's okay. I think that what's advised in this forum is basically to slowly get to your TDEE calories, like adding 100 calories every 2 weeks or so, so your body can get used to what it really needs. I dunno what that glycemic diet is, but just be careful not to hurt yourself more! You've been starving until now, making weird experiments might not be a good idea. Still... since you didn't give specifics, that's just my humble opinion.

In any case, your body lost all glycogen stores while your were dieting. The first thing it does when you start eating more, is getting that back which will cause a slight bump in your weight. It's good AND normal. Also, since you started doing different kind of exercise and eating different foods, I guess your body is just a bit bloated and those 5 more pounds are water weight. That might make you feel bigger. Remind yourself that weight isn't a stable thing, before I would tell you I weight 67kg. But to be honest I weight around 64.5 to 67kg depending on when I do it. It goes up and down every day, every hour depending on what you drink, sweat, eat, exercise. Measuring yourself might be a better idea.

If you are eating your TDEE you will never get "fat". You'll just get enough body mass for that calorie intake. And by enough, it's literally enough to make your body work properly at that weight. That will be fat and lean tissue. If it's more than your TDEE you'll get extra mass, but it's nothing you can't get rid off later on anyway. You don't get "fat" from one day to another. It takes months and years of eating too much regarding what you actually spend. I took around 23 years to get to this ^^ it was a lot of hard work(not) ahahaha xD

Still you should take pictures ^^ and in 4-6months compare yourself to them. Maybe before. That's the best way to see what's happening.

I did take pictures! thank you :-) As sad as it makes me see my "fat" self in the pictures, at least i have a goal to work towards to.
And yes i do agree with you on the DONT DIET approach, this glycemic list he gave me it's just a list of the healthiest choices you can make. It doesn't restrict any food group, it just gives you the healthiest choice.
i was actually talking to my mother about it, she just got diagnosed with diabetes and the "glycemic index" approach is what they prescribed her!
so far i think it's good. Trainer hasn't really talked about caloric intake and nothing too scientific (which puts me at ease in a weird way because im so hysterical about that stuff ;-) go figure....) i guess i can slowly add up the cals... i went 200 cals in addition so im now at a steady 700 - 800 a day....Im trying to go slow, but like i said the process of feeling my body have extra meat is kinda defeating....

and about the extra pounds they are fat for sure..or water. because my clothes certainly DON"T fit. and i can see the difference in my body no way around it LOL
11-21-2014, 09:33 PM
(11-21-2014 06:52 AM)jaeone Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 03:06 AM)AllyBlue77 Wrote:  hi all...haven't been here in a while.

Hi Ally, Glad to see you back!! Its great to hear you have a trainer who is concerned about your nutrition and fueling your body.

I know it is tough seeing the weight come on, we have all been there. But look at the big picture, you were so thin before because you weren't eating enough. So the weight you were probably at was not maintainable. So now you are eating better and working out,( Is that 3 days a week? You said 3 times a day, I hope that was a typo!)
Plus the 5 pounds you have gained in 5 days IS NOT FAT, its water and other stuff! I do think you need to track your macros. Protein is very important right now, you calories should be at least 30% protein intake. This will help you restore and keep the new muscle you are building.
You are on the right track. But continue to up your calories, your weight will stablize. You will at some point need to figure out your TDEE, to insure you are not still under eating.

You are doing great! You may want to start a journal on the forums to keep track of your progress or just to share thoughts and feeling.

Happy Eating!

LOL yes yes 3 times a week!! TYPO much?!
i hope you are right about the weight gain not being FAT...because i feel bigger and my clothes feel tighter! I am watching my macro intake LOL behind my trainers back...i made 25% carb, 35% fat and 40% protein.
i think its sensible what do you think? i got those numbers from reading and playing around with an online calculator....

thanks for your reply ...it really helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel. I want this process to be also a way to change those thought patterns that make you want to say "screw this eating more thing let's just go back to the 3 day military diet" .... know what i mean?

the trainer i found is so far pretty amazing. He probably doesn't want to overwhelm me with so much change ? he is a body builder himself and has worked for the navy for 11 years (he puts the out of shape kids to pass their navy examinations and their body fat tests) and has been a PT for the past 5 years... so im sure he knows a thing or two? .... i'm sure he knows about the importance of setting up the macros ? .....he told me yesterday he just wants me to be able to stay consistent with eating 6 times a day from a healthy list of foods he gave me...
im assuming he will assess then move on to the macro part once i've established a pattern of eating?

i am certainly going to start a journal...Thanks for the suggestion...it's a great way to vent and know that someone out there knows what this is like!
not a lot of people understand what im trying to do! so it's kinda frustrating how i can't share my thoughts with my friends lol
thanks again, jaeone!
11-22-2014, 03:06 AM
If you go to the website, macros they advise is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. You should have at least around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

Thing with the food is... it's not really religion and it's definitely no set in stones. As long as it makes you feel good and it makes your lifestyle healthy, it's good food. So it's just a matter to see if that works for you or not. I have definitely more than 6 meals a day, at least working days. That's just because I snack loads in between my already very big meals, mostly because I get hungry.

To be honest as long as you eat TDEE or less, you could eat ice creams all day and not get fat. Obviously although ice creams have a goodish intake of protein, they are not very saciable. So you can really eat whatever you like it. If you like veggies, go on with them, if you like chocolates, go on with them. Most people here lost weight or fat while still eating all those things they want. I'm specially that bad example, since I don't like greens and fruits and my snacks are mainly cookies and chocolates. I do try and get healthy stuff sometimes. In any other case my blood results are better than ever.

Plus, carbs are great to give you energy.
11-22-2014, 12:01 PM
(11-20-2014 03:06 AM)AllyBlue77 Wrote:  I just need encouragement from anybody on how to get through it. I am feeling uncomfortable, my clothes don't fit. I hid all my skinny clothes but even my "big" clothes are starting to feel tight. Im not going back to my old eating habits, i mean im up 17 pounds and im not gonna mess it up now. i just can't help but feel huge and i kinda wanna cry. i feel it in my legs i feel it in my thighs and my arms and i could go on

Hi Ally, welcome! You have already gotten great advice so I just wanted to say that I distinctly remember the feeling huge and squishy stages, and it passes - just keep on going. For me, I had that feeling and just kept lifting. My thought was that if I'm gaining weight, at least I'm gaining muscle too. And while the scale weight leveled off at the higher weight during reset, I just felt less gross, to put it eloquently lol. Buy a few pieces of clothes you feel good in to get through this timeframe (hint, pants and jeans with stretch) and just concentrate on the fact that you are getting healthy and strong and that this too shall pass.
11-23-2014, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 03:12 PM by AllyBlue77.)
(11-22-2014 12:01 PM)emma Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 03:06 AM)AllyBlue77 Wrote:  I just need encouragement from anybody on how to get through it. I am feeling uncomfortable, my clothes don't fit. I hid all my skinny clothes but even my "big" clothes are starting to feel tight. Im not going back to my old eating habits, i mean im up 17 pounds and im not gonna mess it up now. i just can't help but feel huge and i kinda wanna cry. i feel it in my legs i feel it in my thighs and my arms and i could go on

Hi Ally, welcome! You have already gotten great advice so I just wanted to say that I distinctly remember the feeling huge and squishy stages, and it passes - just keep on going. For me, I had that feeling and just kept lifting. My thought was that if I'm gaining weight, at least I'm gaining muscle too. And while the scale weight leveled off at the higher weight during reset, I just felt less gross, to put it eloquently lol. Buy a few pieces of clothes you feel good in to get through this timeframe (hint, pants and jeans with stretch) and just concentrate on the fact that you are getting healthy and strong and that this too shall pass.

Thanks!!!! Im relieved it's not just me!! LOL in a very selfish kinda way..
I am up 2.4 pounds as we speak, but you are right the more i work out and lift the more i feel like at least it's not just ALL fat!
i will buy only 2 pairs of pants that are bigger than my big fat pants and that's it. otherwise ill feel like im giving in or something
"this too shall pass" i like that .... thanks!

(11-22-2014 03:06 AM)Nadoriel Wrote:  If you go to the website, macros they advise is 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. You should have at least around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

Thing with the food is... it's not really religion and it's definitely no set in stones. As long as it makes you feel good and it makes your lifestyle healthy, it's good food. So it's just a matter to see if that works for you or not. I have definitely more than 6 meals a day, at least working days. That's just because I snack loads in between my already very big meals, mostly because I get hungry.

To be honest as long as you eat TDEE or less, you could eat ice creams all day and not get fat. Obviously although ice creams have a goodish intake of protein, they are not very saciable. So you can really eat whatever you like it. If you like veggies, go on with them, if you like chocolates, go on with them. Most people here lost weight or fat while still eating all those things they want. I'm specially that bad example, since I don't like greens and fruits and my snacks are mainly cookies and chocolates. I do try and get healthy stuff sometimes. In any other case my blood results are better than ever.

Plus, carbs are great to give you energy.

got it! yeah that makes sense... so anything goes as long as it fits in your macros? ..... i didn't think about that, but I like it. especially he chocolate part ;-)
11-23-2014, 07:19 PM
I dunno if you can have a look, but if you are on myfitnesspal add me and have a look at my diary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Nadoriel
You'll see what I mean.

Technically yeah. You choose your macros and eat whatever your want as long as you go along with them. I find that very troublesome so I just go with >100g of protein a day and whatever makes me happy and full through the day that fills in the calories I want.

It's basically what's easier for you to maintain. Habits are very hard to change. I changed from a very very sedentary life to go to the gym 2, 3x a week. Although I didn't change my food habits that much, I did make a few changes like counting calories, adding more protein, etc. That's enough for me for 1 year or 2. I know that if I try more than that, I'll just ruin everything like I did every other time before. But to be honest, I like the idea of the freedom to be able to eat what you like in the quantities you like.
11-24-2014, 06:51 AM
I'm with Nadoriel. I have my protein macros that I follow - >100 grams is my go to, though I do try to get up even higher if I can (goal is 123 grams). Other than that, I try to eat some fruit or veg every day and a treat for me.