Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Curious ....
11-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Curious ....
Hi all,

Im dying to know what you all think about nutrition.

What makes your metabolism function properly? what makes one stay at an "ideal" alas "low weight"?

It is "calories in/calories out"? or "eat 6x's a day'? does it matter how many times a day you eat as long as you eat ALL the calories you're allowed? or is that overload on the body? Let's assume that there is metabolic damage.

I have heard opposing arguments (all from experts, coaches, former wrestlers, trainers, dietitians)...

Where do you stand on this?

Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2014, 11:10 AM
RE: Curious ....
Good question. I think if anyone definitively knew the answer they'd be a billionaire! Personally I think eating habits have much less of an impact on metabolism versus chemicals in our food, stress, pollutants, and biological chemical imbalances unrelated to food habits. Where food does come in might the be stress component. Assuming one's metabolism is functioning well enough, ie no thyroid issues, I think ideal weight (which is not necessarily a low weight) is calories in/calories out. People seem to do ok on eating once a day, 3 times a day, 6 times a day and I've heard varying opinions about each, so I think its really just individual preference. Totally just my opinion. Curious what others think...
11-26-2014, 05:26 PM
I think if I hadn't dieted in my 20s, then what would have kept me at my ideal weight would have been eating at TDEE and exercising. I don't think the type of food really counts in terms of weight, though it does in terms of overall health, unless you have some sort of specific issue due to body chemistry.
11-26-2014, 06:39 PM
You need enough lean and fat mass for your body to function properly. It shows on the blood screen if your body is functioning properly, but if you're making a big mental effort to stay at a determined weight, being cranky all the time, tired, missing periods, bad skin/hair, what you're eating is probably just not enough. You can achieve a lean look weighting quite a lot actually, so I think that as long as you're eating enough to be satisfied, then that's what you're supposed to be eating and weighing. And then that depends on what you want to do with your body really. For example, I've always been considered overweight, more or less at 64kg for several years and I never felt good with my flabby body. Thing is, I was good with the amount of food I ate, but I wanted to lose weight to lose fat. When I started this journey I was weighing 78kg, and now I'm back to 64.8-67.8kg, depending on day. And I feel comfortable eating this amount of food. And, I look better than how I did before with this weight! That's why I'm not really interesting in losing more weight, because that means eating less.

Also showing on blood tests, and on your moods if you are eating too much. I never felt well when I was binge eating or overeating. I was just trying to fill in an emptiness that had nothing to do with food at all, or simply eating too fast, or just trying to please someone. And since I wasn't feeling good with myself I probably wasn't making others feel good either.

I think that is mainly calories in calories out unless a person has some health issues. In that case, the person needs to solve those problems first and then it's calories in vs calories out. I have hypothyroidism. As it is somehow controlled, I managed to lose weight like anyone else. And as I already mentioned, I don't think it matters how many times you eat, but the calories you get in and out. Those are just your own strategies to eat better.
12-06-2014, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 03:56 AM by AllyBlue77.)
(11-26-2014 06:39 PM)Nadoriel Wrote:  You need enough lean and fat mass for your body to function properly. It shows on the blood screen if your body is functioning properly, but if you're making a big mental effort to stay at a determined weight, being cranky all the time, tired, missing periods, bad skin/hair, what you're eating is probably just not enough. You can achieve a lean look weighting quite a lot actually, so I think that as long as you're eating enough to be satisfied, then that's what you're supposed to be eating and weighing. And then that depends on what you want to do with your body really. For example, I've always been considered overweight, more or less at 64kg for several years and I never felt good with my flabby body. Thing is, I was good with the amount of food I ate, but I wanted to lose weight to lose fat. When I started this journey I was weighing 78kg, and now I'm back to 64.8-67.8kg, depending on day. And I feel comfortable eating this amount of food. And, I look better than how I did before with this weight! That's why I'm not really interesting in losing more weight, because that means eating less.

Also showing on blood tests, and on your moods if you are eating too much. I never felt well when I was binge eating or overeating. I was just trying to fill in an emptiness that had nothing to do with food at all, or simply eating too fast, or just trying to please someone. And since I wasn't feeling good with myself I probably wasn't making others feel good either.

I think that is mainly calories in calories out unless a person has some health issues. In that case, the person needs to solve those problems first and then it's calories in vs calories out. I have hypothyroidism. As it is somehow controlled, I managed to lose weight like anyone else. And as I already mentioned, I don't think it matters how many times you eat, but the calories you get in and out. Those are just your own strategies to eat better.

i get it, totally a change in mood for me as well (except i get kinda sad not being able to fit into my pants and even sweatpants!!! gosh even my jackets are too tight from my arms)
anyhow, have you read Tom Venuto's "burn the fat, keep the muscle"? i guess it explains the reason behind the eating 6 small meals a day. It's for people like me who have been going on VLCD's for a long time to the point where we are not only NOT losing but GAINING on very low cals....
so that's when eating more comes in....not only more but i guess counting your macros has a lot to do with body composition and not only that but you have to do it apparently in slooooowwwww mooootion.

I have done all of the above except for the slow motion part, i upped my cals twice the amount i was eating (still low for some people, enough for me for now)

FYI look in my fitness pal....i gained 2.4 pounds again this week..! trainer says it's normal and i have put on muscle as well...so not all bad (in an already bad situation!)

:-)

(11-26-2014 05:26 PM)mrsukyankee Wrote:  I think if I hadn't dieted in my 20s, then what would have kept me at my ideal weight would have been eating at TDEE and exercising. I don't think the type of food really counts in terms of weight, though it does in terms of overall health, unless you have some sort of specific issue due to body chemistry.

yup, i think there are issues with my body chemistry from very long periods of VLCD's Sad....

i wish i had known better when i started..... *sigh*
12-06-2014, 04:00 AM
(11-26-2014 11:10 AM)emma Wrote:  Good question. I think if anyone definitively knew the answer they'd be a billionaire! Personally I think eating habits have much less of an impact on metabolism versus chemicals in our food, stress, pollutants, and biological chemical imbalances unrelated to food habits. Where food does come in might the be stress component. Assuming one's metabolism is functioning well enough, ie no thyroid issues, I think ideal weight (which is not necessarily a low weight) is calories in/calories out. People seem to do ok on eating once a day, 3 times a day, 6 times a day and I've heard varying opinions about each, so I think its really just individual preference. Totally just my opinion. Curious what others think...

i think calories in/calories out, is the answer when metabolism is functioning. me on the other hand.... not working at all, slowwwww as a turtle. Im becoming super interested in the science part of this journey, and i found an article or book or whatever called feed the muscle, lose the fat. and it talks about that. the man was a bodybuilder apparently. but so far i've read so much and you are right: there's no one answer.....

*sigh* ill have to wait this out!
12-06-2014, 12:55 PM
It is almost always calories in vs calories out. However, there are always things that go with that. How damaged is your metabolism? Fix that by finally eating what your body needs and the calories in/calories out will work the way it's supposed to. Thyroid issues. Fix that and the calories in/calories out will work. In my case it was food intolerances. I fixed that and the calories in/calories out started working. Before that I felt like I was just beating my head against a wall. I knew I was doing it right but I just kept gaining and feeling worse. Stress is a big one too. It's easy to say fix that, but sometimes that's beyond our control.

Timing on calories is all up to the individual and what works for them. It still comes down to the calories at the end of the day or week. The macros are important too. You can't eat carbs all day long and expect to stay in your calorie range because you will be burning through them so fast that you will be ravenous but out of calories. It's the balance of your macros that make it so you feel satisfied, rebuild muscle, and have the fuel you need to get through your day happy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-06-2014, 05:15 PM
(12-06-2014 12:55 PM)LikeAGirl Wrote:  It is almost always calories in vs calories out. However, there are always things that go with that. How damaged is your metabolism? Fix that by finally eating what your body needs and the calories in/calories out will work the way it's supposed to. Thyroid issues. Fix that and the calories in/calories out will work. In my case it was food intolerances. I fixed that and the calories in/calories out started working. Before that I felt like I was just beating my head against a wall. I knew I was doing it right but I just kept gaining and feeling worse. Stress is a big one too. It's easy to say fix that, but sometimes that's beyond our control.

Timing on calories is all up to the individual and what works for them. It still comes down to the calories at the end of the day or week. The macros are important too. You can't eat carbs all day long and expect to stay in your calorie range because you will be burning through them so fast that you will be ravenous but out of calories. It's the balance of your macros that make it so you feel satisfied, rebuild muscle, and have the fuel you need to get through your day happy

For me it was extreme low calorie intake for 3 years, now im slowly getting out of it, so i've gone from barely eating to eating 6 times a day ( i am at a very low still 700 calories and im gaining 2 pounds per week for 2 weeks.....)
i wish there was a time frame :-)

for me it's not about calories in calories out unfortunately !