Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have I been in deficit long enough for full reset?
02-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Have I been in deficit long enough for full reset?
I joined MFP about 3 weeks ago. I have been eating 1200-1500 calories a day, usually around 1300. I exercise about 5 times a week( hiit, pilates, lifting 5lb and 10lb weights). My TDEE is 2400, BMR is 1548, and a 15% deficit would be 2040. My question is have I done enough damage to need a full reset or should I just go ahead and eat 2040 calories a day?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2015, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2015 03:21 PM by jaeone.)
RE: Have I been in deficit long enough for full reset?
Hi there! We're glad you found us! If youve only been eating that low a month or so, you won't need a reset. I would recommend you adding calories slowly and work your way up to the 2040. Add maybe 100 calories every other day so, to get you body used to eating again slowly. I would also recommend just a 10% deficit. Go slow and consistent.
What type of activity do you do for exercise? What was your eating like before MFP? If you would be willing to give a little more background That would be great!
Also check out the starterkit! Lots of great info there on the whole process!

Joan
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken! kiss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/jaeone
02-05-2015, 05:02 PM
(02-02-2015 03:19 PM)jaeone Wrote:  Hi there! We're glad you found us! If youve only been eating that low a month or so, you won't need a reset. I would recommend you adding calories slowly and work your way up to the 2040. Add maybe 100 calories every other day so, to get you body used to eating again slowly. I would also recommend just a 10% deficit. Go slow and consistent.
What type of activity do you do for exercise? What was your eating like before MFP? If you would be willing to give a little more background That would be great!
Also check out the starterkit! Lots of great info there on the whole process!
Actually I made a mistake some how, my real stats are: BMR of 1421, TDEE of 2203, and a 15% deficit will be 1873. It's hard for me to reach 1873 calories by eating clean, which I try to do.
Before MFP I ate whatever I wanted, and had large portion sizes. Now I've cleaned my eating up. I'm 5'4 and by now probably around 125-127 pounds. I do a lot of walking because I'm in school and I try to do atleast one session of hiit a week and when I exercise I use 5lb and 10lb weights. I usually exercise every other day, anywhere from 30min-2hrs.
I want to maintain muscle and burn fat, not build muscle. I know everyone complains about not wanting to get bulky and I'm in that category also, I don't want to be bulky. Although I do get muscle tone in my arms pretty easily, which I don't mind. Any exercise tips, diet tips, or other advice are welcome. Thanks
02-07-2015, 08:15 AM
You'll find later on that eating that amount gets too easy ^^ dig in on nuts, healthy fats and so on.

To be honest.. I don't get it and don't really like the idea of eating "clean". But if you start eating a bit more every week or every 2 weeks, it should get easier on you, whatever diet you have. However, it should be a diet you can maintain long term. This isn't yo-yo dieting, this is lifestyle. Most of us here will eat desserts, or chocolates and candies once in a while. It's within calories, it doesn't make you fat, but it just makes it better to live. It means you don't need to stop going out with friends, or eating birthday cakes. It makes it easier to live, no concerns, no need for bingeing, because you are just satisfied and happy happy

Also, only thing I'd say about diet, try and keep your protein at least above 100g a day to help maintain lean body mass.

In any case, the best way to burn fat is actually building muscle. But don't worry... it's impossible for you to get bulky or even get any new muscle. It takes years. Like, many, many years of training hard AND eating hard. With 1800 cals a day you just don't build muscles. With that kind of diet you basically just more or less maintain your muscles while losing a bit of fat here and there and also a bit of lean body mass (hence the high protein intake).

Now the thing is... even if you don't build muscle with that diet, training with the same weights all the time will stop taking any effect. See your body adapts perfectly well to the stuff you regularly do. You need to increase your weights regularly and keep it hard, so that your muscles are actually challenged. That will even make your body consume more calories a day to repair your muscles. If you don't do that... you stop burning as many calories, because your body adapted so well it doesn't need to repair anymore.

So.. advise: Lift heavy weights, and keep increasing the weights every week or so. Eat big on protein, and eat what you like within the calories you found (you should reset on 2203 cals a day for at least 4-8 weeks though, before attempting a cut). If you don't like lifting weights, then try bodyweight training. I strongly advise Stronglifts program for beginner heavy lifters, and Start bodyweight workout for beginner bodyweight stuff. It will be challenging, I assure you.

And really don't worry. The only way I know I have muscles is because I'm stronger than before and I've been lifting for 1y and a half. I'm leaner, I'm fitter, I'm healthier... but I definitely don't look bulky at all xD I wish I did a bit more!! But I still need to lose some body fat before I attempt to bulk happy
02-07-2015, 12:20 PM
(02-07-2015 08:15 AM)Nadoriel Wrote:  But don't worry... it's impossible for you to get bulky or even get any new muscle. It takes years. Like, many, many years of training hard AND eating hard. With 1800 cals a day you just don't build muscles. With that kind of diet you basically just more or less maintain your muscles while losing a bit of fat here and there and also a bit of lean body mass (hence the high protein intake).

And really don't worry. The only way I know I have muscles is because I'm stronger than before and I've been lifting for 1y and a half. I'm leaner, I'm fitter, I'm healthier... but I definitely don't look bulky at all xD I wish I did a bit more!! But I still need to lose some body fat before I attempt to bulk happy

Yep. Biggest misconception out there; its alongside's 1200 cal per day + daily elliptical to lose weight, lol. You don't get bulky muscles unless you try to, usually with the help of something illegal. I've been lifting for almost 2 years. I've done NROLFW, Starting Strength, Cathe's STS, kettlebells, bodyweight resistance, a lot of different programs. My preferred lifting is HEAVY for short sets of 5 reps. I bulked (unintentionally) during that period, I've cut, I've maintained. I am fighting to get more definition in my arms, definitely not bulky. Women just don't have the testosterone to stumble upon bulky.
02-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Something I've noticed that is slightly bothering me is that I'm losing inches and not pounds. Before my weight was steadily dropping but now it's slowly climbing. I don't know if it's water weight, but two weeks ago it was around 127 and now it's 130. I've lost almost 1 1/2 inches off my thighs, but ugh it makes me want to go back to low calorie+tons of cardio. Maybe I should stay off the scale for awhile.
Also thanks for your tips. I don't have a gym membership and probably won't be getting one anytime soon, so for now 5 and 10lbs is all I can use and it still challenges me. I'm trying to slim my thighs (they are my "problem area") so I added weighted lower body exercises but became fearful that they would just make my thighs larger.
02-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Just remember there's no such thing as exercises for a problem area. It doesn't matter. Your body will lose fat on even places more or less. And your "problem areas" will be the last to disappear for two reasons: first, they are usually the areas with most fat, so it really takes longer; second: psychologically they will always be your problem areas.

My thighs are huge, as normal, but after squatting more than my weight and trying hard pistol squats... my thighs are a tiny bit smaller but definitely less floppy.

Also, if your goal is really looking leaner.. forget the weight really xD as long as you look as you want, does it really matter if you weight more? My family doesn't believe I weigh what I do, and I definitely look much smaller than what I used to with this weight. And there are a lot of leaner people than me with my weight. I intend to become one of them. But losing more weight? That just means eating less ^^ not on my watch!
02-07-2015, 06:58 PM
(02-07-2015 06:05 PM)Nadoriel Wrote:  Just remember there's no such thing as exercises for a problem area. It doesn't matter. Your body will lose fat on even places more or less. And your "problem areas" will be the last to disappear for two reasons: first, they are usually the areas with most fat, so it really takes longer; second: psychologically they will always be your problem areas.

My thighs are huge, as normal, but after squatting more than my weight and trying hard pistol squats... my thighs are a tiny bit smaller but definitely less floppy.

Also, if your goal is really looking leaner.. forget the weight really xD as long as you look as you want, does it really matter if you weight more? My family doesn't believe I weigh what I do, and I definitely look much smaller than what I used to with this weight. And there are a lot of leaner people than me with my weight. I intend to become one of them. But losing more weight? That just means eating less ^^ not on my watch!

Yes all day long. How do I "like" this post, lol?

And re: losing inches vs pounds... This is what you want! Would you rather be a fit 130 and look 120, or just be 120 and look "floppy" (to borrow from Nadoriel?), possibly looking 130? The scale number is just a vanity number and nobody needs to know it but you. However, everyone sees you. I'll take smaller inches any day.

An anecdote: I'm 5'9''. I had dieted and cardio'd miserably down to 149. I looked floppy but smaller than what I had looked like. So I was kinda happy? but not really - I was waiting for the god-awful toning up (I really really hate that term) to happen. In the meantime I bought some skinny dress pants and I was determined to never not fit into them ever. Then the scale got stuck no matter how much I worked out or didn't eat, and I found this group, did my reset, swapped cardio for heavy lifting, cut, maintained, just started a cut again about 2 weeks ago. This week I got out the skinny pants again. I weigh 155. The pants are baggy on me and I'm debating about donating them. I look waaaayyy better even at 160 than 149, which BTW I managed to cling to that 149 for literally all of about 2 weeks. The scale is just a number and merely one way to measure progress (not the only way).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How long to adjust? ALSO holidays?? JsuaMils 3 4,378 10-02-2013 06:48 PM
Last Post: JsuaMils
  Still Full at 7th week Daphnemomof9 3 4,478 07-12-2012 12:12 AM
Last Post: Raynn