Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starting over again - with lots of muscle?
02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Starting over again - with lots of muscle?
A little background....I had done EM2WL for a good 4-5 years. It WORKED. Worked awesome, actually - to the point that I felt like I could probably rock a bikini for the first time in my life ever. I had started weighlifting a few years earlier (AFTER starting EM2WL) and had really gotten muscular. But my nutrition wasn't the greatest, so I decided to clean up my diet to drop those last few pounds and really show off my muscle. That's when things started to get screwy.

Looking back, I know now that it failed because my calories dipped too low (replacing a big turkey sandwich with only egg whites will do that!), but I started gaining weight. In compensation, I started working out more and eating less. I was gaining up to 2 lbs a week with 2 hours of exercise a day and 1500 cals. I freaked. Stopped working out hard (just light weights to maintain and 30 mins of light walking as cardio), plus taking in 1300-1400 cals a day. I was way off my exercise routine and my calorie intake and in the past year, I have gained almost 30 lbs and am now trying to get my body back. I know that more calories and lifting heavy work for me, so I need to get back to that place. But I'm having trouble figuring out the numbers because my situation is different than it was before.

My biggest problem I'm encountering on this second round is that I didn't lift heavy weights when I started my first go-round, and my cut was 1870. That worked for me, but I was also doing bicep curls with "heavy" 8 lb dumbells, and would use 2 hands to move a 15 lb one across the room. wink This time - 5 years later - I am definitely bulked up. I can outlift my husband on most exercises, now up to 30 lbs on curls. I know this plays a huge role in TDEE, but I'm not sure how to factor all of that in. Should I just start with 1870 (my recommended cut as per Scooby) and work up from there until I start seeing weight loss? Or should I start with my TDEE for a metabolic reset and adjust from there? Or is there an online calculator that accounts for muscle mass?

Thanks in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2015, 07:57 AM
RE: Starting over again - with lots of muscle?
Heya!!!

Your body fat definitely affects how many calories you should eat daily. To be honest though, I think the best approach to you should be eating more until your weight stabilizes and you manage to find your own TDEE. BUT... there's some calculators that use body fat like the Accurate Scooby's calculator.

If your body fat is so low, or your lean mass is so awesome you can always do like Go Kaleo and make yourself a "male" in normal calculators Go Kaleo
She basically eats around 3000 cals a day and calculated that by changing the sex to male on calculators, since her body fat is low and she is basically hard lean muscles xD

Still.. it's basically an estimate, either way happy Also.. in my humble opinion.. I'd probably start with TDEE for a nice reset. Your body probably got a bit confused with the low cal intake so you should make it realize what you should really be eating first.

Good luck!
02-07-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't know my body fat but it's higher than before - I was at 21%, I'm estimating it's around 25% now. With the new calculators, it's showing my TDEE anywhere from 2300-2800. So I'll bump up to 2300 and work from there. I'm starting a second round of Cathe's STS on Monday, so those cals will be put to good use. happy
02-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Yeaahh!! xD Eating more should never be a big problem, as you can always lower it down anyway.

One day i'll have to try those Cathe's things... in any case, it sounds awesome enough happy enjoy!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone else starting out of shape? panda7353 1 2,642 01-22-2016 09:10 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Starting again Kirstio 6 7,096 07-01-2015 10:26 AM
  Can you gain muscle while eating below TDEE? MaryGold 2 7,008 04-23-2015 07:27 PM
  Just starting out and want to make sure this is right Chalagurl 7 9,483 03-10-2015 06:04 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  starting my metoblic reset day 1 Katie Girl 1 3,089 05-13-2013 06:47 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  Not clear on what to expect when doing NROLFW while starting my reset! ajmccracken11 2 5,909 04-24-2013 03:21 PM
Last Post: ajmccracken11
  STARTING OUT QUESTIONS stacyd717 4 7,854 10-11-2012 03:31 PM
Last Post: Lucia
  new here and starting metabolism reset cwilliams8676 5 8,869 10-10-2012 12:08 PM
Last Post: EvelynNoor
  how much do i need to eat to gain muscle? emcwilli 11 16,016 07-22-2012 04:46 AM
Last Post: EvelynNoor