Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Something new
02-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Something new
So Hi! I've never tried to lose on higher calories....ever. So....why not.

A little background....

41 yrs old. 5'5" married mom of 3 (18, 15, and 13). I've been lifting weights for 18 years. In Aug of 2012 I decided to lose weight for the last time (in 2005 I lost 80 lbs on a fad diet...fast and furious....it came back and brought friends). I started counting calories.

I never really went too low (a few weeks here and there was 1400). 1650 was my average. I've lost 75 lbs (249.6 to 174.6). My average weight loss is .6lbs per week. I maintained over the summer with parties and such.

I have only taken days off here and there but never a full diet break so when I went on vacation last week (11 days total) I decided it was a good time.

I didn't diet or count or work out and ate lots. Came back 10 lbs heavier. My guess is 6 lbs water weight and 4 lbs actual weight gain.

So starting this at 189.2

Spread sheet and scooby calculator and Bodymedia fit consensus is cutting at 2400 cals per day. Aiming for 130g Protein, 80G fat and fill in the rest with carbs.

I'll be honest and tell you I think that it's too high. Also, I'm stuffed today and am only at 1350 so far. Normally, I wouldn't be stuffed at that. I can easily get to 1900. But...I didn't start eating until late (was shoveling AGAIN!!!! ) and still stuffed from my 8 night cruise. LOL

So....here goes the journal and experiment....I'll post daily weigh ins and daily activity including weight lifting.

I normally follow a 5x5 program (doing a 3x5 cutting version). Squat, bench, dead, BOR, OHP, curls, skulls, etc.

I am a house cleaner by trade (my own business and I work alone). My schedule varies....some weeks I work 4 days...others 2.....

I do some cardio (walking on the treadmill nice and easy in the winter...hikes outside with the pups in warmer weather).

Ok... I think that's it. If you want to follow...great. Any suggestions....I'll take them.

Oh...and I'll post a before and current (well before my cruise..LOL).

Kristen

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2015, 06:49 AM
RE: Something new
I'm not a veteran in here... but as fas as I know we all have stories similar to yours. But I really think that with the activity level you have and the lifestyle you have you should try to eat more. You can start slowly, I also started at more or less 1500 calories and feelling like a Thanksgiving turkey, but I started increasing my intake slowly (100 calories every two weeks or every week, this depends on how you're feeling) and, when you finally get close to the number your hunger also increases, and your body is like "well now I don't have to keep it for so long". I'm actually at a TDEE of 2400 calories and I wish I could eat more haha!
02-23-2015, 07:46 AM
(02-23-2015 06:49 AM)juliacarreras Wrote:  I'm not a veteran in here... but as fas as I know we all have stories similar to yours. But I really think that with the activity level you have and the lifestyle you have you should try to eat more. You can start slowly, I also started at more or less 1500 calories and feelling like a Thanksgiving turkey, but I started increasing my intake slowly (100 calories every two weeks or every week, this depends on how you're feeling) and, when you finally get close to the number your hunger also increases, and your body is like "well now I don't have to keep it for so long". I'm actually at a TDEE of 2400 calories and I wish I could eat more haha!

LOL! Thanks for stopping in!

I got to 2223 yesterday....I started to eat to late. Won't be that way today. I wasn't increasing slowly because I had a near 2 week diet break. Ate way passed maintenance. First one I've taken in 2 1/2 years. Most of the literature/ science that I've read says that it's sufficient to "reset". Now I'll try to eat close to what my BodyMedia says to eat with 15% deficit.

Yesterday my armband only had me at a 2740 burn for the day which is the LOWEST I've gotten...even on my most sedentary days. Which...my theory is.....I did not lift weights since Weds Feb. 11 and lost a bit of muscle. Just a theory.

Back to lifting this morning though. Will weigh in after I've gone to the bathroom and post here in a bit.

Kristen
02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
(02-23-2015 07:46 AM)kmac1196 Wrote:  
(02-23-2015 06:49 AM)juliacarreras Wrote:  I'm not a veteran in here... but as fas as I know we all have stories similar to yours. But I really think that with the activity level you have and the lifestyle you have you should try to eat more. You can start slowly, I also started at more or less 1500 calories and feelling like a Thanksgiving turkey, but I started increasing my intake slowly (100 calories every two weeks or every week, this depends on how you're feeling) and, when you finally get close to the number your hunger also increases, and your body is like "well now I don't have to keep it for so long". I'm actually at a TDEE of 2400 calories and I wish I could eat more haha!

LOL! Thanks for stopping in!

I got to 2223 yesterday....I started to eat to late. Won't be that way today. I wasn't increasing slowly because I had a near 2 week diet break. Ate way passed maintenance. First one I've taken in 2 1/2 years. Most of the literature/ science that I've read says that it's sufficient to "reset". Now I'll try to eat close to what my BodyMedia says to eat with 15% deficit.

Yesterday my armband only had me at a 2740 burn for the day which is the LOWEST I've gotten...even on my most sedentary days. Which...my theory is.....I did not lift weights since Weds Feb. 11 and lost a bit of muscle. Just a theory.

Back to lifting this morning though. Will weigh in after I've gone to the bathroom and post here in a bit.

Kristen
Welcome and I look forward to reading about your journey.
02-24-2015, 02:29 PM
So yesterday I was up .2 OUCH. I usually have a big drop in water weight when I get back from vacation. So that was odd. I mean I already gained the 10lbs of mostly water. Sheesh.

Yesterdays calories were 2000. This morning I dropped 2 lbs.

Someone suggested IIFYM (Haybales) TDEE calc. Which comes up with 2050 so -15% of that is 1742.

Alan Aragon's calculator puts me at 1750 (goal weight x (hours working out per week +9.5). So....It is perhaps A little high to be at 2400.

Since I dropped a little at 2000 that will be my goal today too.

Still reading a lot of info....
02-24-2015, 02:34 PM
I know em2wl recommends using scooby's calc. Based on prev post if you burn 2700 cals some days 1700 cut is wayyy too low. In your op you stated cut cals being 2400. Unless your activity changed drastically why not stick with 2400?
02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
(02-24-2015 02:34 PM)Aliciab307 Wrote:  I know em2wl recommends using scooby's calc. Based on prev post if you burn 2700 cals some days 1700 cut is wayyy too low. In your op you stated cut cals being 2400. Unless your activity changed drastically why not stick with 2400?

Scooby calculator says TDEE 2169 and their calc of 15% deficit puts me at 1844.

I think my bodymedia might be over calculating.

Someone mentioned to check the sensors and it's registering the same cal burn for sleeping as for sitting watching TV (which they said it shouldn't.....Heybales mentioned it).

I was not going to jump down to 1700 but rather try 2000 .

Thoughts on that?

I mean there are so many differences in the calculations......And really not sure how accurate BMF is.
02-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Oh ok. Also I know your work schedule varies but it sounds like you're on your feet for the most part? Take the avg # of days per week and account that into your tdee. Some people are mod active with just exercise but when you factor in their normal activity they may be at the higher end of mod active or even very active.

If you're comfortable with 2k I'd suggest staying at that intake for at least 6-8 weeks. 3 things can happen. You'll maintain, gain or lose. Depending on how much you gain or lose you can gauge your true tdee.
02-24-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm very physical when I'm at work but pretty sedentary when I'm home. Today I cleaned a house for 3 hours straight. Busted my butt. Did some errands, came home to shower and am sitting again. It wipes me out. I'll be up and about to cook dinner and switch over laundry but by 7 I'll be sitting and by 9 in bed.

I figure, I did this job while obese, so I'm only going to count things over and above normal. I never really did low cal. I've done a few 1400 calorie days here or there but my body doesn't let me do that for more than 3 days in a row....I get super depressed (my hormones are apparently sensitive). I mostly have stayed in the 1600-1800 range. So the break I took was good and necessary. And now I'll chart what 2k does.

Won't it be lovely to have that be the magic number??
02-25-2015, 07:21 AM
So yesterday's cals were 1963. Will weigh in in a few. BM armband burn says 2655. Accounting for a 15% error margin will bring the burn to 2257. Still eating at slight deficit but very close to other calculations.

I am hungry this morning. Yesterday I wasn't at all. And I never wake up hungry but am hungry now.

Lifting this morning. I've been doing the cut version of ICF which is 3x5 and 2x8 on accessories. I'm going to try to bump it to the full 5x5 today since I have a bit of time and extra cals.

I'll post later results of scale and lifting.

Also keeping an eye on how clothes are fitting. I came back from my cruise and my size 12 Levis and 10 Old Navy jeans were TIGHT (they were perfect when I left). I also weighed in at 175 when I bought them. So since I hit 187.4 yesterday, I'm not surprised.

Anyway....tracking all things.