Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sweet Potato Hash
02-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Sweet Potato Hash
I love breakfast. And I love carbs. But I've been trying to find a way to integrate healthier carbs on occasion. I am insulin resistant and things like sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc. seem to wreak a lot less havoc on my system than white potatoes and rice.

So I've been playing around with a sweet potato hash and the version I made this morning was awesome!

226 grams of sweet potatoes
67 grams yellow onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
.5 tbsp olive oil

Cut the sweet potatoes into chunks (I usually leave the skin on, but it can be to your preference). Rough chop the onion and throw both into the food processor. Pulse until you get a good dice on all.

Heat a skillet on medium high with the olive oil. Toss in the sweet potato/onion mixture and stir to mix in the oil. Saute 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. A higher heat will also give you a little more browning.

Season as desired. A little garlic powder and sea salt work for me.

And you're done! It's really tasty and so versatile. You could add different seasonings, bell peppers, garlic (instead of powder), bacon...it just depends what you are in the mood for.

It looks like a lot of sweet potatoes to begin with, but the potatoes really cook down in the process. It's probably two servings worth, but I was hangry at lunch and ended up eating it all along with an egg/mushroom/spinach/bacon scramble.

Breakdown for the above batch (again, for most this would make 2 servings):
294 calories
55 carbs
7 fat
6 protein
537 sodium (you could use less sea salt to cut this down)
899 grams potassium
8 grams fiber
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2015, 04:52 AM
RE: Sweet Potato Hash
That sounds lovely!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  sweet potato latke recipe btatch 0 3,098 12-11-2015 11:31 AM