Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Metabolism Reset Group
06-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Metabolism Reset Group
This is for those members who have chosen to do a Metabolism reset by eating at their TDEE.
A Metabolism Reset is when you eat at your Maintenance Calories (TDEE) for a period of time. EMTWL recommends eating this for a period of 8 weeks to give your body enough time to realize you are no longer going to starve it. It is important to do a Reset, especially if you have been eating at a very low calorie (VLC) level for a long period of time beforehand. This can be a few months or a few years or more. However anyone can do a reset to make sure they are giving their bodies a fair shot at doing this "right"

It is also recommended to go back to your TDEE value every 6 weeks or so during your Cut phase, to ensure your body "remembers" that you arent starving it. Some people may only choose to do this if they are finding weight loss progress stalling after a while.

So this is a place to chat, vent, cry, cheer and enjoy the food we are eating, while healing our bodies. happy

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2012, 10:25 AM
RE: Metabolism Reset Group
Started my reset about 7 weeks ago (I had originally only upped my cals to TDEE-20% and stayed there for 8 weeks). So, one week to go and let me tell you that I'm scared!

I won (sort of) the mental battle of eating more to weigh less, I've gone past the bloat, not being hungry yet having to eat, and the inevitable gain at every increase in cals. The number on the scale scares me (even though I shouldn't look at it) and my clothes are more than uncomfortable (thank goodness for dresses and summer sales). However, I have finally reached a peaceful state of mind where I'm enjoying my food, not stressed about what I should or shouldn't be eating, not trying to be satisfied at 1200 cals, sleep better, just enjoying life.

The true test for me is that soon I have to cut...not so worried about eating 200 cals less (though I've learned to easily eat my 2100), just worried if this doesn't work. What if after all this gain, nothing happens? People are watching me to see what happens...well what if nothing happens?

I think I've given my body enough time to realize that I am no longer going to starve it. Will it believe me? We shall see!

On a side note, I've been a little lazy in terms of exercise (just really wanted to give my body a full, all around break). I've just continued my usual walks, cleaning and caring for kids. But, I read NROLFW and plan on starting it soon. Which, I suppose will cause me to increase my exercise level, so I may not have to actually cut! Just have to find/buy my equipment (don't want to start this at the gym at the risk of looking stupid trying to get the moves down packed!).

Ok, I'm going on and on....

Keeping my fingers crossed about all this!

Nadia
This makes sense, so it has to work Cool
06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi!

I also posted this on the board over at MFP so I apologize in advance if you are reading this for the second time.

I am in the middle of my 4th week of my reset and for the past 2 days I have been so tired. Like curl up under my desk and take a nap tired....I am going to bed at the same time and while I have increased the intensity of my workouts, I don't think it would cause me to be this sleepy.

Has anyone else experienced this during a reset? And if so, how long did it last? I want the amazing "wow I feel strong and energized" part to come back Confused

Thanks!
Carrie

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you're right"

---Henry Ford
06-28-2012, 06:26 AM
(06-27-2012 10:07 AM)Raynn Wrote:  This is for those members who have chosen to do a Metabolism reset by eating at their TDEE.
A Metabolism Reset is when you eat at your Maintenance Calories (TDEE) for a period of time. EMTWL recommends eating this for a period of 8 weeks to give your body enough time to realize you are no longer going to starve it. It is important to do a Reset, especially if you have been eating at a very low calorie (VLC) level for a long period of time beforehand. This can be a few months or a few years or more. However anyone can do a reset to make sure they are giving their bodies a fair shot at doing this "right"

It is also recommended to go back to your TDEE value every 6 weeks or so during your Cut phase, to ensure your body "remembers" that you arent starving it. Some people may only choose to do this if they are finding weight loss progress stalling after a while.

So this is a place to chat, vent, cry, cheer and enjoy the food we are eating, while healing our bodies. happy

I just started the reset, been at it for about a week. I'm not sure how much I needed it physically as I'd been eating basically what I wanted for a few weeks before starting at MFP (again). However, I think I need it mentally. I constantly want to feel guilty about eating things. I had no idea the energy I spent on that. Also I've noticed a trend where I'll eat what I want, though feeling guilty, but then go super low cal to "make up for it."
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
(06-27-2012 01:26 PM)carriea67 Wrote:  Hi!

I also posted this on the board over at MFP so I apologize in advance if you are reading this for the second time.

I am in the middle of my 4th week of my reset and for the past 2 days I have been so tired. Like curl up under my desk and take a nap tired....I am going to bed at the same time and while I have increased the intensity of my workouts, I don't think it would cause me to be this sleepy.

Has anyone else experienced this during a reset? And if so, how long did it last? I want the amazing "wow I feel strong and energized" part to come back Confused

Thanks!
Carrie

I am experiencing the same thing.. I am a little farther out in my reset but this week i have NOT been hungry at all, finding it very hard to make my tdee! And i am so sluggish. It has to be linked somehow?

Angela
06-28-2012, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2012 04:22 PM by Kiki.)
This was from a post over on the MFP group, that one of the members (I think it was JadeRabbit?) posted, that discussed the "stages" of upping cals. For the most part, I've found this to be accurate in my own research as well:

Quote:While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
2. Up calories feel overfull
3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Hypermetabolic? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828026_meanin...z1vV6JGmVJ

Kiki (aka rambling )
EM2WL.com
My MFP Diary

Looking for me? Follow the chocolate trail cool ....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-28-2012, 09:16 PM
I've not hit over-tired yet but I'm really struggling to get my calories up there without overloading on fat and carbs. I know that when next I shop I'll be getting plain greek yogurt (have to finish up what I've already bought). But its a struggle. I find myself reaching for junk, not because I want it particularly but because I want my calories up.
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
It takes a bit of time to adjust to the higher calories. I had to jump from 1400 to 2400 when I started and that extra 1000 cals almost killed me to get in without eating a ton of total crap. But it gets easier..
Greek yogurt, full fat foods, real cheese, nuts, oils.. all the good stuff will help fill in the cals and not feel like a lot of food.

Kelly
Team EM2WL
Never Give Up.
06-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Day 33, well technically 34 though I haven't started logging Saturday's food yet (I work nights and will have breakfast around 4 am if I get hungry enough . . . plus the MFP site is down for maitenance), of my 8 week reset. I had some bloating at first, but never really felt over full. I only had one day that I wasn't able to meet TDEE. Now I just feel fat. Suddenly my clothes are really tight, even my HRM chest strap is uncomfortable. I don't feel bloated or full, just huge. LOL, is it all in my head? My weight hasn't changed much. I had TOM a week or so ago, so that can't be the problem. Just wondering if any other resetters had this issue at some point?
07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
(06-28-2012 04:21 PM)Kiki Wrote:  This was from a post over on the MFP group, that one of the members (I think it was JadeRabbit?) posted, that discussed the "stages" of upping cals. For the most part, I've found this to be accurate in my own research as well:

Quote:While avoiding my lastest uni assignment I was researching the nature of hypermetabolic response (increased metabolism) due to increased calorie intake after a period of calorie restriction. Its most relevant to ED people but thinking back on when I upped my calories to above my BMR I had a response that seems to be repeated by a few others in the eat more group.

1. 1200 and not hungry dont want to eat more,
2. Up calories feel overfull
3. After two days of eating more I am ravenous and want even more food.
4. Feel energised and "active" continue to eat at new calorie level
5. Energy disappears for three weeks and I am exhausted.
6. Energy starts to return and I stabilize.

So how many went through step 5? I've been wondering if the metabolic response "overshoots" and for a short period of time even with the raised amount of calories you can still be undereating as the calculators out there dont take into account the metabolic response that occurs when you first start eating properly after restricting calories for a time.

This is an extract describing the hypermetabolic state experienced by recovering ED people. -

When recovering from a state of prolonged starvation, an individual suffering from anorexia will enter a hypermetabolic state. During the period of starvation, the body will enter a lowered metabolic state. When the patient begins eating a normal diet once again, the body's metabolism shoots up dramatically before stabilizing.

Read more: What Is the Meaning of Hypermetabolic? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_6828026_meanin...z1vV6JGmVJ

Thank you! I knew I had read something about the stages on the MFP site but couldn't find it over there.

I am now entering into my 5th week and still am feeling TIRED! I took a nap both Saturday & Sunday which is so unlike me...and today I am already ready for a nap. But glad it's somewhat normal happy.

So after a month - I am up about 5 pounds, inches are mixed (some up and some down) but my BF% is down a smigden.

For the next 4 weeks, I am going to concentrate on righting my macros....I am used to eating the calories & loving it but need to up my protein. Any tips on snacks?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't -- you're right"

---Henry Ford

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Metabolism reset and regret, ugh nsrn1616 15 14,388 08-01-2015 11:09 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  Week 11 Metabolism Reset, where should I go from here? MaryGold 4 6,727 04-08-2015 03:43 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  2013 Metabolism Reset Group amazegirl 9 14,530 04-18-2013 10:04 PM
Last Post: amazegirl