Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Hoping this is the best decision I have ever made.....
10-11-2017, 11:03 AM
RE: Hoping this is the best decision I have ever made.....
Well, it seems the addition of t3 isn't helping me Sad but the trial has been extended till I have a blood test in mid nov due to a reduction of t4 meds. My GP thinks i'm depressed, I don't think depression is the root cause, though depression is a symptom of hypothyroidism so how the heck they'll figure what is causing what I don't know!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Ugh, I sorry to hear that, West! Depression may not be a root cause but it has to be addressed. I can see how it goes together with hypothyroidism and get you on a cycle that feels endless. Please don't downplay the depression.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
10-12-2017, 04:47 AM
I'm not dismissing it. After some thought I have agreed to the counselling that my GP offered only to rule it out/ in. All other blood tests have come back normal, so quickly running out of causes. I still think thyroid is the issue and recently learnt that depression can suppress a TSH, mine just doesn't seem to budge from 0.02 no matter how many reductions in thyroid meds. Yet symptoms increase, I have no idea how depression can cause dry skin, cold feet and hands particularly after eating a meal, pins and needles and many more. I doubt i'd go for my morning walk, go the hairdressers, or planning to meet up friends from uni after graduation if I was depressed? (I'm not going to graduation, not my cup of tea)
10-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Depression can manifest in so many ways. I'm not an expert in the area, all I know is from personal/family experiences. The fact that you get up and do things and take care of yourself is a great thing and definitely helps your overall mood. The thing is that there are different intensities and the symptoms change over the course of our lives. I am glad that you are open to counseling. It definitely is interesting why your numbers are not going up with intervention.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
10-16-2017, 06:42 PM
I have been reading your updates and feel frustrated for you. I found it really interesting when you said that you have learnt that depression can suppress TSH. But it is hard to know if that is your particular cause and depression can manifest in so many different ways and levels. I have lack of motivation at times and am not sure if it is depression or low thyroid causing it or a symptom of something else. I have recently read that being dehydrated may also cause depression, fatigue, hunger, lowered metabolism and other symptoms which doesn't always necessarily mean just to drink more water but sometimes more salt with water (and I think water, glucose and salt together helps rehydrate the best). So much information out there which is great but sometimes makes it really hard to pinpoint the cause of our symptoms.

I hope you find your answers soon :-)
10-17-2017, 08:07 AM
I feel t3 has brought some benefits but not enough it seems for the endo, who seems all to occupied with my blasted TSH. He seems to be a black and white thinking person, and for this trial of t3 to be successful I get the impression he wants me to say: "I'm going to start training for a marathon, I feel that good! So the sooner this trial is over the better and I can go my own way, and that is to try increasing t3 to 18.75mcg and reduce t4 down to 100mcg. Its all about tinkering and finding what works for you, but he just doesn't seem interested in that. If that fails, then NDT.

You know what they did before this test was invented? Treated by symptoms alone, as a consequence the dose of thyroxine was 3 x much as it is now. Dr Derry surmises that patients on doses used before labs came into existence “felt better, energetic and motivated, so they remained more active during all of their lives.” And this fact would be another factor in stopping Osteoporosis!

I believe that my HPT axis is under performing, now this may be down to the anorexia, but research says that it returns to normal once weight gain is established, however it does say: "Few studies have examined these endocrine and metabolic parameters after long-term recovery from AN" So who knows, there could also be an issue with thyroid resistance or it could be just tinkering with doses to find what works for me and it's easier to do that without a GP/ endo who are so blinkered in their thinking.

FionaSchipke Funny how you mentioned salt as I have been reading it can be highly beneficial, not the sea salt stuff which has a lot of plastic in it, pink Himalayan and salt like that. I'm also going to experiment with magnesium, Feel like I'm treating myself as a guinea pig, but I just want to feel better.