Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Hoping this is the best decision I have ever made.....
02-24-2018, 09:56 AM
RE: Hoping this is the best decision I have ever made.....
Girl, this is amazing! Complete beast mode!applause

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2018, 06:43 AM
Yay! New deadlift pb.

4x4 @110kg

Last wed did 4x4@105kg which equalled my previous best. Thought what the heck, i'll have two clear rest days i'll bump it up by 5kg instead of my normal 2.5kg and see what happens...

I only do 8 working sets 3 x per week at the moment and have a rest week every 4 weeks. Doesn't sound much compared to what I use to do but just glad to be back at it the last few months.
02-26-2018, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2018 09:08 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
I need to say that you are on fire! Total beast mode! I love reading your updates and how you are not letting anything stop you and just moving forward and crushing every goal, even if your thyroid isn’t cooperating! You are unstoppable!

Team EM2WL
03-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Seem to be stuck on 13 chin ups but not too bothered, next week should have been aiming for 15 to complete my mini challenge in time. The important thing is I can do more than I ever could before so it is a win.

Got a hospital appointment next week at the maxillofacial department. Got a lump on my gum at the end of Nov, doesn't hurt, but its quite big. Had 2 different types of x rays and then it was lanced but it came straight back again. So no idea what they are going to do.....
03-24-2018, 09:32 AM
15 or not, you are doing amazing with your chin-ups!

Hopefully the lump isn’t anything, but I’m glad they are taking it seriously and you got your appointments scheduled! Keep us updated on what is going on!

Team EM2WL
03-27-2018, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2018 01:21 PM by West.)
Meant to post this the other day. Lyle McDonald interviews in which he talks about why its different (harder) for women to lose weight compared to men. Everything from too much cardio and slashing calories to the effects of the menstrual cycle. Part two goes on to talk about training differences.

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccpOg1-4i4

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzh42dXESA
03-28-2018, 08:11 AM
There ARE differences for sure! This reminds me of Kiki’s webinar and blog on why it is harder for women to lose fat.
http://eatmore2weighless.com/fat-loss-struggles/

http://eatmore2weighless.com/fat-loss-struggles-2/

Team EM2WL
04-10-2018, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 12:22 PM by West.)
What I like about the Lyle podcasts is the detail that he goes into and highlights simply the huge variability there is from women to women. I know most can't be doing with detail and like a brief synopsis and try not to get too hung up on the finer detail but if you are like me, then it is worth a listen. One comment that stood out for me was regarding a woman he coached, in the fourth week of her menstrual cycle she couldn't lift more than 60% of her best on machines and her co ordination was off. On the morning session, she was exactly like that, at lunch her period began, at the second session of the day she was lifting PB's!

What it made me do was look more closely at my cycle, my training, my food etc and spot patterns. (Something we should all really do from the get go, but for me, I noticed stuff but never really pinned it altogether) What i've noticed is that for the most part i'm pretty consistent across the month, I don't tend to get huge spikes in water weight, but do feel weaker in the 4th week. So a weight that I know I can lift will definitely feel heavier in that 4th week but I feel stronger in the first half of the cycle. Also appetite it also pretty steady but in that fourth week I feel a little bit hungrier than usual.

Need to have a tooth removed....... The lump I have is an infection which starts at the base of the tooth. I had root canal work done on this tooth around 2004 and took ages to settle down after the work. The options were: leave it; re do the root canal; or remove the tooth. I was all for leaving it as it doesn't cause me any pain but the infection is very close to nerve and he reckons it won't be long before my lips etc start to go numb. Re doing it wasn't an option for me due to the length of time it took to settle down last time and the success rate I think tends to be poor when it come to root canal. So removal it is.
04-10-2018, 04:48 PM
(04-10-2018 12:21 PM)West Wrote:  What I like about the Lyle podcasts is the detail that he goes into and highlights simply the huge variability there is from women to women. I know most can't be doing with detail and like a brief synopsis and try not to get too hung up on the finer detail but if you are like me, then it is worth a listen. One comment that stood out for me was regarding a woman he coached, in the fourth week of her menstrual cycle she couldn't lift more than 60% of her best on machines and her co ordination was off. On the morning session, she was exactly like that, at lunch her period began, at the second session of the day she was lifting PB's!

What it made me do was look more closely at my cycle, my training, my food etc and spot patterns. (Something we should all really do from the get go, but for me, I noticed stuff but never really pinned it altogether) What i've noticed is that for the most part i'm pretty consistent across the month, I don't tend to get huge spikes in water weight, but do feel weaker in the 4th week. So a weight that I know I can lift will definitely feel heavier in that 4th week but I feel stronger in the first half of the cycle. Also appetite it also pretty steady but in that fourth week I feel a little bit hungrier than usual.

Need to have a tooth removed....... The lump I have is an infection which starts at the base of the tooth. I had root canal work done on this tooth around 2004 and took ages to settle down after the work. The options were: leave it; re do the root canal; or remove the tooth. I was all for leaving it as it doesn't cause me any pain but the infection is very close to nerve and he reckons it won't be long before my lips etc start to go numb. Re doing it wasn't an option for me due to the length of time it took to settle down last time and the success rate I think tends to be poor when it come to root canal. So removal it is.

That is really interesting stuff West. I have always noticed that I usually run slower during the 4th week and go a bit slower with my weights session though I never put it down to being weaker. But that is probably what is happening. My appetite also increases during the 4th week - almost like "too much is not enough"!

I remember reading an article in a Running magazine which said that women at all stages of their cycle had won races - it never said if any cycle stages were more prevalent than others though.

I had the almost the same thing with a tooth and ended up having it out also and good thing I did as the infection had gone down into the jawbone so a bit of the jawbone needed to be removed also. So even if they had done a root canal the infection would still have been there.

Have you had any more breakthroughs with your thyroid?

In the last year my thyroid T3 is increasing and closer to mid-range now so I am really happy about that.

Good to hear from you :-)
04-11-2018, 04:59 AM
(04-10-2018 04:48 PM)FionaSchipke Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 12:21 PM)West Wrote:  What I like about the Lyle podcasts is the detail that he goes into and highlights simply the huge variability there is from women to women. I know most can't be doing with detail and like a brief synopsis and try not to get too hung up on the finer detail but if you are like me, then it is worth a listen. One comment that stood out for me was regarding a woman he coached, in the fourth week of her menstrual cycle she couldn't lift more than 60% of her best on machines and her co ordination was off. On the morning session, she was exactly like that, at lunch her period began, at the second session of the day she was lifting PB's!

That is really interesting stuff West. I have always noticed that I usually run slower during the 4th week and go a bit slower with my weights session though I never put it down to being weaker. But that is probably what is happening. My appetite also increases during the 4th week - almost like "too much is not enough"!

I remember reading an article in a Running magazine which said that women at all stages of their cycle had won races - it never said if any cycle stages were more prevalent than others though.

I had the almost the same thing with a tooth and ended up having it out also and good thing I did as the infection had gone down into the jawbone so a bit of the jawbone needed to be removed also. So even if they had done a root canal the infection would still have been there.

Have you had any more breakthroughs with your thyroid?

In the last year my thyroid T3 is increasing and closer to mid-range now so I am really happy about that.

Good to hear from you :-)

Yeah, I find it really interesting too.

In one podcast I listened too with Lyle he states that world records have been set by women right across the monthly cycle, so there is no bias. Just goes to show how variable we are!

Eostrogen dominance in the first half of the cycle is beneficial for adding muscle and we are stronger, appetite is more controlled as blood glucose is stable. We are also more insulin sensitive so maybe beneficial to have a few more carbs and drop the fat slightly.

In the second half Progesterone is more dominant and hinders muscle growth, blood glucose is more unstable hence the cravings, hunger, but we also get an increase in metabolism. We also become more insulin resistant so increase fat and drop carbs. Someone reported in his Facebook group that by changing the macros across the month ( higher carb first half, higher fat second half) she didn't get her 4lbs of bloat/ water weight in the 4th week of her cycle!

I'm interested in matching workouts to the cycle, so doing an experiment with really heavy first week and adjusting to a de-load, higher reps in that 4th week. It helps if you have a regular cycle though!

He makes the point that a man walk into the gym and he is pretty much the same from day to day to day. A woman walks into the gym and you get a different person week to week to week and in some cases day to day because of the menstrual cycle.

Re thyroid, no further forward really. I did email my Endo with the results of the gene test. Now, he categorically stated in a letter to my GP after the trial of T3 that the symptoms I had were not related to hypothyroidism or its management and other avenues should be looked at. I'd say that was quite final statement to make and rather bold. When confronted with the gene test results he said I was "unfair" in my email to him as he didn't know my homozygous status and that there was possibility that I wasn't given enough T3! Surely, you test out that possibility before making the statement above! He said he would write to myself and my GP about its significance, did he bother? No, he hasn't. So really p****d of with the whole thing, they don't have a bloody clue and I don't have the energy or will to keep chasing. As far as i'm concerned they have had their chance to help me and failed. So when my current t3 is used up and it's hopefully warmer i'm making the switch to NDT. I will tell my GP what i'm doing and that she won't have any say in my management of hypothyroidism ever! It's not a decision I have taken lightly and have kept delaying it as I like to do things by the book but when they keep falling you......

Good to hear from you too!

Does anyone know if Tip (Tipularia) is hanging out on the Facebook group? I miss her updates Sad