Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Today's progress was yesterday's plan...
07-22-2015, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2015 06:48 PM by AnitraSoto.)
Today's progress was yesterday's plan...
Hi folks!

I decided to begin a journal to help track my progress and to also, hopefully, be of benefit to others. I know that I fed off the success stories of others as I got my head on straight about doing a metabolic reset. But I also know that I was frustrated not to see a story about someone beginning this process as heavy as I am (300+ lbs). We all want to see the example of someone with a similar weight, lifestyle, etc. as we have. So, for all the big girls out there, here goes......

Some background.

I got serious about weight loss in April 2014. I was shocked to realize I had ballooned to 350 lbs and that shock finally woke me up. I had ignored my health and personal life for years as I focused on work, work, work and so I decided that it was time to focus on myself. Soooo, I lost a total of 45 lbs from April to August. It was easy! I at too few calories and the weight just melted off. Now, of course I know that a lot of that weight was probably muscle, but MAN! it was awesome.

September 2014 I hit the dreaded plateau. The weight loss slowed to a crawl, then pretty much stopped. So, I dropped my calories again...and again....and added more exercise. By early December I was eating around 1,200 - 1,300 calories a day. My hair was thinning and I was exhibiting all sorts of random symptoms that I thought were thyroid related. A trip to the doctor revealed that, other than being seriously overweight, I was perfectly healthy. She also couldn't tell me why I wasn't losing weight and really didn't seem to believe my claims of 1,200 calories.

Frantic, I met with the nutritionist at the practice who said, vaguely, maybe you aren't eating enough calories. That was it, but it was enough to send me on a research quest that lead to EM2WL, strength training, etc.

I began strength training in January and slowly upping my calories. Then started NROLFW in March. I saw inches come off, but the scale weight stayed the same. Finally, I contacted Anitra who gave me some tough love and said it's time for a full reset. After much moaning and teeth gnashing, I gave in and began my reset on March 30th, 2015.

I spent six weeks eating an average of 2,800/day. It was hard at first and then so wonderful when I got used to it. Oh, the full fat Greek yogurt!!!! As you'll see by the graph I'm posting, my weight fluctuated during the reset but always returned to my set-point weight of 309.

I began cutting calories May 11, 2015. Again, my weight fluctuated, but stayed about the same for weeks. Finally, it began a slow crawl down a few weeks ago. So slowly that I added a trend line to my weight graph just to make sure it was really moving. I weigh daily and track my weight, calories, and body measurements, graphing the progress (I love data!).

As you'll see by the graph, I'm currently eating an average of 2282 calories a day, hitting my 40/30/30 macros, and finally losing weight. It isn't that fast, but it's tangible. I'm hopeful to see a little faster movement in the future as I modify my exercise routine. Currently, I lift heavy weights M-W-F and walk on my day's off with some HIIT thrown in every now and then. That's the part that I want to increase because I want to move things along a bit faster.

I admit to struggling with slow weight loss and letting it get in my head a bit too much. I'm working on that and trying to stay focused. I figure that I can't be the one special snowflake that hard gym work and proper nutrition don't work on. As such, I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone and waiting for the change to become visible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2015, 01:50 PM
RE: Today's progress was yesterday's plan...
Fabulous to see you here! It's so nice to hear your story. You're doing great. Don't rush your progress. We all want it to be off fast but you've worked so hard, focus on that!

I'm new here, but it looks like you're doing everything that has been recommended.

I love that you're a data geek too! I love keeping my numbers!

Looking forward to getting to know you!
07-22-2015, 02:02 PM
Kati,

Actually, we're already friends on MFP! LOL! I use the same name on there.

Thanks for the good words!
07-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Your graph looks like you're making amazing progress!! Congrats happy I'm also in the midst of tracking my TDEE and doing then doing a rest. You found that 6 weeks was enough?
07-22-2015, 03:22 PM
awe... very cool that you decided on creating a journal! I will be reading! thanx!
07-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Welcome!! I can't wait to read about your progress!!
07-22-2015, 03:35 PM
(07-22-2015 03:06 PM)Mara1 Wrote:  Your graph looks like you're making amazing progress!! Congrats happy I'm also in the midst of tracking my TDEE and doing then doing a rest. You found that 6 weeks was enough?

Mara1,

Well, I think the amount of time necessary depends on the person. I was comparing my mental and physical reactions to the ones that EM2WL lists.

- Weight stabilizes (mine did, actually it always came back to 309 quickly after DOMS went away, etc. I let it stabilize for a week to make sure.)

- You don't want to cut calories - I went from "please let me stop eating this much" to "ummmm... I don't want to stop eating this much" a definite mind shift.

There are others, but I really just "felt" like I was ready. Did I reach my exact maximum TDEE? I don't know, but I was probably close. I maybe could have gone higher, but I felt comfortable with it.

So, I'd read the EM2WL literature and listen to your mind and body. You'll know.
07-22-2015, 03:40 PM
It is nice to hear that you didn't have to get exact about it. I remember reading another gal's journal and she HAD to get exact with her measuring and macros because everything else was right. Once she hit her proper protein macro, everything changed and the weight started coming off. I was like "OMGEEEE, do I REALLY have to be that calculating about it?" that kind of mind set scares me because it all seems so tedious that I would give up!

Not that that will be MY scenario... I am hoping it is more like yours =)
07-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Oh! And if you're interested in how my daily calories looked before/during/after reset, here's another graph.

What you'll see is that during the reset I focused on average weekly calories, so some days were up and some were a little down.

I'm also including a TDEE day about once every two weeks while I'm cutting calories. I'm hoping it will help me keep my metabolism up. If not, I'm prepared to do a diet rest week later in August.

07-22-2015, 03:46 PM
(07-22-2015 03:40 PM)aperfect8 Wrote:  It is nice to hear that you didn't have to get exact about it. I remember reading another gal's journal and she HAD to get exact with her measuring and macros because everything else was right. Once she hit her proper protein macro, everything changed and the weight started coming off. I was like "OMGEEEE, do I REALLY have to be that calculating about it?" that kind of mind set scares me because it all seems so tedious that I would give up!

Not that that will be MY scenario... I am hoping it is more like yours =)

I wasn't that exact with my daily calories, however I was and am that exact with macros. I get at least 30% protein most days and more others. However, it's not perfect. Every now and then I'm down to 26%, but I don't sweat that. I figure if I'm good at least 90% of the time it's all good.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Tongue Tales of "Sausage Girl "- aka Kiki's Bulking/STS progress Kiki 155 110,773 08-15-2015 08:18 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  My new game plan :) momofmyfivekids 100 64,448 03-17-2013 03:52 PM
Last Post: woodsygirl