Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My story: an ex-Weight Watcher with Hashimoto's disease
09-10-2016, 11:35 AM
RE: My story: an ex-Weight Watcher with Hashimoto's disease
http://www.straightforwardfatloss.com/start-here/

This link seems to lay out the philosophy, which appears reasonable in that it suggests his philosophy are lifestyle changes and not diets, but I didn't download the free ebook. An uber quick look at his blog seems to suggest he is pretty reasonable too - leighe peele book reviews, don't eat out of boredom, how to accurately measure using a food scale, why scale weight isnt the end all be all, why supplements are tempting... these are all what came up on the first 2 pages. Let us know how it goes Tilly. I did notice that he does appear to be a proponent of counting calories though? If it stresses you out, and I agree, it can be stressing, I would intuitively eat like you say but be conscious of your satiety levels, cut out (most) of the liquid calories, and fill up on veggies/good protein the best you can.

Word of caution: I like the idea of eating intuitively but to me, this and "everything in moderation" TOGETHER could backfire in a cut. When I hear everything in moderation, I know that means I can have a cookie or 2 if I feel like it, and I should be able to. (and I do!) But without counting calories, that cookie or 2 could easily wipe out a deficit for me. Am I saying you can never have a cookie? Absolutely not. But what I am saying is that while not counting calories eliminates the obvious stress of not counting calories, to me, that means eating intuitively does have to err on the side of being pretty clean for cutting. Its like you have to deal with one or the other, lol. Anyway, that is just my perspective, others may disagree.

I'm so happy your husband found a job so quickly!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Here's my update today I've been thinking about EM2WL a lot lately. This is an amazing community here on the forums and I'm so glad I have a place to post that feels supportive and understanding.

So it's been about a year now since I've posted, and I've lost a total of 10 more pounds to total 25 pound loss. But since March, my body has been fluctuating between the same 3-5 pounds. That's a lot of months to wait for more weight to drop off, and I've been more then patient.

I really hate calorie counting and LOVE eating intuitively. Sadly, at a certain point wondered if I was truly eating at a deficit. I think I was doing great maintaining and it's nice to know I have that tool whenever I want to use it. While reading the blog above again, I thought hrmm. Maybe I should go back to calorie counting for a little bit and see if I truly am eating right. Turns out I eat a lot LESS some days and then a lot MORE other days, and not sure that's a good balance and might explain the stall in weight loss. I even tried to eat at TDEE for a week or two but not sure that "rest" helped because I was just maintaining my weight, not really in a deficit. I am also doing measurements and I've lost a few inches here and there and went down a size, but I was hoping to drop TWICE as much weight by now. It's been a year!

I'm very used to sticking to a plan being a past weight watcher, but something stopped working with trying to eat intuitively and I feel like this is really for people who need to learn to eat by listening to their bodies and to maintain the weight once you get to "goal". Being at my current weight is a huge bummer during the summer months. I physically cannot keep up with my kids. I can't run without pain, constant back aches and heartburn/upset stomach almost all the time now. My HITT workouts aren't regular as I sometimes get so tired from them I can't do more then once a week. So that's been a bummer to realize as well.

I started counting again a month ago and it was eye opening. I calculated my TDEE like I did before and dropped the cals 20% for a "cut" and have only seen weight gain, but I am trying to be patient. I hate doing it, but need to do something. This last weekend, my husband was weighing himself and weighs 5 pounds more the I do! He's 6'4" and I'm 5'5" O_o This was also eye opening. How could I weigh as much as my husband? It was sad to experience and it put a fire under my butt and I've been doing more consistent HITT workout and yoga. I just need to tighten up the food and be patient. I hope I'll see results. I plan also to eat at TDEE every 6 weeks too.

The cals I'm eating are based on lightly active and at 2081 now, after being at 2017. I'm hoping for a 5 pound loss but I might stop using the scale and go get some calipers. Would anyone know the rate of body fat percentage loss that is reasonable? I don't want to google this because most of the time, everything I find include very unreasonable goals on anything related to fat loss.
08-24-2017, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2017 10:37 PM by Tereza Toledo.)
Tilly,

Good to see you back in the forum!
How are your thyroid levels? Have you adjusted to the meds?
I did go over your whole journey and noticed a few things. You do have a lot going on, for sure, and the added stress never helps, it makes things more difficult. Did you ever get a chance to join the Facebook community Anitra mentioned? Kiki has been doing some amazing "EM2WL Talks" over there, truly worth checking out! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1754102281470874/
It's time to leave the Diet Mentality behind and truly move forward.

You mentioned doing one or two weeks eating at TDEE and only maintaining, but TDEE is meant for you to maintain, not lose weight. How are your macros? You mentioned carb cycling, but have you tried to focus on protein instead? The change of focus may seem silly, but actually makes a big difference. I love the idea of not logging, but honestly, that may end up turning into a chill phase (I'm a big fan of chill phases), but you cannot expect fat loss during a chill phase. It can even happen if your stress levels decrease during the chill, but there's nothing on a chill phase that warrants fat loss.

You said that you chose lightly active in the calculator, even though you are doing HIIT and Yoga minus 20%. I can see you are eager to lose weight, but the focus should be on fat loss and with such a big deficit, you would be definitely undereating.

The best approach would be to focus one the one thing that would make the biggest difference for you right now (eating your calories - logging would be definitely helpful to ensure that you are eat what you need to eat) until it becomes second nature. Then, move to another (doing your workouts consistently - adding strength training would be more helpful than only HIIT). Then focus on hitting protein levels consistently, and so on.

Yes, you are correct about the need to be patient. Patience and consistency go hand in hand, not only here, but in any other area of your life. And as Anitra said don't do anything with the purpose of losing weight that you are not willing to do for life. Doing things temporarily, with the idea that they will make you lose weight, will only set you back in your journey.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
08-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Thank you for the advice, I think you are totally right on a few things and it's nice to have another set of eyeballs on my journal here.

Oh yes, I meant to join the FB group and then slowly stopped using Facebook, so I went on to join there now! I love Kiki's talks about her thyroid issues, as they are a total PITA to get control of and she has some great stuff to say about it. My thyroid levels are a constant struggle, and I know when I'm starting to feel off now. I just feel completely out of control as to how to manage these damn hormones! I do know at TDEE I wont be losing, so I try and focus on staying at a 20% less then TDEE, but to take breaks every 6 weeks or so. I guess that's a chill phase? I was trying to do this all intuitively, which is hard but not impossible, I know that's how I lost those 25 pounds! Yeah, I may still be under eating, you are totally right! Sadly, I don't think so, because the HITT workouts and yoga are not very consistent at all and when I do them, I eat a little extra on those days post-workout.

My macros are usually at 14-16% protein when it should be more like 30% so I know I need to focus there. My carbs stay pretty close to 35% but my fats are much higher at like 40-50% so I am not sure if I am calculating that wrong or what. I don't think that's an issue though, as it's conducive to fat loss eating higher fats, but I'm maybe eating more of the wrong kind. Haha I did just have Popeyes chicken last night (it was SO good) lol! If you want to take a look at my MFP diary I think it's open to the public under Tillymonstarr as the username. happy

My "natural" thyroid hormone med made me worse, so I went onto a different med, which is working great! But then the weight loss just stopped back in March, and so I started using MFP again in June to tighten things up. I only have gained weight since then, but it's just fluctuating the same 5 pounds or so. So that was so disappointing but I swear my brain goes into OCD-mode when I calorie count and I feel like it's never helpful but am going to try and stick with it!
08-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Tilly,

I'm glad to hear you joined the FB community! I'm not much of a social media person, but it does help to connect with people who are in the same journey.

The success rate when you implement one change at a time is 80%. It decreases to 20% when you try to change two things at a time. Baby steps is the way to go: http://eatmore2weighless.com/set-your-se...r-success/
So pick one thing. If you increase your protein, you will naturally decrease your fat (that's the outcrowding method). The fat proportion you are eating is not an issue, but changing your protein to 30%, will make a whole world of difference. Fats don't make you fat, as long as you have your protein in place.

Consistency is another factor. You don't need to aim for 100% or to try to be perfect, but you have to have the basics covered. Start by your protein, then check the calories, then water, fiber, exercise and so on.

A chill is a phase in which you just take a break from logging, you have random workouts, you take sometime to just rest and learn more about yourself, mentally and physically. But you need to have in mind that the only result that you can expect from a chill it to relax. You cannot expect any weight of fat loss at.all. You cannot be in two phases at the same time. You can have 6 weeks of cut and then take a chill week.

20% deficit is not the best. If you start at 20% and don't see results, you are stuck. You have no room to wiggle and will end up with a lower TDEE, period. It's fine to eat more when you workout more, but without a structure, you cannot expect results.

More than just sticking with anything, you need a deep look into yourself. What are your goals? What matters most? What are your expectations? What are you willing to commit? What are your rules? The diet mentality is definitely ingrained and holding you back.

Two great reads on the diet lies that we tell ourselves and that will hinder any progress (we spend quite some time talking about this issue and dissecting it in our workshops):
http://eatmore2weighless.com/lies-diet-plan/
http://eatmore2weighless.com/diet-lies-part-2/

Team EM2WL
08-30-2017, 09:24 AM
It can be conductive to fat loss to eat higher fats - but usually only if you are eating low carb, then you body burns the fats as fuel instead of the carbs. For regular (with moderate carbs) eating it is much more conducive to fat loss to eat more protein, for several reasons - 1) protein takes more energy to digest than fats and carbs. 2) higher protein helps ensure muscle maintenance 3) a good balance of protein and fat helps you feel full a lot longer and 4) protein helps balance out your blood sugar. So you might want to really think about taking a hard look at your macros - that may help. I also agree with Tereza about the 20% deficit, the most they really recommend is 15%. At 20% you are setting yourself up for the return to the diet mentality and a body that adapts to lower calories - and with such a low protein intake you are risking muscle loss along with the fat!

Ok that's all now I have to go read the link Tereza posted! big grin
09-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Go check it out, that Facebook group is amazing! I wonder if I up my cals to only a 15% deficit if these pounds will start dropping off again? To be honest, any weight I've lost has not been anything I felt like I was actively "doing" and it pisses me off, because how do you track that? I guess it's an "ebb and flow" process, which makes sense.

YEP it is totally that "diet mentality" sneaking it's way in! Thank you for pointing that out kcmsmith! Especially when you see moms looking amazing in their bikinis and saying "oh I eat really well!" or "oh breastfeeding helps so much!" and I just sit here going hrmm well I gained weight, and A LOT of it at 4mo post-partum for no reason, and I eat better then anyone else I know, and I extensively breastfed both my babies, what's my problem? O_o Comparing myself is stupid, I know, but guess what? It happens!

Getting enough protein is really tough guys! I can barely hit 100g in a day, so starting there is a good idea, huh?
09-12-2017, 02:13 PM
I am glad you joined the Facebook group and that you like it. It is an amazing group that will give you support in the most unexpected ways in this journey. As an EM2WL coach, a lot of times, when someone is on a plateau, the recommendation is to increase calories. Eating at a deficit bigger than 15% is never a good idea.

This is not a linear process, but when you slowly implement things, one at a time, you can definitely know what is working and what is not. Also when you start with a small deficit from TDEE, you have room to wiggle and cut a little more if it's not giving you the results you want. But when you start with a big deficit, there's to place to run.

Yes, getting all the protein consistently is not that easy. 100 g a good starting point. It is doable and it is one of the things that will make the biggest difference for you (aside from having a smaller deficit).

Breastfeeding does burn extra calories, but if your thyroid is having issues or if you end up eating more calories than what breastfeeding needs (300 to 500 extra a day), things can be different. it's a hit or miss in the weight loss area. I did breastfeed exclusively and extensively both kids and I cannot say that it helped me lose weight. I saved up and bunch of money, that's for sure, laughing

Team EM2WL
09-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Tilly, make sure to join the free Crush the Diet Bootcamp that we will have next week. Check the FB community for the info on it. You will love it!

Team EM2WL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Using my body weight to change my body weight Terrigrace 13 9,514 06-13-2013 07:17 PM
Last Post: CrystalFueled