Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trouble getting in the calories!
08-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Trouble getting in the calories!
I am looking for tips and tricks for getting my calories in. I just finished a 4 month reset and I will confess - I used junk food to hit my daily calorie goal. I hated it, I felt tired and sick most days, but I am the total opposite of an overeater. That's how I got myself into this mess to begin with - I didn't intentionally restrict calories, I just ate intuitively. Before the reset, I ate clean and until I was full. It doesn't take much to make me full - usually 1400 cals, which is not good when my TDEE is 2500-2700!
I simply can't eat anymore after that - my body just says no way. So I started the reset in May, going off clean eating to make sure I got my calories up and continued to work out as usual. I am starting my cut today (2000 cals) and going back to clean eating. But logging in my meals for the day, I'm struggling to get the calories in without heaping plates of food I can't shove down. Besides smoothies, avocados and almonds, what are some healthy calorie-dense foods that won't fill me up?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2015, 10:24 AM
RE: Trouble getting in the calories!
nuts, nut butters, oil
08-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Full fat everything - cheese, meats, etc. Don't hold back on eating things that are enjoyable. The only true 'clean eating' is washing your vegetables...;-) There's a place for everything. (I'm being a bit sarcastic, but honestly, 'clean' means too many different things and for some people it's a way to cut things that are perfectly fine out of their diets) Stews, chili, curries, etc can all be made with full fat items and still be very healthy while full of good calories.
03-28-2017, 10:36 PM
What great advice. I too have been having trouble getting calories in and felt like was forcing myself to eat too much just to reach my goal. But now that I think about it, it's all low cal food - 0% yogurt, low fat peanut butter, Etc. I'm going to try the full cal foods.
03-29-2017, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 08:31 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
Yes, unless you like the taste of the low fat versions, stick with full fat. Full fat cheese, yogurt, milk and even ice cream. Whole eggs instead of only egg whites. Avocado or nuts can be added to your salad. Salmon instead of only tilapia, dark meat instead of only chicken breast are also great ways to add calories when it's hard to reach the total in the beginning. Fat will not make you "fat", it does have a place in our diets and it will keep you feeling more satisfied. Plus the flavor boost is always something to look for wink

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
03-29-2017, 10:08 AM
As others advise, go full fat, real foods. I started eating full fat yogurt, skyr, kefir, cheese, nuts, nut butters, LOTS of guacamole (I use it in place of mayo and butter in lots of things) about a year ago. I have MUCH more energy, my skin and nails are better, my hair isn't falling out and isn't going gray as quickly (!!), and I'm more satisfied with my food. We've really been sold a bill of goods with the constant no/low fat stuff.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How much should I up my calories? skbarton 19 4,172 04-04-2017 08:27 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Upping those calories.... WL44 55 12,753 10-14-2016 02:33 PM
Last Post: WL44
  Adjusting calories Giedre 12 4,735 11-16-2015 09:43 AM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  I have too many calories to eat at night! MaryGold 3 2,473 04-15-2015 03:54 AM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  balancing calories gardengrrrl 7 4,240 03-04-2015 10:26 PM
Last Post: gardengrrrl
  Should my calories vary day by day? jenndaww 4 3,524 09-27-2013 03:47 PM
Last Post: decblessings
  does anyone here eat 1500 calories sweet_gurl_next_door 6 7,006 03-20-2013 02:52 PM
Last Post: CrystalFueled