Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Please Help!!
07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Please Help!!
I joined the group a couple months ago and now my Mom, sister, and a friend's teenage daughter look to me for help. Will you tell me if I am doing this right? Blush

Here is my info:
BMR: 1257
TDEE: 1948
-15%: 1656

Okay, if I exercise and burn let's say 500 calories do I make sure to eat back up to the 1257? And do you use the MFP to log all the food and exercise and the net on the home page should be at least the 1257?

Thank you for the constant support. I don't want to be telling these others the wrong thing.

Brandy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
RE: Please Help!!
Hello!

You are doing it correctly.

If your cut target is 1656, and you burn 500 calories, you would want to eat back enough to NET your BMR.

If you are consistently netting below your BMR after your exercise, you may want to consider bumping up to the next activity level or dropping to a 10% cut target.

The closer you get to your goal, the less your cut will be.

Thanks,

Mike

"Just a fat guy on a quest to be in shape again, and bring the magic of free gun shows to all! "

What is TDEE and what you should know?
http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show....php?tid=2

Upping you calories? Know what to expect?
http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show....php?tid=1
07-20-2012, 11:14 AM
You got it down pat Brandy! That's exactly right.

Now, if you have been eating low cal for a while, and find yourself at a plateau after eating your cut for a while, go up in calories not down ok.

Please have your mom, sis, and friend Like us on FB and join the forum too. Support is key!

Lucia

Eating more, lifting heavy and loving life!
big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
LOL...Mike and I were answering at the same exact time. Oh yeah forgot that part...yup yup...if you keep going below BMR...what Mike said!

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
07-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Thank you so much guys!!! You rock! happy

I did up my exercise level and I am going to stop putting in the calories exercising on MFP as I find that will be easier to keep up with. lol
07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Ahhh, then you have to up your activity level then. I know it is odd, but I still put in my exercise numbers and just focus on the home page, net calories. I watch that like a hawk. Then again I am never even close to BMR with my workouts since my cut is so small right now.

Wish ya the best!

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
I am sorry. I meant upped my activity level!! oops. happy
07-20-2012, 11:35 AM
LOL...cool!

Lucia

big grin

MFP
EM2WL.com
Facebook
Twitter tongue
07-26-2012, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2012 05:22 PM by ellie_may.)
I am VERY confused. All of this "eating more" stuff makes a lot of sense to me, and I want to try it. For 2-3 years I have been a bad dieter. I had a lot of success a couple of years ago at losing weight in a relatively healthy way, I was watching what I ate - but not being ridiculous and obsessive, and I was jogging and walking regularly. I got myself down to my lowest adult weight ever, and kept it off for most of a year. Then life threw lemons...and I made lemonade - with lotf of sugar. I gained about 30 pounds...I want it to go away again, this time forever...enter crazy diets, atkins, south beach, low carb, no carb, no fat, whatever. I tried it.

I think this makes sense. I just don't know where to begin. I started eating more last week - I run about 25 miles a week (marathon training) and found my TDEE at around 3200, BMR is 1712. I tried to bump my calories to TDEE, but wow...that's more food (good quality) than I even have time to eat. I can usually hit 2800-3000 with good macro break-down no problem. I have a fitness model friend who is going to be working with me to build a heavy-lifting routine in the next week or so.

Tell me,
What do I do now?
Am I on the right track?
Should I be trying my best to eat TDEE, or is the lower amount OK? The lower amount is TDEE at my activity level at my goal weight - by coincidence only, its about a 15% decrease.
I have gained about 4 pounds in 7 days, is this OK? I am not so much worried about this weight, as I am sure it is just water, but want to make sure its normal.
When do I know I am "reset"?
What do I do once I have "reset", if I want to lose all this (and the new) weight?

Everything I look at elsewhere points to an e-book that no lionger exists - Leigh Peele's Metabolic Repair Manual. Is there someone who can outline the steps to the plan every one is talking about here?

I really appreciate your time....thanks :-) Em
07-27-2012, 03:51 AM
(07-26-2012 05:18 PM)ellie_may Wrote:  I am VERY confused. All of this "eating more" stuff makes a lot of sense to me, and I want to try it. For 2-3 years I have been a bad dieter. I had a lot of success a couple of years ago at losing weight in a relatively healthy way, I was watching what I ate - but not being ridiculous and obsessive, and I was jogging and walking regularly. I got myself down to my lowest adult weight ever, and kept it off for most of a year. Then life threw lemons...and I made lemonade - with lotf of sugar. I gained about 30 pounds...I want it to go away again, this time forever...enter crazy diets, atkins, south beach, low carb, no carb, no fat, whatever. I tried it.

I think this makes sense. I just don't know where to begin. I started eating more last week - I run about 25 miles a week (marathon training) and found my TDEE at around 3200, BMR is 1712. I tried to bump my calories to TDEE, but wow...that's more food (good quality) than I even have time to eat. I can usually hit 2800-3000 with good macro break-down no problem. I have a fitness model friend who is going to be working with me to build a heavy-lifting routine in the next week or so.

Tell me,
What do I do now?
Am I on the right track?
Should I be trying my best to eat TDEE, or is the lower amount OK? The lower amount is TDEE at my activity level at my goal weight - by coincidence only, its about a 15% decrease.
I have gained about 4 pounds in 7 days, is this OK? I am not so much worried about this weight, as I am sure it is just water, but want to make sure its normal.
When do I know I am "reset"?
What do I do once I have "reset", if I want to lose all this (and the new) weight?

Everything I look at elsewhere points to an e-book that no lionger exists - Leigh Peele's Metabolic Repair Manual. Is there someone who can outline the steps to the plan every one is talking about here?

I really appreciate your time....thanks :-) Em
Hi and Welcome-yes you are on the right track.
Your TDEE is high, but you are training for a Marathon, so I guess you will have to eat it in order to hit your TDEE. I am assuming you are aiming for doing a reset?
The weight gain is perfectly normal, and is most likely water.
You will know, that your body has reset, when you stop gaining weight, it will be easy to get all your cals in without feeling stuffed and bloated. Then you know you are ready to cut. The reset should be done for 8 weeks, in order to give your body time to adjust to its TDEE. After that you will cut 10-15% from your TDEE. You will do that for 4-6 weeks, then take a diet break for 1-2 weeks at TDEE, so your body knows that food supply is not short. If you don't do diet breaks after a while your body will tale your cut value as a new TDEE and you will stop losing.

I hope I didn't completely confuse you now.
Let us know, if you have any more questions