Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jc/saranharm's em2wl journal
10-28-2016, 12:21 AM
RE: Jc/saranharm's em2wl journal
Hey JC, it's been a while over here in the journals...saw a couple of your posts over on the Facebook site and was wondering how you've been doing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Thanks Hannah.

I'm trying your advice of going back to what was working for me. I feel like I had a good week of workouts- sore every day!!!! And a good first half of eating. Getting in protein and fiber with less calories.

Unfortunately, the end of this past week was so stressful for me (a couple of meal fails, a major allergic reaction, just some mom/homemaker stress) that I did not make good choices. I've also realized that I am an emotional eater. I think I knew that deep down but tried to lie to myself. It was very apparent this weekend. I probably consumed 2x my tdee on Saturday.

Plus, feeling a little pressure. We're considering joining a health sharing program. They have a discount if your BMI is 29.9 and under. My weigh in last week put me at 29.9. (not sure if the official one needs to be at a doctors or not). Plus, just being so hot at certain places even though it's getting chilly here. I hate the sweating, and while all of it isn't due to being overweight (sadly, I'm a sweater. Ugh), it certainly doesn't help.

I'm doing better, so far, with my cravings today. I made some chocolate protein pudding instead of eating a whole pint of ice cream.

Sorry for typos- on mobile!

MFP @saranharm
10-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Jeri,
I'm sorry you are deling with so much stress lately, that does make things harder for sure. Realizing you are an emotional eater is a good start in the process of learning how to deal with it. I am an emotional eater myself and sometimes I end up eating things without even realizing the reason why I am eating them until after eating a lot. But as long as you brush it off and move on, it should not hinder your progress (unless it ends up being a daily thing, then you need to manage your stress level).

Don't let those days discourage you. I am glad your craving were better today. Also being around treats and entering a stressful time of the year also adds up. Be kind to yourself!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-01-2016, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 02:31 PM by Jc_wt.)
I'm trying to focus this fall and winter on nailing down that tdee. I lowered my calories and I will increase by 50 every week, weighing in using Libra to track trends. Is a week enough time or should I consider two? Or do i need to be open to other numbers?

I'm hoping this can truly nail down my numbers. Because I didn't increase slowly the first time I kept gaining due to a suppressed tdee (I think).

I've been frustrated with this whole thing for the past month or so. I feel like I've totally gone backwards, into some dieting mentality. And I've lost the happy with myself/love myself as I am now. Not the way I wanted to go. And I thought it was a flash in the pan, but here I am still. I hope the mental change wasn't the flash in the pan, but it's just hiding down there. I've noticed that if I feel like I will be successful (even if not right now at this moment), I am much more positive.

^ I wrote this on my fitness pal. I realize it's almost the opposite of what I wrote the other day. I'm obviously super inconsistent. I dont even know what I want so it makes it hard to follow through instead of bouncing around. Plus, with not much support, and frustration with my body.... Makes it hard.

(10-30-2016 10:12 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Jeri,
I'm sorry you are deling with so much stress lately, that does make things harder for sure. Realizing you are an emotional eater is a good start in the process of learning how to deal with it. I am an emotional eater myself and sometimes I end up eating things without even realizing the reason why I am eating them until after eating a lot. But as long as you brush it off and move on, it should not hinder your progress (unless it ends up being a daily thing, then you need to manage your stress level).

Don't let those days discourage you. I am glad your craving were better today. Also being around treats and entering a stressful time of the year also adds up. Be kind to yourself!

Thanks! I am way less stressed than this time last year! Feel like I've made progress in that area!

Sorry for typos- on mobile!

MFP @saranharm
11-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Jeri, I'm glad you are having less stress than last year. Focusing on nailing your TDEE is an excellent choice, remember, baby steps, one thing at a time.

No matter how mucn we know, it may take years to conquer the diet mentality, it's something relly ingrained in our minds. Took me 5 years to get to the point where when the old diet mentality thoughts hit, I can just shake them off and move on. The progress will never be linear, some steps forward, some back. It's hard when we can't measure or see the progress or when one day we look in the mirror a feel super lean and then on the next we feel plump.

But we all deal with the same, maybe in a different way, but still similar.

Team EM2WL
11-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Hi Jeri
I'm not sure if this makes any difference to how you feel right now, but it was reading over your journal that really encouraged me to bite the bullet and start this EM2WL approach. It wasn't that you made huge massive changes physically, but I saw emotional changes in the way you wrote / talked about yourself. You've been inspirational through your honesty. Thanks for that! Annette
11-05-2016, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 12:44 AM by hannah77.)
Hi JC (I guess it's actually Jeri).

Sorry I didn't respond immediately to your post in answer to my question...just one of those weeks for me, not enough hours it seems like.

It is SO good to see your posts and I'm glad you're sticking to it. It's not always going to be easy, but we're here to encourage you along through the hard times.

Having been one of those who took (and is still taking) the turtle approach to reaching TDEE, hopefully I can help you with your questions. Looking back over your journal, I plugged the following into the calculator: 30 year old female, 5'4", 174 pounds. Hopefully those are pretty close? That gave me results of BMR = 1566 calories, TDEE with light activity = 2153 calories, TDEE with moderate activity = 2427 calories. You said you lowered calories, but I'm not sure to what? I'm pretty sure you've been eating well over BMR. But, I'm guessing you're feeling a little gun-shy about weight gain because of ripping the bandaid off and seeing that increase which is why you were talking about only 50 calorie increases and asked the questions "Is a week enough time or should I consider two? Or do i need to be open to other numbers?"

So, are you at least at 2000 calories (discounting last weekend of course)? And are you holding steady?

What I did was just follow the Metabolic Reset Guide, and that's my recommendation to you. From my own journey, I can say that those directions are really pretty accurate:

"As you are going through the process, gradually increasing your daily caloric intake 100 calories a week, keep an eye on the scale. Generally, as you make these increases, you may see the scale jump up a pound or two, and then during the course of the week, it will generally trend back downwards, often ending up right back where you started, pre-increase. As you get closer and closer to your calculated TDEE, you may find that it takes a bit longer for your weight to stabilize and drop back down. At this point, if you find that happening, you may want to take it a bit slower. Then if your weight has not stabilized and dropped back down by the end of the week, wait until it does before making any further increases.

Once you are at or near your calculated TDEE, watch for slow and steady increases on the scale which do not stabilize over time. If you do start seeing gains like this, you have most likely surpassed your TDEE, and which point you can back down on your intake by 100 calories or so and you should be right there — at your true TDEE."

When it says "If your weight has not stabilized and dropped back down by the end of the week, wait until it does before making any further increases" and "watch for slow and steady increases on the scale which do not stabilize over time"...the operative words wait and time = about 4-6 weeks between adjustments, which was (and continues to be) a real mental struggle for me since I was used to the pretty regular, 100 calorie weekly increases. It took me about 12 weeks to increase my calories from 1500 to 2500. I'm currently in week 13 of confirming TDEE, bouncing from 2500 (1 week) to 2600 (2 weeks) to 2700 (4 weeks) to 2600 (5 weeks) to 2575? (this week), so the second part is actually taking longer than the first part. And it was hard to see the increase for a part of that time (184 pounds to 187 pounds) after even seeing some slight losses during the previous 12 weeks...and now no loss...even though that is the definition of TDEE.

Also, don't be too tied to the calculator...Just go based on what you observe. You may find that 2153 or 2427 is below what your confirmed TDEE is. Don't try to convince yourself otherwise...I did that around 2300 calories and lost several weeks when I could have been increasing calories. Also, you may hit plateaus where you hold steady...but if you don't hit that slow, steady increase, you're not at TDEE. And slow, steady may be a trend line of .1 or .2 pounds a week.

My only last suggestion is that if you have a computer, maybe try TrendWeight. The only issue I have with Libra is that I have not been able to find a way to set the start date for its calculations...so if your calorie intake is changing from week to week, it skews the numbers. Only way I can see to overcome that is to delete entries when I change intake which I'm too lazy to do. With TrendWeight, I can have it start from whatever date I want....so right now, since I've been at 2600 for 5+ weeks, I've set the start date to 5 weeks ago. I think it gives a more accurate trend.

Anyway, hope I haven't overwhelmed you. I think the other ladies have been able to encourage you emotionally, so I'll just stick with the numbers advice for now. We all have our moments though, so don't feel like you are alone. And our moments can be weeks and months long as long as they are not lifelong.

Be kind to yourself and know that you can do this and you will be a success. Since you've tried it both ways, you'll be able to encourage everyone!
11-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Hanna, I loved your post and how you broke this down step by step, excellent way to say it!

Team EM2WL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Confessions of a Five-Year EM2WL Veteran DeedyEm 4 214 06-17-2017 08:37 PM
Last Post: Kiki
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 86 9,937 06-07-2017 09:35 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo