Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu
01-10-2017, 11:05 AM
RE: The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu
Only had time for a quick scan through this page. You're in my thoughts. I hope things settle down for you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2017, 11:41 PM
I'm back in town and finding it really hard to get back into the swing of things. Guess I've just been and will be so busy that I feel kind of overwhelmed. Logged my food yesterday and only got up to 2260 with 700 calories of dessert! Oh my! Even with all that, was only a few grams off my protein goal. Today, I managed to get up to 2423 with only 350 calories of dessert and macros are on point. But, I'm up to 187 pounds. Based on how much I've eaten the last few days, my last week travelling must have been a LOT worse than I thought, fast food and all in terms of being really low. All that's behind me now.

I got back to town at 3:15 on Tuesday and had to teach my yoga class at 5:00. In December, I was only getting 1-2 students and was expecting the same. To my surprise, I had 12 students (I think I actually had 15 but 3 did not provide their tickets and got a freebie because there were issues with the front desk and I didn't get the portable speaker until 5 and never got the keys for the equipment) so my attention was elsewhere! It was great, but I was stressed I have to admit...

My workouts are on point as well. Only have one strength and one yoga class left for this week.

Went to my physical therapy appointment and I have two sessions a week for six weeks. Still going to acupuncture. And then the semester starts next semester which ramps my daily practice back up to 2 hours a day. ARRGGHHHH! I'm really trying to figure out how I'm going to make it all work.

So, small goals. Need to get my water intake back up to 8+ glasses a day, calories to 2400. Get my husband back on track (probably ate under BMR the entire time I was gone and is up to 321 pounds...bad boy!)

Did have my appointment to request the full face CPAP mask, so hopefully that will help turn things around. Having a reduction in my allergy symptoms has been great, but still a ways to go. Have still been finding it hard to get up in the morning.

On top of all this, AFAA, the organization through which I have my group fitness certification, had an opportunity to take their new group fitness course (starting on 15 Dec) and if you take the test before the 27th of Jan and are one of the first 200 to do so, they'll give you a $500 voucher towards other courses. Continuing education costs are one of the major recurring costs an instructor has, so I couldn't pass up that opportunity...but lots of reading and studying. Scheduled to take the test next Thursday morning!

Somehow, I've got to maintain my sanity through mid-March...I will, but it's not going to be easy!
01-13-2017, 02:20 AM
Gosh, busy busy busy! It sounds like you have or will break the next few months down into bite sized pieces, and I am sure you will stay on top of everything. You must have done such a good job with your yoga classes that those who went spread the word. That's a lovely acknowledgement for you. All the best with what you have ahead of you xx
01-13-2017, 03:07 AM
Well I know you'll be heading back to school soon also which means some busy for you too.

I don't think I can take credit for the level of yoga instruction being the draw (yet!) Really think it was just a combination of the first full week back for many who took a break in December for the holidays and there is a Total Gym class at the same time in the room next door but only 12-14 machines....so I got several students who couldn't get in to their preferred class.

I'll take them either way. You really have to have a thick skin being a group fitness instructor as you're not going to full satisfy every single student to the nth degree every time but you also can't get carried away by any compliments you may receive. It's really a strange position in which to be. One of those students mentioned above, I kept getting a really negative vibe from her. Maybe it was me, maybe she really wanted the "burn" of the Total Gym class, maybe she didn't like what I was wearing, or maybe I was attributing thoughts to her that she wasn't having. On the other hand, another student (who is also an instructor of other group fitness classes) really said she enjoyed it and got some ideas to incorporate into her class. The one I loved the most though (probably because I had a similar reaction ten years ago when I went to my first yoga class) was a gentleman who came up afterwards and said he had been doing some yoga poses on his own that had really saved his back but he NEVER imagined that he would sweat so much! Success! That is one of several misconceptions I always hope to correct. The other one is that you have to be able to bend like a pretzel in order to do yoga.

I'm hoping Saturday will have about the same turnout (actually prefer about 10-15 students) with less stress. I teach at a different facility and the stereo system is already in the room so should be good....and I won't have been driving for six hours prior.

Thank you for your kind words, though! You're sweet to say.
01-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Hannah, wtg on nailing your protein even with hectic days! Deep breath, you can do this!
I'm sure your students enjoy your energy in class! Kudos for working on your continuing your education.

Isn't it crazy how eating under your BMR can spike your weight up? My own husband has been dealing with weight issues and now is again contemplating some strength training. Baby steps, right? He has first started improving his eats at night, being more conscious of what goes in. In the past he did the all or nothing approach and it always backfired. This time I am just praising him and telling him to take it slow, hoping that it will stick for life.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
01-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Hi Hannah,

I was reading your post in my journal and thought I'd respond here. I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. It's so easy to overdo it. Between piano AND flute, I don't know how you're managing. I've cut back SO drastically. Even so, without regular visits to my doctor, the pain and stiffness begin again. I'm working on a VERY VERY VERY slow recovery.

I hope your crazy schedule settles down a bit and you can reduce the stress. I love the successes you're having with your students. You're right, you'll never please everyone. Every teacher has to realize that. Learning styles are different for everyone as are fitness goal/choices. Enjoy the students who take away such positives from your class. Let the other one's just roll off your back. You're awesome! Keep up the great work, but remember to take time for you to destress!
01-16-2017, 05:01 AM
For what its worth, I think your TDEE is 2575. I think when people drop calories (like you did, to test the water) and don't see a loss but see a gain, then they automatically assume that TDEE is wrong. It's a mental game. But truth is some people on first cuts don't lose anything and that should be the expectation for everyone that does their first cut, go into it with the mindset that you might come out 6 weeks later the exact same weight. The body is great at homeostasis! Just need to out smart it by being persistent and consistent with what we do.

Some see no losses for weeks, then whoosh. Some see steady losses week on week. Some see no movement on the scale, but a loss of inches. Some see intermittent losses. It's a minefield, but mentally prepare yourself for every scenario!
01-16-2017, 03:40 PM
Week 1 of reconfirming TDEE big grin

05/24/2016 - 183.0 (EM2WL starting weight)
06/27/2016 - 181.4 (lowest recorded weight since starting EM2WL)

11/21/2016 - 187.8 (previous week's avg calories 2521) macros - 35%C; 31F%; 34%P
11/28/2016 - 187.4 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
12/05/2016 - 184.4 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
12/12/2016 - 183.2 (previous week's avg calories 2374; macros - 36%C; 34F%; 30%P)
12/19/2016 - 184.4 (previous week's avg calories 2405; macros - 32%C; 38F%; 30%P)
12/26/2016 - 186.2 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
01/02/2017 - 185.8 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
01/03/2017 - 184.8 (previous day's calories - unk)
01/04/2017 - 185.8 (previous day's calories - unk)
01/05/2017 through 01/10/2017 - everything unk during my trip but probably low calories, low protein!
01/11/2017 - 186.2 (previous day's calories - unk)
01/12/2017 - 187.0 (previous day's calories = 2260)
01/13/2017 - 186.6 (previous day's calories = 2423)
01/14/2017 - 186.6 (previous day's calories = 2410)
01/15/2017 - 185.2 (previous day's calories = 2570)
01/16/2017 - 185.8 (previous day's calories = 2452)

Workouts - Walk X3 (avg 41 min); Yoga X2 (60 min); H2O Aerobics X1 (60 min); Strength X2 (avg 33 min)

The trends are probably out of whack with so many periods of no calorie data, so will give them a couple weeks of data and then change my starting date in Trendweight to today. But for what they're worth:
Libra/Trendweight say I'm gaining .2/.3 pounds and burning 125/165 calories less than I eat.

My original goal coming into the new year and after my trip was to start at 2400 calories and start inching up from there. To be perfectly honest, the 12th and 13th were really hard. Even with hitting protein and fiber goals, I was STARVING! The 14th, decided to just go ahead and eat some more and my weight dropped. Leads me to believe my body appreciated the extra fuel and reinforced my thinking that my TDEE may be a little higher than the 2575 I thought it was. Yesterday, I stuck at 2450 for my rest day, but again at midnight, I didn't think I would be able to sleep my tummy was growling so much. Might have been better to eat a cheese stick and hit 2500, but I didn't...my weight went up a little today. Not to provide TMI, but part of the issue was not having a BM before weighing because I got up a couple hours earlier than I have been (trying to get ready for semester starting). Don't think my pipes were functioning yet. Sad

Goals for this week are 2500, macros in line and water intake. Semester is starting along with twice a week aqua physical therapy, so things are going to be busy. Still going to try and hit all my workouts this week. Also have my group fitness certification test this Thursday and our metabolic and body composition testing on Tuesday (although it sounds like we won't get the results until we attend a follow-on course about nutrition, metabolism, etc....will be interesting to see what their approach is).

Not going to report on hubbie for a while except to say I'm trying to keep his macros on point and his calories in the 3000-3100 range if he stays in the 320-321 pound range. We're still trying to arrange the endocrinologist and he's really just in a holding pattern. I am not happy about his lack of eating while I was gone, but at least I learned my lessons from last July. I did not ask him to log his food or even ask him while I was gone. Too much stress for me and nothing I could do about it. Didn't really even ask when I got home, just moved on.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm not losing pounds, but I feel smaller and just plain healthier. I still have a watermelon belly, but it feels like it's shrinking. Maybe just 1/2 a watermelon as opposed to the huge ones everyone shares at summer picnics! Yoga's going great...had nine students on Saturday. Two were my regular students, one was a guy who hadn't been to my class since 10 December...and the other six were new. If I could just get everyone to come back, my classes would be huge! That makes a total of sixteen new students this week. I think the most realistic, accurate gauge of how I'm doing is how many returnees (from either Tuesday or Saturday) I get at tomorrow's class. Lots of people tell me they plan on coming, but reality is usually less than that number. But, I'm optimistic!

My TDEE may very well be 2575, but looking back over my records, I've been hit or miss on the tracking for a couple months. Better to take a little time to double check. I don't think it will take nearly as long as the last time. Plan is to confirm by the end of February and be able to make some decisions about cutting or eating at TDEE. When I tried the reduction in December, I really didn't notice any hunger dropping to 2300. Now, with my appetite at 2450, not really wanting to drop below 2500! Our minds are so crazy, always wanting the opposite of what we have (complain about having to eat so many calories when we're at maintenance and then complain about not having enough calories when we're cutting)!
01-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Good for you, Hannah, for avoiding the stress of checking in on hubby's progress (or lack thereof) while you were gone! It's hard to do, as women we are used to worrying about everyone, but kudos on learning that it's a battle you won't win so why cause yourself the stress. Traveling is hard enough!

And good for you on the returnees to your yoga class! Can't wait to hear how this week goes...
01-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Feeling smaller and feeling better and healthier beats losing weight anytime! The old diet mentality will disagree, but goes to the fact that we can lose weight in any way, sweating a gallon of water, getting a stomach bug, losing a limb, you get the point. The key is to lose fat, that's what will actually make you smaller.

Not allowing your husband journey distress you is a good thing. Mine signed up with a gym, signed up with a PT and is inching his way... I wish he would go a tad faster, but well, baby steps, right?

How are the yoga classes going? I usually do it at home, but with my 2 years old it doesn't work well. He thinks it's play time and keeps climbing on me.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Carley's journey to health Original_Beauty 5 11,789 08-31-2018 08:42 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  Joy In The Journey Sunshine44 50 33,733 05-12-2017 10:41 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  A well nourished journey jsue6 16 12,687 03-14-2017 02:59 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  kathy's journey kathy 8 8,009 08-26-2016 09:24 PM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Liane's new journey forward mrsukyankee 489 464,046 06-21-2016 08:38 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
Wink The Start of My New Journey Candi 141 92,629 05-23-2016 06:55 AM
Last Post: Candi
  Rebekah's EM2WL Journey Rebekah 15 12,549 04-06-2016 08:31 AM
Last Post: emma
  Journey to Hope mjj79 57 48,864 12-07-2015 06:25 PM
Last Post: tillymonstar
  Taking the first step without seeing the whole staircase oldlady 46 34,419 12-02-2015 05:10 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Katie's Journey from Low Cal Diets and Binging to Health! kfbattle 11 11,647 09-03-2015 01:03 PM
Last Post: mrsukyankee