Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu
01-18-2017, 10:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2017 11:00 PM by hannah77.)
RE: The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu
Try to imagine:

Wife is in one cubicle with a health educator and Husband is in the next cubicle with another health educator.
--------------------------------------------------
Husband's Health Educator (to husband): Now here is your RMR, 2489.

Husband (to his Health Educator): My wife's making me eat A LOT more than that!

Wife (to her Health Educator): Oh no! He's got the wrong idea in his head. He's going to say I'm feeding him too much and that's why his weight is not going down. I hope he explains it.

Wife's Health Educator (to Wife): I'm sure he will.

Husband (to his Health Educator): So, I shouldn't be eating more than 2489 calories.

Husband's Health Educator (to Husband): No, that's the MINIMUM. You should NEVER eat less than that.

Silence....
------------------------------------------------
Later on in the car:

Wife (To Husband): Do you believe me now?

Husband (To Wife): I was eating like 1000 calories while you were gone.

Wife (To Husband): No wonder you gained weight.
-------------------------------------------------------

So, the words may not have been exactly verbatim, but this is pretty much what happened at our Metabolic and Body Composition Testing. I'm still not sure hubbie is convinced that he should be eating 3000-3100 calories, but at least I don't think I'll get any more arguments about 2500. LOL! They briefly showed us our results, but we don't actually get them until we attend an Upping Your Metabolism class in about two weeks. The good news is that their calibrated scales actually weighed us several pounds less than our scale at home (hubbie was around 315 vice 321 and I was 184.5 vice 186.5). The bad news is that the BodPod has my body fat at about 42% vice my scale at home at 37%. That was a downer! Something like 100 pounds of bone, muscle, essentials and 80 pounds of fat! My RMR result was 1591 which was smack dab in the middle of average. At least it isn't low. I'll post more information once we go to the class as that's where (I believe) we're supposed to get our calculated TDEE. While they weren't spouting off anything too crazy on the fat loss program, in general, my health educator told me whatever that TDEE figure is, I should eat 500 calories less to lose fat without damaging my metabolism. Assuming that is based on 3500 calories per pound to lose one pound a week. The other great news is they encourage patrons to come back every 30 days for Bod Pod retests, so we can see how we're going. And they also do Cardiorespiratory fitness testing as well as tests to measure muscular, fitness, and flexibility. It's through the military base, so free for us to utilize their services!

I'm not too keen on the 500 calories. Even at 2500 calories, I am starving! All of last year, I never experienced hunger like this. Tonight, my stomach was already growling before I even finished dinner (chicken, carrots, avocado, halos, french bread with melted cheese). Maybe 250 calories...but even that is a frightening thought!

Yoga, I had nine students yesterday and increased returnees from two to four. So, only 5 newbies. Saturday, there's a health fair at the fitness center, so all classes are cancelled. Hopefully, next Tuesday the returnees will increase again. Doubling is always good. When I used to do yoga at home and I had the two cats I had to put to sleep in 2014 and 2016, they would come around. Usually under my chest as I was getting to come down into crocodile or they would flop down next to the mat and go to sleep or cuddle with me when I hit final relaxation. My remaining cat doesn't do that...I miss the feline interaction.

School was pretty good today. Love my music fundamentals teacher. She is a hoot! And at least for the first six weeks, it should be pretty easy as the course pretty much starts from ground zero explaining the staff, where different notes are located in different clefs. That was the good news as I'm still not sure how I'm going to maintain my sanity until March. Same flute teacher as last semester but now she says that I have to practice TWO hours a day (14 hours a week) vice the nine. I'm just not sure how that's going to go along with the piano practice, the other two classes I'm taking, plus everything else going on in my life. But, I'll do my best.

Sorry if this is short. Have to get up early tomorrow for my Group Fitness Certification test (I'm already certified, but testing out AFAA's new certification course in exchange for credit to be used towards continuing education courses). Still have several hours of studying to go.

Tereza, glad your husband is physically and mentally at the point where he can go to the gym. It's really kind of sad, before the last decade and a half of significant traumatic episodes with my husband's knees (he slipped on a basketball court and his knee basically ended up in his thigh and they almost amputated his leg...then all of the follow-on surgeries with that, plus back/shoulder issues and now this low testosterone), he used to lift weights all the time, use the treadmill and elliptical, and really watched what he ate. Then, I think he just gave up for a while. Last year, he started getting back into the resistance bands and then the issue with his elbow. It's not that he lacks motivation or the desire to work out, he's just got to get some things straightened out medically first. So, I think if I can get him to just keep eating around 3000 calories and moving some (stationary bike or walk), that's good for now.

Would love updates on how your hubbie is doing!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2017, 12:05 AM
Whoops! Was starving, ate some frozen yogurt and protein yogurt and then realized that my walk had come across from my UA band but I hadn't changed it to a burn of 1 calorie. So today, I 'm at 2642 calories....oh well, we'll see what tomorrow brings, but at least my stomach will have something to stop it growling. Couldn't figure out how I could be short on the protein also....but with the adjustment, I'm well over now. happy
01-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Wow Hannah, just wow!! So glad your hubby is finally understanding BMR! The program you guys are in sounds amazing! How did you find it? I'm wondering if there's something near me that is similar. And congrats on the yoga returnees!! Such great news!!
01-19-2017, 04:02 PM
The class and education you're doing sounds so cool and interesting! That's too funny about the conversations back and forth! Glad your hubby is learning, though. I too am not wanting to cut calories in the future, I like my food! Keep up the good work!
01-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Hannah, my husband has never been an athletic person. I wasn't an athletic person myself, lol. When I started my fitness journey, he was going to the gym and I kept thinking that if he could do it, I could do as well. Fast forward, I kept going, he ended up stopping when life got busy. I don't think nagging and telling him what to do works, so I just try to lead by example, hoping that something will stick. He saw the trainer yesterday, even though he had doms. I don't think I can get him to log cals, but I cook at home and bug him to eat breakfast.

Yay on the yoga students and having a good music fundamentals teacher. I'm sure you will ace your test tomorrow!

Yikes on less 500 cals... To be honest, I believe that my TDEE is higher than the calculator gives me. I've been eating between 2700 and 3000 and the weight has been stable (well, the size has been the same, I don't really weight myself often, last time was at the doctors office). I'm 5'4", so the calculator doesn't give me much anyways. I've been wanting to do a small cut to see the muscle I've been building, but seriously, the thought of cutting cals makes me go "nevermind"...

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
01-23-2017, 01:29 AM
Week 2 of reconfirming TDEE

05/24/2016 - 183.0 (EM2WL starting weight)
06/27/2016 - 181.4 (lowest recorded weight since starting EM2WL)

11/21/2016 - 187.8 (previous week's avg calories 2521) macros - 35%C; 31F%; 34%P
11/28/2016 - 187.4 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
12/05/2016 - 184.4 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
12/12/2016 - 183.2 (previous week's avg calories 2374; macros - 36%C; 34F%; 30%P)
12/19/2016 - 184.4 (previous week's avg calories 2405; macros - 32%C; 38F%; 30%P)
12/26/2016 - 186.2 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
01/02/2017 - 185.8 (previous week's avg calories - unk)
01/09/2017 - unk (previous week's avg calories - unk)
01/16/2017 - 185.8 (previous 5 day's average calories = 2423, macros unknown)
01/17/2017 - 186.6
01/18/2017 - 185.4
01/19/2017 - 186.2
01/20/2017 - 186.6
01/21/2017 - unk
01/22/2017 - unk
01/23/2017 - unk (previous week's avg calories 2529) macros - 36%C; 34%F; 30%P

Workouts - Walk X1 (25 min); Yoga X1 (60 min); H2O Aerobics X1 (60 min); Strength X2 (avg 36 min); Cardio (3X20 min)

Libra says I'm losing .1 pounds and burning 41 calories more than I eat. Trendweight say I'm gaining .2 pounds and burning 115 calories less than I eat. But three things will keep me here around 2500 calories this week. 1) Our faithful scale died. I don't know how long we've had the darn thing, but it traveled around the world with us for at least 10 years. Based on my and my husband's Bodpod measurement, it was weighing a little high but at least it was consistent. Won't turn on now, so have to wait for our new scale to arrive something this week, fingers crossed. Really thought about getting an aria scale so I wouldn't have to log the numbers, but I just couldn't see spending that much on something that hopefully I will be able to wean myself off in the next couple years. 2) Workout schedule was over what I normally do. One less walk and one less yoga class, but I had two hour long aqua PT sessions which I think more than equaled my walks. Then, at the health fair I attended as part of being a group fitness instructor, I tried out 3 mini sessions classes just to see what was new....20 minutes spin, 20 minutes of something called Wave (exercises done on BOSU), and 20 minutes of something called Pound (cardio with weighted drum sticks). That burned more than the yoga I didn't teach, I'm sure. 3) This past week has just been incredibly stressful and exhausting starting the PT, getting back into the swing of things with school, and my group fitness certification test.

What to say about that...hhhmmmm. Let's just say I'll find out by the end of April. I went back and reviewed my answers and I was 100% positively sure on ~60 questions. The other 60? There were 30-40 where I could narrow it down to two of the four options and/or where I was pretty confident in my answer but not 100%. On the other hand, there were 20-30 questions, I was like, "What? I don't have even a slight recollection of that being covered anywhere in that 900 page text book!" Sometimes I think they pull questions out of the small print of the text or they try to find the most obscure information from which they can create a question. Since it was a "new" exam they are developing, there were 120 questions but they're only going to count 100 after they get the pool of results and can evaluate if there was a trend in question failure rates and then they'll set the passing score. But, it was pretty nerve-wracking!!

Sorry I won't be able to journal too much in the near future. While only registered for 10 credit hours, with the music practice (and a 90 minute recital class every week that has a zero credit hour assigned to it), it is basically like a full time job. Seems my list of tasks for school and yoga is never-ending. Then, there's the cooking, the logging, and all the things to take care of around the house. My poor husband has basically been abandoned to our PlayStation Vue for entertainment as I am only finding like an hour a day to spend with him catching up on "our" shows. I do hope things kind of settle down in the next month or so, but I'm sure that's playing havoc with my weight as well. Course I don't know at this point with no scale the last three days!

Hope you all have wonderful weeks!
01-23-2017, 09:18 AM
I always view scales break down as positive omens, lol! I pretty much broke up with the scale once the battery died and I was lazy to go to dollar tree to buy a cheap battery (sorry, that sucker does not deserve a pricey Duracell). Guess what, once I finally turned it back on it didn't feel the same anymore laughing))

When things get busy, something has to give. Just do what you have to do, check with us when you can.

Team EM2WL
01-24-2017, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 12:07 AM by hannah77.)
Decided to take a resistance band break this week. It's only been three weeks since my last one (26 Dec - 1 Jan), but I'm just trying to listen to my body. Was in the middle of my piano lesson today and the fire alarm went off. The whole building had to be evacuated and we were standing outside for 20-30 minutes. After all that and my normal practice time following, didn't get home until 5:30pm which was too late (dark and windy) for walk and butted up right into dinner time. Just felt like I needed to just unwind instead of trying to get a band session in at 7 or 8pm. Wednesday night, I have an MRI which eats up another evening. Then, there's the increased stress on my wrist revving up all the music practice. I figured I'm getting some resistance training in the aqua physical therapy and by next week I should be better adjusted to the schedule.

Despite the interruption, had a REALLY great piano lesson. I really do love my professor. She amazes me with her ability to start reading just about any piece of music I put in front of her (as we were trying to figure out what my pieces would be for this semester). I guess that's what studying and playing professionally for decades and decades does for you.

I also saw my flute teacher in the hall between classes and told her I was going to have to build up to 14 hours a week because physically, I just can't bounce back and forth from the flute and piano for 3-4 hours. I tried one night (even with a 45-minute break for dinner) and at about the 2-1/2 hour point, my back had had enough. She was very nice and said she didn't want there to be any pain and to just try and reach 10 hours this week and go from there.

The big challenges this semester as opposed to last is that I have to play twice for each instrument sometime during the recital class which basically means each month I have to prepare a piece. While not strictly required, memorization is encouraged. That is definitely a weak point of mine, never really having practiced or been taught how. And, at the end of the semester, we have jury performances where our instructor and two other music instructors sit and evaluate technical skill (scales, finger exercises) and pieces (two). Another weak point of mine is performance. So, gotta just take a deep breath and just work the process every week.

Actually had a chance to watch a couple episodes of some tv shows with my husband that we watch together and now gotta put the music play list together for tomorrow's yoga class and plan out my major flows. Tomorrow, I have a follow-up in the morning with the pharmacist re: my latest blood test results and see if he's going to recommend any changes in my Lipitor or Metformin (think they'll stay the same). Afternoon physical therapy and then yoga class.
01-24-2017, 10:10 AM
Talking about tv shows, my friends convinced me to whatch This Is Us, so I started catching up with some on demand. It's definitely a nice show, now I know why they were bugging me so much to watch it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who connects with DH (dear husband) while bing watching series!

Team EM2WL
01-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Week 3 of reconfirming TDEE

01/16/2017 - 185.8 (previous 5 day's average calories = 2423, macros unknown)
01/23/2017 - unk (previous week's avg calories 2529) macros - 36%C; 34%F; 30%P
01/24/2017 - unk
01/25/2017 - unk
01/26/2017 - unk
01/27/2017 - unk
01/28/2017 - 183.2
01/29/2017 - 183.0
01/30/2017 - 183.4 (previous week's avg calories 2500) macros - 36%C; 34%F; 30%P

The new scale arrived on Friday, so while it may look like I've lost some weight...probably mostly attributable to the new scale. From our body composition appointment, it seemed our old scale was weighing about 2 pounds heavy which means 16 January weight would actually be 183.8. Who knows if this new scale is more calibrated. In any case I decided not to list all the previous weeks results with the old scale, especially since I'm in the midst of confirming TDEE. Plan is to sit at 2500 calories for a week or two so I can see what the trend is with the new scale. Will reset my Trendweight to start on the 28th as well.

Things have been crazy busy. Was supposed to see my pharmacist on Tuesday, but he was having an issue with his id card, so I ended up seeing someone else. We decided to bump up my Metformin to 500mg every night vice 250. My A1C is on the creep (up another .1), so want to try and get ahead of it. My triglycerides were a lot higher than the last time as well, so increasing the fish oil supplementation. I had some bottles from a different brand than I had been using that I need to use up before switching to the new brand my integrated health doctor recommended, so maybe that had something to do with it (lesser quality perhaps). She also said I needed to drink more for hydration, so I'm trying to meet that minimum 64 oz a day. Had been slacking off a bit the last couple months and I guess the blood work showed it.

Physical therapy isn't helping too much but figure I might as well ride it out for another five weeks...or maybe see about switching to some land based therapy, especially for my back. But, the therapist did try some dry needling on Friday and we're going to continue with that.

Was pretty active last week even while taking a resistance band break. Just going to see how it goes over the next couple months. With the exception of Tuesday, I'm leaving for school around 1130 and not getting home until after 5 which runs into dinner prep and then I'm usually practicing music again or doing coursework for my history class or prepping for yoga classes. Mornings, I'm getting up, breakfast prep (and protein shakes for me AND hubbie who still can't seem to make his own), school prep, and eating lunch before I go. I'm not going to stress over it. While not lifting (heavy) is not the recommended course of action, I still get some strength training in with the water aerobics, the type of yoga classes I teach, and the physical therapy. And with all the music practice, my back is really struggling right now...so listen to my body, listen to my body.

Speaking of which, had 16 students at class on Saturday. What was really exciting was one young girl, probably around 16 or 17 (who came with her mother on 2 Jan), came back and brought like 3-4 friends and a friend's mother with her, none had ever taken a yoga class before. Had a lot of great feedback from multiple students and then, just to keep me humble, one not so great. I think I'm usually pretty good giving out modifications to make poses easier or harder, but one lady said she still thought it was too advanced for her and that she wanted to do more stretching as yoga was recommended by her doctor for a stiff neck. OUCH! Hard to deal with different levels of expectation. She did say since it was her first time that it might just take a while and she would see how she felt in the coming days and would probably give it another try. Maybe she only associates stretching with static stretching, but will see if I can incorporate something for her that can benefit the rest of the class as well. Laura's post about her experience in the pilates/yoga course is fresh in my mind as well. The last thing I want is to cause anyone to have a negative experience in my class.

We also have the Upping the Metabolism class this Friday from our body composition and RMR testing. Once we attend that, we can start having composition re-analysis monthly...which will be good so we can see if our body fat is reducing, even if our weight is not.

Have a great week everybody!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Carley's journey to health Original_Beauty 5 11,790 08-31-2018 08:42 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  Joy In The Journey Sunshine44 50 33,734 05-12-2017 10:41 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  A well nourished journey jsue6 16 12,688 03-14-2017 02:59 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  kathy's journey kathy 8 8,009 08-26-2016 09:24 PM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Liane's new journey forward mrsukyankee 489 464,048 06-21-2016 08:38 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
Wink The Start of My New Journey Candi 141 92,632 05-23-2016 06:55 AM
Last Post: Candi
  Rebekah's EM2WL Journey Rebekah 15 12,549 04-06-2016 08:31 AM
Last Post: emma
  Journey to Hope mjj79 57 48,865 12-07-2015 06:25 PM
Last Post: tillymonstar
  Taking the first step without seeing the whole staircase oldlady 46 34,420 12-02-2015 05:10 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Katie's Journey from Low Cal Diets and Binging to Health! kfbattle 11 11,647 09-03-2015 01:03 PM
Last Post: mrsukyankee