Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu
02-01-2017, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 10:44 PM by hannah77.)
RE: The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step -- Lao Tzu
Here are my February measurements compared to January:

Age - 46
Height - 5'5"
Starting Weight - 183.0, Current Weight - 182.4 (new scale)

Measurements
Body Part 2 Jan 17 - 1 Feb 17:
Neck 13.75 - 13.50, loss of .25
R Bicep 13.00 - 13.00, loss of 0
L Bicep 13.00 - 13.00, loss of 0
Chest 37.50 -37.00, loss of .50
Bust 39.75 - 39.50, loss of .25
Waist 38.00 - 38.50, gain of .5
Hips 44.00 - 43.00, loss of 1.0
Hips (lower) 43.00 - 42.50, loss of .50
R Thigh 24.00 - 23.50, loss of .50
L Thigh 23.75 - 23.50, loss of .25
R Calf 15.00 - 14.75, loss of .25
L Calf 15.00 - 14.75, loss of .25

That's 3.25 inch loss. Waist was up a bit...but could just be the way I measure. If I really mis-measured all body parts, even 1/2 of that at over 1.5 inches lost would be good. Since I began measuring last May, I have lost a total of 16 inches, mostly in hips and thighs. If you look at my weight, that hasn't really gone down much, so hopefully evidence of increasing muscle and decreasing fat. Still got a ways to go, but that's okay.

I also said my my last post that I was just going to see how things go with the workouts just because of schedule and time constraints. Then, I had a think about it and decided while it may not be optimum, I can usually find 10 minutes somewhere in my day to work out a body part or two. If I do that 5-6 times a week, that's pretty close to the 2 X 30-35 minutes I was doing. Even if it's just 45 minutes, better than no strength training at all.

It may be a little early to tell, but it does seem that I am trending down a little bit on the weight this week on the new scale. I'm also doing pretty well with 2500 calorie level and being away in class or practice rooms most the day. I seem to have struck a balance between what I eat through the day and not having to cram too much in late in the evening so I think I'm going to hang out here for a month or two months and see where this small reduction takes me.

Routine here is still pretty hectic. First recital piece on flute will be next week which is exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2017, 06:03 PM
WOOHOO - flute recital piece! What are you playing?

I'm sure your life is pretty crazy these days. I hope you continue to find time to put your health first with a balance with the music of course! I haven't touched a piano in nearly 6 weeks. My hand is still though not overly sore. Time to try out the piano and see how it goes!
03-16-2017, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 11:25 PM by hannah77.)
Wow! Has it really been over six weeks since I last posted? Things have just been crazy busy with school, practice, physical therapy, medical appointments, and subbing fitness classes. Spring break is almost over already and I decided to multi-task (as always) and type an update while watching March Madness.

Well, let's see. First couple weeks of February, I stuck at 2500 calories and then decided to try a cut. I based it on 2575 being my TDEE, but my schedule lately has been really off...so 2500 is probably closer (currently no strength training or consistent walks). So, the cut is somewhere in the range of 9-12%.

Here's the summary:

30 Jan-05 Feb, avg 2496 calories, macros 34%C, 35%F, 31%P. Monday weigh-in: 183.4
06-12 Feb, avg 2501 calories, macros 32%C, 39%F, 29%P. Monday weigh-in: 183.8
13-19 Feb, avg 2308 calories, macros 37%C, 33%F, 30%P. Monday weigh-in: 183.6
20-26 Feb, avg 2216 calories, macros 36%C, 32%F, 32%P. Monday weigh-in: 182.4
27 Feb-05 Mar, avg 2282 calories, macros 36%C, 33%F, 31%P. Monday weigh-in: 181.0
06-12 Mar, avg 2293 calories, macros 38%C, 32%F, 30%P. Monday weigh-in: 179.6 (sub 180 for 1st time in almost 4 years!)
13 Mar - 180.4
14 Mar - 181.2
15 Mar - 180.6
16 Mar - 181.2 (we had Korean yesterday, knew it would be high sodium, but DELICIOUS! and way over calories for day)
Week to date: avg 2341 calories, macros 38%C, 32%F, 30%P

While it my seem like I'm focusing on weight, I'm really not. As you can see, my daily weight fluctuates up and down and it doesn't really phase me...probably because I feel like gerbil on a wheel most of the time. I just note it down and go on.

Probably the better gauge of how I'm doing is I had another bodpod body composition analysis today:

01/17/2017 - 184.353 pounds, 42.4% body fat, 78.091 pounds fat weight, 106.262 pounds fat free weight
03/16/2017 - 180.578 pounds, 41.1% body fat, 74.293 pounds fat weight, 106.295 pounds fat free weight

While it seems like two months, this is really the change in just over four weeks when I started the cut...I've lost 1.3% body fat and almost 4 pounds while maintaining my lean muscle mass (actually gained .032 pounds of that!). The health coach just said to keep doing what I'm doing which was great validation.

Another NSV is last week my water aerobics instructor (class I've been going to for almost two years) commented that I have a lot of weight. I said not really, only about five pounds in the last couple months and she said I've really leaned out then.

The jeans I mentioned few posts go that endangered people with possible bursting button? They got too loose and I had to switch them for a smaller sized pair that's been hanging in my closets.

I didn't take photos or measurements on 1 March (again, too busy) but I plan to do so on 1 April and then probably another bodpod follow up in May after the semester is over.

We'll see in a couple weeks how the weight loss is going to decide whether to drop to 2200-2250 or stay at 2300 for another month before going back to TDEE.

I've also become less OCD about getting exactly to a calorie count every day or even every week. Again, just born of necessity. With my schedule, some days I'm just fueling on protein shakes and protein bars and sandwiches on the go. I don't get around to logging until later and I just don't have the energy to waste on "perfection" in the numbers.

On other fronts, having some challenges. Not only has my right wrist started flaring up, but my left as well. It's actually quite painful and really affects my playing and practice. I've started doing some research about options to try and alleviate the symptoms. One thing I've changed up is trying not to have marathon 2-hour practice sessions but breaking them up into focused 30-40 minute sessions.

I was going to attach a copy of my flute recital piece, but the format is not allowed. Considering it was my first piece, I was relatively happy with it. Some mistakes, some miscues between me and the accompanist, and slower than I wanted to play it...but an achievement no less. It was the Minuette I and II from Bach's Sonata IV.

The piano piece I played last week was abysmal! I don't know what went wrong...had been pretty good in practices, but they pulled out a different piano for the recital than I was expecting (and all pianos do "feel" different) and I also think I have a mental block about public piano playing that I need to overcome. Like instead of attacking the music I feel intimated....hard to explain.

Other things I've had to let go by the wayside for the time being was strength training and consistent walks. I think I mentioned a couple posts ago that I was going to try and work in 10 minutes strength training every day since I couldn't seem to carve out 35 minutes a couple times week...that experiment failed miserably! And I was getting home after dark most days, which eliminated my walks. With daylight savings time now, hopefully I can take 1-2 of those a week just to spend some time with my husband.

I still think I'm getting some strength training in. I still manage to attend one H2O aerobics class a week and I'm still teaching two yoga classes. In the last month or so, I've also subbed six other classes (first water classes I've ever taught even though I certified last June) along with some yoga and class for mothers with toddlers. All that has contributed to more activity (mentally and physically)....and just attending school causes me to move more.

So, I don't stress over that either. I do what I can do when I can and just ensure I hold steady with the three classes every week.

I think that's about it. I have been lurking and following other's journals. Hopefully I can find some time to post...but if not, please know that I'm rooting for you all and enjoy hearing about your journeys!
03-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Wow - that is all pretty darn great! I can't wait to start losing inches and fit in my tight jeans big grin Of course right now I am enjoying eating so no cut for me for a bit hehe.
03-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Agreed - sounds like everything is falling to place. Yay you!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Going down on body fat while keeping the lean mass is e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g! Your coach is right, keep doing it! Losing fat and inches while eating 2200+ rules! No VLCD adept will believe you, actually your own self years ago would not believe it for sure, but it is true and is the way to go.

Don't wait until April to take the measurements and pics, if you have a chance, do it sooner. I'm sure letting go of chasing perfection in everything does alleviates stress and helps with the fat loss. Keep updating!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
03-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Wow, how nice to have someone comment that you look leaner! Way to go! Sorry your wrists are hurting. Pain can be such a bummer! Keep up the good work!
03-23-2017, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 02:50 AM by hannah77.)

(03-18-2017 01:05 PM)Frosty Wrote:  Wow, how nice to have someone comment that you look leaner! Way to go! Sorry your wrists are hurting. Pain can be such a bummer! Keep up the good work!

Especially since I'm in a bathing suit when I see her!

Just wanted to chime in with a quick update here. No specific numbers to report although a few days ago I was a tick up on the scale (around 182)...but no worries. One of my best friends (the oldest friend that I still keep in touch with, and old as in terms of how long we've known each other, almost 25 years) was in town over the weekend with his brother so I went out to dinner with them on Friday night, when I only had about 300 calories left for the day. You know what happened there....way over. And then we had dinner on Sunday night. I didn't worry about calories or macros and just enjoyed the food and the company. Hadn't seen him in about two years. Set a goal to get back to 2300 calories on Monday and mis-calculated how many calories I had left and ended up at 2350.

But I am back on track and we'll see what the results of the week are. Probably will drop to 2200 which would be <= 15% cut for the month of April and then celebrate coming to the end of the semester with a return to TDEE for a while while I don't have to be in school all the time. Will be taking summer school, but online for "non-music" requirements.

This first week back from spring break has been tiring. Slept in today instead of going to water aerobics, but I'll make it up on Friday morning. Probably going to bump up my yoga teaching schedule to 3X a week starting April for at least 3 months (mostly during summer break) and see how it goes. I'm looking to do a HIIT and yoga paddleboard certification in June which would require me to re-evaluate my classes as I would switch out at least one "land" yoga class for "water."

At school, had my first practice with the piano accompanist for my second flute recital piece. It actually went pretty well. This time we're taking the process a bit slower. Last time, I practiced with her twice (a week apart). Immediately (literally, like 30 minutes later) following the second practice, I played in a Masters Class for vocalists as a "test run" for the recital which I played the next day....probably not the smartest thing to do but I felt like I had a deadline to get my first piece played. This time, we practiced today and then I had her play her part solo so I could record it for practicing purposes. We'll practice again in a couple weeks and I'll play in the Masters Class. Then, I'm going to work on it with my instructor a couple more weeks and play it again at the next Masters Class and then the recital the next day. So, I should be prepared and am actually looking forward to it. Only challenge is that doesn't leave me many recital opportunities afterwards for my 2nd piano piece, so I may have to play that some time beforehand.
03-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Great update, Hannah! So glad that everything is going well with you! happy
03-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Good to hear you had a great time with your friend! yay for enjoying the company, the fun and the eats!
The week after spring break has been tough around here too. DLS hit me badly!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Joy In The Journey Sunshine44 45 1,490 Yesterday 08:13 PM
Last Post: FionaSchipke
  A well nourished journey jsue6 16 1,756 03-14-2017 02:59 PM
Last Post: Frosty
  kathy's journey kathy 8 1,325 08-26-2016 09:24 PM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
  Liane's new journey forward mrsukyankee 489 170,339 06-21-2016 08:38 AM
Last Post: KatiAuchinleck
Wink The Start of My New Journey Candi 141 15,101 05-23-2016 06:55 AM
Last Post: Candi
  Rebekah's EM2WL Journey Rebekah 15 2,574 04-06-2016 08:31 AM
Last Post: emma
  Journey to Hope mjj79 57 14,648 12-07-2015 06:25 PM
Last Post: tillymonstar
  Taking the first step without seeing the whole staircase oldlady 46 8,581 12-02-2015 05:10 PM
Last Post: AnitraSoto
  Katie's Journey from Low Cal Diets and Binging to Health! kfbattle 11 3,571 09-03-2015 01:03 PM
Last Post: mrsukyankee
  Jeanette's Journey merrickj 8 4,217 06-14-2015 02:01 PM
Last Post: mrsukyankee