Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Maggie's Journal
11-21-2017, 09:10 AM
RE: Maggie's Journal
Thanks Fiona!! I was starting to think I was all alone on an island...LOL! happy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2017, 08:49 PM
(11-21-2017 09:10 AM)MaggieG123 Wrote:  Thanks Fiona!! I was starting to think I was all alone on an island...LOL! happy

Yes! This forum is a little slow at the moment. I hope it starts to be a little more active again. I think Facebook is good for some things but I feel this forum is so much more helpful in many ways.
11-22-2017, 08:44 AM
I agree...especially with that long-winded post of mine, LOL! Also, I like to keep all my info in one place so it's easy to refer back to. I'm still looking for an answer on the Body Pump cardio thing, though...anyone? Anyone? Buehler, Buehler? LOL! rolling on the floor
11-22-2017, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2017 09:07 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
Yes, we are here! A bit on slow side plus holidays and all, it’s that time of the year. Then comes January and everyone starts posting everywhere!

Good to hear about your recovery, Maggie! I am sure it will keep improving. Some injuries take such a long time to recover. I fell down on my knee on July 2016 andcouldnt handle touching the spot, much less kneeling on it until very recently. There was no swelling, redness and I could walk and squat normally, just couldn’t touch the spot...

Fine is right about puffing up after some workouts. For me, the water retention is usually worse during endurance phases. High reps, lower #’s make me carry extra water for days at a time. Strength phases also do it (yesterday I had to fight with my jeans after a leg workout), but the fluid retention goes away faster.

Body pump, I did it a few times. It’s fast, can be fun, hard, makes you sweat but is cardiowith weights. Usually we never go above 10, 12 #’s and depending on the exercise, we stay much lower. In a good endurance phase, you’d be using db’s that are a little lighter than what you could lift for 6-8 reps, but not so much lighter. For example, if I can use 25-30 lbs dbs for a bench press, I’d be able to do 20 reps with 15-20 lbs, while at a body pump session, with not much rest or anything in between, I wouldn’t be able to use more than 10-12 lbs.

Bottom line, is it bad for you? No. The best exercise is the one you enjoy and keep doing. Will it bring same results on muscle and fat, nope, it still is cardio.

Do you have issues with diastasis recti? If so, make sure to pay attention to what core exercises you are doing not to aggravate it.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
11-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Nope, no diastasis recti, just a weak core from not being able to work out properly for a year. It's definitely getting better though! I'm definitely lifting more than 10 or 12 pounds in BodyPump. It's fun for me and I enjoy it, which is always my number one priority. I've started working out with a trainer once a week, and she's going to give me a good lifting program, strength focused, that I will swap in for one of my Body Pump classes. I'll see how that goes and then reevaluate. I'm not ready to give up BodyPump completely just yet...
11-28-2017, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2017 02:12 AM by hannah77.)
Hi Maggie,

It's nice to see you posting again! I'm coming to the end of a cut phase that I started in September and hopefully this weekend I can get around to measurements and an update. We'll see as it's the weekend before finals so I may just have to wait until the 8th or 9th. But, I wanted to say hi!

And not to hijack your journal, but wanted to ask Tereza a question. Tereza, are you saying it took 16 months for you to be able to put weight on your knee? I fell at the end of September...one of those stupid mobile accidents where I was looking at my phone and stepped off a curb and took a major tumble. My hubby just stands there (instead of helping me up or asking if I was okay...in fact a stranger in a car asked if I was okay) and comments about how it's my fault for being on my phone. Geez, thanks a lot. Anyhow, I fell on both my knees, but especially my right one. My left one had a bruise, the right nothing. But, here it is 2 months later and I'm sure I look quite unaligned teaching my yoga classes because I can't put any weight on it (cows, cats, even child's pose can send shooting pains through my knee). I was just asking my doctor if I could maybe get an x-ray because it can't still be this bad if if was just a bruise. Then, I read your post....am I going to have to deal with this for another year before it gets better? Boo hoo! I remember several years ago when I twisted my ankle and for about a year, I could not sit Indian-style, there was just some lingering tweak in my ligaments or something.
11-28-2017, 09:56 AM
Hi Hannah! Sorry about your knee...
11-29-2017, 09:36 AM
(11-28-2017 02:11 AM)hannah77 Wrote:  Hi Maggie,

It's nice to see you posting again! I'm coming to the end of a cut phase that I started in September and hopefully this weekend I can get around to measurements and an update. We'll see as it's the weekend before finals so I may just have to wait until the 8th or 9th. But, I wanted to say hi!

And not to hijack your journal, but wanted to ask Tereza a question. Tereza, are you saying it took 16 months for you to be able to put weight on your knee? I fell at the end of September...one of those stupid mobile accidents where I was looking at my phone and stepped off a curb and took a major tumble. My hubby just stands there (instead of helping me up or asking if I was okay...in fact a stranger in a car asked if I was okay) and comments about how it's my fault for being on my phone. Geez, thanks a lot. Anyhow, I fell on both my knees, but especially my right one. My left one had a bruise, the right nothing. But, here it is 2 months later and I'm sure I look quite unaligned teaching my yoga classes because I can't put any weight on it (cows, cats, even child's pose can send shooting pains through my knee). I was just asking my doctor if I could maybe get an x-ray because it can't still be this bad if if was just a bruise. Then, I read your post....am I going to have to deal with this for another year before it gets better? Boo hoo! I remember several years ago when I twisted my ankle and for about a year, I could not sit Indian-style, there was just some lingering tweak in my ligaments or something.

Hey Hannah,

Sorry for your fall! I was going down a small set of stairs, holding my little one and tripped. Fell on both knees (kid didn’t fall). No bruise, no swelling, no nothing. I could walk, squat, run but no way I could kneel down. In the first days I couldn’t touch a certain spot right below the knee cap. I asked my practitioner, she said it was probably nothing that we could fix and that eventually would get better. The spot that was very painful lost some sensation, but now I can kneel. Yes, it took that long... I hope yours doesn’t take that long!

Yoga was very limited. Using something soft under the knee did help, though.

Team EM2WL
11-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Maggie, the best exercise is the one that you enjoy and can stick to. If you love body pump, just go for it! Meanwhile adding some strength training on the side is excellent!

Team EM2WL
11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Exactly what I was thinking...but now there's a new wrinkle in that plan...somehow I have signed up for a sprint triathlon in August...so I guess from here on out, my training will be focused on that! Considering that I've been pretty much out of commission for close to a year, I'd say I've got my work cut out for me! Waiting for my trainer to get my new training plan together...although I do plan to keep strength training in the mix as much as I can! Muscle will definitely help me get through this! I also need to tweak my eating a bit...I've gotten into some bad habits that I need to correct.

Anyone who has experience in triathlon training, please chime in with some words of wisdom, I could sure use it right about now! I'm terrified and excited all at the same time!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adding a journal to help me in the aging.. never2late1952 5 70 Today 07:38 AM
Last Post: Tereza Toledo
  Anjacina's Journal Anjacina 11 2,084 03-23-2018 08:10 AM
  Kelly's Journal kcmsmith0405 73 15,785 01-31-2018 02:21 PM
  Yasmine's Journal Yas2 99 30,173 12-30-2017 11:07 AM