Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I doing this right?
01-08-2017, 11:29 PM
RE: Am I doing this right?
We don't celebrate Christmas either, but I can tell you that the whole end of the year thing, being out of our routine did get me a bit stressed out. And the fact that you feel more defined in different areas and the only one that has changed in a not so positive way is your midsection does tell me that some stress got to you. As women, we definitely get more affected by stress, our hormones make us more sensitive to it.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2017, 11:35 PM
(01-08-2017 11:29 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  We don't celebrate Christmas either, but I can tell you that the whole end of the year thing, being out of our routine did get me a bit stressed out. And the fact that you feel more defined in different areas and the only one that has changed in a not so positive way is your midsection does tell me that some stress got to you. As women, we definitely get more affected by stress, our hormones make us more sensitive to it.

In my last reply I additionally asked about water quantity, but I guess it cut off my message. I think I drink enough, 2cups of coffee, bottle or two of water at gym on workout days plus a couple cans of lacroix(love it!). Also added a couple HIIT sessions back in with my NROLW workout 3, B workout. Not sure if that's making me retain more water?? I've also never taken a workout break/week off like I've seen some people do?
01-09-2017, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 08:59 AM by Tereza Toledo.)
I love coffee as well, but it will dehydrate you. Huge fan of Lacroix (non-flavored), but I still drink more water than what you mentioned. A bottle or two at the gym is great, but it would be a plus to add a tad more of water through out the day. You could track it down with MFP if you like.

I believe the workout three includes strength and lower reps, right? That would definitely cause you to retain more water and it's ok. Usually by the third week of it, the body starts releasing it and you will feel less puffy. How long are the HIIT sessions that you are adding? How often? Depending on how much, it may be overkill help you retain. When I add cardio, that's when my body looks "fluffier".

Workout breaks are a must from time to time. I know it's hard to take them, but they will help you achieve better improvement overtime and avoid injuries and burnouts. During breaks, you don't need to slash your calories and you can do recreational exercise. Great reading on breaks and on water retention (make sure to click on the pin for full article): http://pin.it/EDnbgpU
http://pin.it/yDE7RHi

Team EM2WL
01-10-2017, 12:20 AM
(01-09-2017 08:57 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  I love coffee as well, but it will dehydrate you. Huge fan of Lacroix (non-flavored), but I still drink more water than what you mentioned. A bottle or two at the gym is great, but it would be a plus to add a tad more of water through out the day. You could track it down with MFP if you like.

I believe the workout three includes strength and lower reps, right? That would definitely cause you to retain more water and it's ok. Usually by the third week of it, the body starts releasing it and you will feel less puffy. How long are the HIIT sessions that you are adding? How often? Depending on how much, it may be overkill help you retain. When I add cardio, that's when my body looks "fluffier".

Workout breaks are a must from time to time. I know it's hard to take them, but they will help you achieve better improvement overtime and avoid injuries and burnouts. During breaks, you don't need to slash your calories and you can do recreational exercise. Great reading on breaks and on water retention (make sure to click on the pin for full article): http://pin.it/EDnbgpU
http://pin.it/yDE7RHi

I say two cups of coffee because it's most average, but(ahem)I can't always do that depending on the time of month because it makes me feel like I am jittery .
You are right workout 3 NROLW includes low reps(3x6) at higher weight, the HIIT is 15 minutes added at the end of program, workout A had more of a plymetric addition at the end of lifting and I was shocked that I could barely do it with all of the strength I have gained(I had however started my cut). Should I maybe not do the HIIT? If every workout is x4 and it takes me 1-1 1/2 weeks to
Complete(I do a barre class 1-2 other days) , I don't think I ever really get to that 3 week less puff stage?? Drinking more water helps to flush out excess then??
Thank you so much for your help and a boost to mostly strong but still not perfect ego!
01-10-2017, 09:55 AM
When I did NROWL, I didn't add anything other than what the prescribed workouts told me to do on the lifting days. Each phase focus on different achievements and that's actually what a periodized workout plan is. I did add some cardio in the non lifting days because I enjoyed and had time to do it. But, eventually it was getting me exhausted frequently. Nowadays (almost four years later), I just prioritize strength and do minimum cardio and I came to realize that it does make me gain weight or eat less. In the end, adding more cardio is a matter of preference. If you like barre, do it. If you like your HIIT, do it. If not, save it for certain phases, just to give the fat loss a boost. Some reading on more cardio to burn more: http://pin.it/FVon2Db

The extra water does help to flush the excess. Actually, when we burn fat, it has to come out someway, right, drinking bough water and eating enough fiber helps it to make the way out wink

Team EM2WL
01-10-2017, 04:24 PM
(01-10-2017 09:55 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  When I did NROWL, I didn't add anything other than what the prescribed workouts told me to do on the lifting days. Each phase focus on different achievements and that's actually what a periodized workout plan is. I did add some cardio in the non lifting days because I enjoyed and had time to do it. But, eventually it was getting me exhausted frequently. Nowadays (almost four years later), I just prioritize strength and do minimum cardio and I came to realize that it does make me gain weight or eat less. In the end, adding more cardio is a matter of preference. If you like barre, do it. If you like your HIIT, do it. If not, save it for certain phases, just to give the fat loss a boost. Some reading on more cardio to burn more: http://pin.it/FVon2Db

The extra water does help to flush the excess. Actually, when we burn fat, it has to come out someway, right, drinking bough water and eating enough fiber helps it to make the way out wink

So maybe during a cut I should strictly stick to lifting and the exact prescribed cardio added? I do like the barre workout becAuse I find the pace relaxing but it is definitely hard and I have wondered if it is not allowing proper rest time between lift session since I do on alternating days. Monday's class is followed by two rest days, but if I lift Tuesday then do another barre Wednesday and lift again Thursday or Friday without having taken a rest week maybe I am actually overdoing? There is body weight and resistance exercises as part of the class, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges. Sometimes I don't do all the reps of those if following a lift day, but maybe I should be doing it so close to a lift day anyway?
01-10-2017, 11:38 PM
The best thing is to listen to your body. It will give you signs like not enjoying the workouts, not being able to increase weights, hard time sleeping, feeling wired and constantly sore, for example. Those are all signs of overdoing.

If you like and enjoy barre, just keep doing it, but don't add more cardio beyond the workout plan you are following. I know it's hard to do kit, sometimes I feel more energetic and want to keep doing more and more, but a few hours later I end up feeling totally wasted, so no good.

Maybe you want to introduce a rest week from lifting in between phases in the near future?

Team EM2WL
01-11-2017, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 09:31 AM by Desi13.)
(01-10-2017 11:38 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  The best thing is to listen to your body. It will give you signs like not enjoying the workouts, not being able to increase weights, hard time sleeping, feeling wired and constantly sore, for example. Those are all signs of overdoing.

If you like and enjoy barre, just keep doing it, but don't add more cardio beyond the workout plan you are following. I know it's hard to do kit, sometimes I feel more energetic and want to keep doing more and more, but a few hours later I end up feeling totally wasted, so no good.

Maybe you want to introduce a rest week from lifting in between phases in the near future?

Thank you, I have I am not terribly sore if much at all but the HIIT session although short directly following a lift session I really am pooped. I felt like I should be able to it without struggling so much since everything else feels appropriately challenging and I have been increasing weights, but energy is definitely lower with cut. Like I said before, who knew!! That I exercised fairly similarly with 1800-1900 cals is beyond me!! I will try a rest week very soon.
01-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Yes, the feeling tired after what we perceive as normal workouts and activity is a clear sign that a break is a great idea. You can still be active during the break week, walks, yoga, bike rides, but no lifting and no formal workouts. Eats should stay the same.

You can align the break week with a vacation time, a week with more appointments or with kids around. Usually I keep mine for situations like that and it is a win-win.

Team EM2WL
01-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Okay friends, update! So it's approaching my four week cut at 15%, I ended up take a week break from formal workouts of any kind the week of my last entry. And let me tell you it was fabulous! I started drinking way more water than I had been(even though I felt like I was drinking enough), and I must've needed it because now I am thirsty like crazy if I don't keep up.
Tereza, you know what's going on sister!! And thank you. My bloat around the middle lessened significantly, but the scale hast moved much(1-3#) up down, average 2 down consistently. So that is all positive. Started last week back up with regularly workout routine and I thought I might be so weak and out of it but I picked up right where I left off. I think it best for me to not add any cardio, I will see once I go back up TDEE.
I would have liked to have seen more movement on my numbers, but there was a change so that proves that it is working. So here's my question?
Do I adjust TDEE to my current few pounds less or what was prior? I am pretty sure I adjust accordingly, also want to make sure my exercise is still moderate as I have been wondering with longer rests(70secs) between sets if it really counts as an hour lifting session? I lift 2-3 days and barre one to two. Some weeks are slightly different with the barre class(which is an hour), and then I would add a third lift day....