Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I doing this right?
01-24-2017, 09:50 AM
RE: Am I doing this right?
Yay, Desi! Consistency is paying off! Breaks make a huge difference, physically and psychologically. I took my own advice and took a break last week. No formal workouts whatsoever while eating the same. Back to the grind this week with more more energy and desire!

Water intake is huge. The less we drink, the more we hold, right? Keep drinking! Cardio is something that you should do if you really like and enjoy doing it, not because you think it's necessary to lose weight. Now lifting is a bit different, because it is proven that it makes a big difference in the fat loss outcome.

Usually you would recalculate your TDEE if you gain or lose 5 lbs or change your activity level consistently. Like you change your routine by adding one extra hour of working out a week and will keep doing it, then adjust. If it's a one time deal, there's no need. The rests between sets won't interfere in the TDEE adjustment, they basically are related to the periodization, if you are doing an endurance, hypertrophy or strength lifting phase. Here is some homework on periodization: http://pin.it/4qlImQD

You are in the right path, stay consistent!

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Okay wondering if I should try a cut again or not, back up at TDEE for a week, was hard the first few days to go back up but the last few I have been STARVING all day and when I wake up. I was thinking this means my metabolism is fired up again after a 4 week cut. Too soon to try again or try another 4 week cut and then a week break. Is a week long enough?
02-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Desi, yay on going up on the cals again! Yes, your body is burning like a well oiled machine. One week is great, you could go two before cutting again, if you feel like. It's up to you. I love the fact that you really embrace the cut for 4 and TDEE break system. How did the cut feel?

Team EM2WL
02-04-2017, 10:01 PM
(02-04-2017 02:11 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Desi, yay on going up on the cals again! Yes, your body is burning like a well oiled machine. One week is great, you could go two before cutting again, if you feel like. It's up to you. I love the fact that you really embrace the cut for 4 and TDEE break system. How did the cut feel?

Hi Tereza, my cut was fine, only a 2-3 pound loss and I would say that it may have gone up again this past week when I went back to TDEE but it's not "real" be cause that amount extra cals in a week to really cause that wouldn't have been possible. My stomach bloat lessened with my cut and I would say hasn't seemed to have returned with the same vigor as before. Still not what I would like ultimately, but less squooshy. Today I am hungry!!!! Maybe cut again tomorrowwink added a little(15) min cardio to my lift today, split before and after so I wouldn't burn out. Probably why I needed to few spoons of ice cream.
02-14-2017, 06:20 PM
(02-04-2017 02:11 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Desi, yay on going up on the cals again! Yes, your body is burning like a well oiled machine. One week is great, you could go two before cutting again, if you feel like. It's up to you. I love the fact that you really embrace the cut for 4 and TDEE break system. How did the cut feel?

So I'm in the beginning my second week of my next cut and honestly I'm feeling so frustrated again. When does the fat start to go away??? I feel like it's been long enough that I would be seeing much more composition change, more defintion in my arms and middle from lifting heavy for several months. With this round of cut I had a bit of a schedule change so I altered my cut to halfway between light to moderate calories. I have had some stress lately but I do feel I am generally very good and handling it, self care is important. But the gigantic roll I gained during reset in my stomach is just making me feel wretched. I would like to see some movement on the scale but I don't really care about the number but I look and feel bloated. I saw some pictures taken over this past weekend and I look in my face like I did when I was 9 months pregnant. Booooo and hisssss.
02-15-2017, 10:19 AM
How long did you reset for? As frustrating as it is, it will take more than two weeks to go down. Also, it's good to keep in mind that the core muscle gained helped push out the roll that you see, right?

How much the stress level affected you? Hard to tell, but it does make a big difference (I've just recently uncovered a huge blind spot I have - stress denial, I still don't know how to change it).
As frustrating as it may be not to see the results ASAP, stick to it, let go of the dieting mentality, it's not all or nothing and it takes time.

On fat loss, I posted this about a month ago:

"I posted this message on Facebook and thought it would be something to share here as well:

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about fat loss and we got to one of the goals that sometimes seem impossible to reach: lose.the.belly.

Besides the fact that we want to lose fat all over, the part that most of us tend to obsess is the belly. It's were many of us store fat (that could be useful if we were stranded in an island). It's also were our hormones and stress make sure to bother us most.

Usually the belly fat is the last one to go. At least it feels that way. Actually, it even feels like it gets bigger before getting smaller. We see our upper body leaning out, the legs leaning and the mid section seems to be going nowhere, at least for a while.

A lot of it is fat tissue, so focusing on muscle building all over will speed up our metabolism and increase the calorie burn (even when we are sleeping or resting), which will make us burn the stored fat and eventually get to the belly fat.

Building bigger and thicker muscles in the arms, butt, legs, back will help get the belly going. Plus the dense muscle tissue will make you look tighter and smoother. Think of making your bed without straightening the first layer of covers. The top won't look smooth. Once you straighten the bottom, the top looks like a hotel bed. So improving our core muscles will make the belly look flatter in the end.

Just dropping weight without increasing muscle may make the belly look smaller temporarily, but not for long. Like when we get a stomach bug for a few days. We look so slim and belly free until we get better and eat normally again.

Patience and consistency in following our plan is what will help us get there, maybe a little too slowly, but definitely surely and for life.

Then there's the lose skin subject too. Lose slow = less lose skin, but loose weight too fast, the skin will not have time to adjust and will end up just hanging there.

But it can be done! Staying consistent with our strength training, keeping our macros on check,drinking plenty of water,keeping up with protein, fiber and being careful not to drop the calories too low (TDEE minus 15% at most) is what will make our bodies burn the fat!

http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-lift...ight-loss/

Team EM2WL
02-15-2017, 05:00 PM
(02-15-2017 10:19 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  How long did you reset for? As frustrating as it is, it will take more than two weeks to go down. Also, it's good to keep in mind that the core muscle gained helped push out the roll that you see, right?

How much the stress level affected you? Hard to tell, but it does make a big difference (I've just recently uncovered a huge blind spot I have - stress denial, I still don't know how to change it).
As frustrating as it may be not to see the results ASAP, stick to it, let go of the dieting mentality, it's not all or nothing and it takes time.

On fat loss, I posted this about a month ago:

"I posted this message on Facebook and thought it would be something to share here as well:

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about fat loss and we got to one of the goals that sometimes seem impossible to reach: lose.the.belly.

Besides the fact that we want to lose fat all over, the part that most of us tend to obsess is the belly. It's were many of us store fat (that could be useful if we were stranded in an island). It's also were our hormones and stress make sure to bother us most.

Usually the belly fat is the last one to go. At least it feels that way. Actually, it even feels like it gets bigger before getting smaller. We see our upper body leaning out, the legs leaning and the mid section seems to be going nowhere, at least for a while.

A lot of it is fat tissue, so focusing on muscle building all over will speed up our metabolism and increase the calorie burn (even when we are sleeping or resting), which will make us burn the stored fat and eventually get to the belly fat.

Building bigger and thicker muscles in the arms, butt, legs, back will help get the belly going. Plus the dense muscle tissue will make you look tighter and smoother. Think of making your bed without straightening the first layer of covers. The top won't look smooth. Once you straighten the bottom, the top looks like a hotel bed. So improving our core muscles will make the belly look flatter in the end.

Just dropping weight without increasing muscle may make the belly look smaller temporarily, but not for long. Like when we get a stomach bug for a few days. We look so slim and belly free until we get better and eat normally again.

Patience and consistency in following our plan is what will help us get there, maybe a little too slowly, but definitely surely and for life.

Then there's the lose skin subject too. Lose slow = less lose skin, but loose weight too fast, the skin will not have time to adjust and will end up just hanging there.

But it can be done! Staying consistent with our strength training, keeping our macros on check,drinking plenty of water,keeping up with protein, fiber and being careful not to drop the calories too low (TDEE minus 15% at most) is what will make our bodies burn the fat!

http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-lift...ight-loss/

I reset for about ten weeks, I wasn't coming from a super low deficit but a deficit nonetheless. I did not gain much as all in the beginning which was super encouraging and I took it slow.. I am not doing any additional
Cardio, lift three days , one barre workout(vs the two I was doing, so I adjusted Cala a little bit, just 100). Drinking lots of water, my macros are in super check. Bought a food scale a week ago to make sure I wasn't overestimating anything and I have pretty spot on. I'm a former/part time chef so eyeballing measurements for food cost and serving purposes must be accurate and I've had years of practice!
02-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Desi, I reposted an excerpt of this older thread, but I believe you may benefit from it as well: http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...?tid=12226

Also this article may shed some light: http://eatmore2weighless.com/ready-to-give-up/

Team EM2WL
02-19-2017, 09:50 PM
(02-16-2017 10:30 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Desi, I reposted an excerpt of this older thread, but I believe you may benefit from it as well: http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...?tid=12226

Also this article may shed some light: http://eatmore2weighless.com/ready-to-give-up/

Thank you again for all your support and info. I honestly don't know if I could keep my head on straight without it happy
It looks like from the links you sent I should maybe do a bit longer of a cut this time and then take a couple week break?
I am think about changing up my routine outside of my lifting regiment. Eliminate my barre workout and do more yoga and walking as the weather becomes nicer where I live.
I did unfortunately have a more than average stressful week last week due to a death of a friend and I feel like any possible chance of physical change on my part just wouldn't couldn't happen, and frankly I didn't give a damn, it's been quite sad.
It was easy to keep my diet/macros in check but the emotions were running high understandably.
I'm just going to keep my head down and try not to get so wrapped up in a timeline.
I was wondering though so many people have posted about being able to check their TDEE with a Fitbit or similar device. I really felt like I was accurate when I reached t and hung out there for a while but sometimes I wonder???
02-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Desi, I'm am so sorry for your loss, losing a friend does change everything and will add way more stress than you can imagine. In moments of stress, it is better to just chill (take a break from tracking and cutting), giving your mind and body time to rest and process what is happening. Or at least stay at maintenance to help yourself heal.

The Fitbit can give you a good approximate reading, but remember, it doesn't know how much muscle mass you have or how much lifting you do or afterburn. Even for Pilates, it doesn't pick up what's going on in each session. Therefore, in this cases, your TDEE may be higher that what it gives you and if you cut without using those factors in considerention, you may create a much higher deficit that what you would actually want and need. Remember, focus on muscle and fat loss, not weight loss.

You are doing great, my friend. Life is throwing some curveballs at you and you are learning how to keep going with your journey, adjusting to what comes in a way that it's not all or nothing, that keeps you going towards your goals, even though the pace may be a bit slower.

Team EM2WL