Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I doing this right?
04-01-2017, 09:58 AM
RE: Am I doing this right?
Hi everyone
So I was able to take a TDEE break for about a week and a half before I had to start changing my diet for health reasons. I was having trouble going back up to TDEE right away feeling bloated and too full so I was going gradually for a few days.
I am now having to do a restricted gut healing protocol for six weeks, I am about ten days in. It suuuucks! Except that my stomach is settling down a bit which is good but the variety, or lack thereof rather is not working for me and my only carbs can come from non starchy vegetables. So calorie wise I am really suffering. I am not hungry at all but stuffed and cannot possible eat that much meat to keep up. No nuts, no dairy, no beans. I don't like eggs that much but I do add them here and ther.
So my calories are barely at BMR which is terrible and I am weaker during lifting. This was fine when I thought I was trying for a week, but my doctor wants me to see it through for another five since I have seen some improvement. What do I do if anything? I don't know how to get my calories up, and I don't want to lose my muscle. Heeeeelllp!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Desi, are you having IBS issues? What's your diagnostic?

It's hard when we have to change things around for health issues, but it surely can be done. Make sure you stick to full fat, non-diet versions of the foods you are eating.

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
04-01-2017, 12:54 PM
(04-01-2017 12:32 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Desi, are you having IBS issues? What's your diagnostic?

It's hard when we have to change things around for health issues, but it surely can be done. Make sure you stick to full fat, non-diet versions of the foods you are eating.

Hi there,
I have had some issues for a while that come and go but bloating is the one and acid reflux quite a bit. I stopped coffee and a few other things and it didn't really help so in exploring other possibilities, SIBO, Candida, or even Thyroid( but all my numbers checked out), I am trying eliminating any triggers to start fresh. It has helped a bit already but the other part is really hard. I already eat Whole Foods and rarely anything processed, eat avocado, use coconut oil, full fat everything. Usually I would have added some whole grains or sweet potatoes(one of my staples), beans to round things out but they are off the table for now. Doesn't mean forever but I am worried about undoing all the work I've put in so far.
04-03-2017, 02:16 AM
What about seeds? Hemp / chia / flax / sunflower, etc? If you don't like them in raw form, there are also sunflower butters on the market.
04-03-2017, 03:54 PM
I can do chia but it's not that high inorotein, and no seeds for now, boo.
04-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Where go green peas stay? I know now beans, but how about green peas? I've been eating lots of frozen ones and they are great! Tofu? I press it for 30 minutes to get the water out and then sauté, love it. The other day I bought some couscous and didn't know how high in protein they were. I'm not sure if would fit your protocol, though.

Team EM2WL
04-03-2017, 05:49 PM
(04-03-2017 05:03 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Where go green peas stay? I know now beans, but how about green peas? I've been eating lots of frozen ones and they are great! Tofu? I press it for 30 minutes to get the water out and then sauté, love it. The other day I bought some couscous and didn't know how high in protein they were. I'm not sure if would fit your protocol, though.

Peas are considered starchy but I have been adding a little pea protein here and there. Cannot do soy right or any wheat.
It's all temporary, ideally but I'm really afraid of undoing my reset and going so low for six weeks. I've eaten well all day and and still have 1,400 calls left. Still have dinner to go, chicken and roasted veggies with plenty of olive oil.
05-05-2017, 05:31 PM
(04-03-2017 05:03 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Where go green peas stay? I know now beans, but how about green peas? I've been eating lots of frozen ones and they are great! Tofu? I press it for 30 minutes to get the water out and then sauté, love it. The other day I bought some couscous and didn't know how high in protein they were. I'm not sure if would fit your protocol, though.

Another update friends!
So it's been about 6-7 weeks for my diet restrictions. I was very strict in following what doctor recommended, no wheat, no grains of any kind, no dairy, no soy, no sugar, very limited to no fruit, no caffeine, no seeds. Basically meat and vegetables, mainly sticking to greens and cruciferous veg.
I have also been taking certain supplements to facilitate in the repair of my stomach lining.
Now, I have to say in some areas I have improved immensely. Less anxiety, no reflux at all, my skin looks amazing, I never bloat on anything I eat, PMs almost nonexistent.
And the downsides, I have struggled this entire time to keep my calories up while
Continuing my heavy lifting, in fact I have finally finished my NROLW and am about to start Strong(this ending up being a lifting rest week due to bad schedule).
I have lost about 8 pounds. This actually feels great, however know that it is likely only due to my cals not being where they should be, is a bit of a slap in the face.
My TDEE should be 2250 and I've been averaging between 1500-1700, horrendous. I eat a lot of food, full fat everything but honestly am so full I can't possibly add more, I think I would actually be sick. I found a Paleo protein powder that has really saved me getting enough protein. At the very least my protein is always very close if not spot on.
I do not recover as quickly even though I am keeping with my workouts, and I am a bit tired. But I can't really be building much if I'm at a deficit, right?
So now I go back to doc to update her and then talk about reincorporating all the other foods to see if I still stay okay or if any of those things bother me.
I was thinking I would start going back up to TDEE even slower than I did during reset. I mean if I add a couple serving of grains I'll
Probably be right at TDEE.
So what do you think?
05-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Good job on finishing NROWL, yay! The last phase is intense, but you can definitely Italy see a change.

How do you feel about reincorporating foods? Does it cause you anxiety? Definitely the big deficit created is the culprit for feeling tired and not recovering fast. Nope, the body can't really build much in such a deficit, at most it can maintain what you already had (which is a good thing though).

Yes, take a very slow approach when increasing, give your body time to adjust with the bigger volume of food, specially to avoid bloating.

I'm glad you've seem overall improvement in your condition!

Team EM2WL
05-07-2017, 09:24 AM
(05-07-2017 08:54 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Good job on finishing NROWL, yay! The last phase is intense, but you can definitely Italy see a change.

How do you feel about reincorporating foods? Does it cause you anxiety? Definitely the big deficit created is the culprit for feeling tired and not recovering fast. Nope, the body can't really build much in such a deficit, at most it can maintain what you already had (which is a good thing though).

Yes, take a very slow approach when increasing, give your body time to adjust with the bigger volume of food, specially to avoid bloating.

I'm glad you've seem overall improvement in your condition!
Not worried at all to reincorporate, I've had some decaf coffee and some rice so far and been fine. I have always been an everything in moderation person so it was harder to stick to just meat and green veg for so long.. I've never had a huge sweet tooth so I just enjoy whatever desserts I want whenever I want. I don't eat anything processed really(although from time to time everyone need some Cheetos-I LOVE), the main difference in adding things back in will be grains, beans and some bread. The dairy I'm not sure about. Milk and I never really got along, but yogurt seemed okay. Curious to see that one in particular. I do honestly think my guts have just been beat up from a few things that have built up over the last few years and hopefully I've been able to heal and reset everything. Between some severe stress and several rounds of antibiotics for sinus infections(antibiotics made me feel almost as bad as sinus infection), I think I probably did a number on myself.
So do you think I need to do a full reset again? Or just work my way back up slowly and go from there?
Thank you!