Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I doing this right?
03-07-2017, 06:18 PM
RE: Am I doing this right?
(02-20-2017 09:31 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Desi, I'm am so sorry for your loss, losing a friend does change everything and will add way more stress than you can imagine. In moments of stress, it is better to just chill (take a break from tracking and cutting), giving your mind and body time to rest and process what is happening. Or at least stay at maintenance to help yourself heal.

The Fitbit can give you a good approximate reading, but remember, it doesn't know how much muscle mass you have or how much lifting you do or afterburn. Even for Pilates, it doesn't pick up what's going on in each session. Therefore, in this cases, your TDEE may be higher that what it gives you and if you cut without using those factors in considerention, you may create a much higher deficit that what you would actually want and need. Remember, focus on muscle and fat loss, not weight loss.

You are doing great, my friend. Life is throwing some curveballs at you and you are learning how to keep going with your journey, adjusting to what comes in a way that it's not all or nothing, that keeps you going towards your goals, even though the pace may be a bit slower.

Just a check in here, it's been four weeks of 15% cut at at a lower end moderate activity level. There have no changes whatsoever, boo. Going to do another four weeks and then a break. All my macros, water, measuring have been spot on. But the stressssss!! Should I even be bothering trying to cut right now? I'm a little worried that this past week it's too easy to eat my cut and some days hard to reach it without really trying, whereas weeks prior I might still be a bit hungry. The old slippery slope....
Also as far as stress I wouldn't say there is any end to it, all very normal everyday parental struggles wink and you all know that that struggle is real! Some days better than others. But honestly could it be holding me back this much? Am I missing something or is there going to be the magical whoosh as I approach 8 weeks? I only lost at four weeks last time when I took my break(very little which did end up returning). Maybe I really need to commit to only my three lift days and nothing else. No barre no occasional HIIT?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2017, 10:15 AM
There's no way to get rid of all the stress, specially when you are a parent (I know exactly what you mean, it's part of my life). There are ways of copying viewing it in a different way, but a totally stress free life is not a reality. Is this the right time to cut? Only you can tell.

I'm glad you are planning to include a TDEE break. Fat loss/weight loss isn't necessarily linear and you don't get to pick where the loss come from. How's your protein going? During a cut it's imperative to hone int protein, macros and fiber intake.

Anyway, here is a great thread on what to expect when hitting cut (I don't remember if I shared this with you or not): http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...hp?tid=477

Tereza Toledobig grin lovestruck
Team EM2WL
Certified EM2WL Personal Trainer and Coach
Here is my journey: http://eatmore2weighless.com/tereza/
03-08-2017, 10:51 AM
(03-08-2017 10:15 AM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  There's no way to get rid of all the stress, specially when you are a parent (I know exactly what you mean, it's part of my life). There are ways of copying viewing it in a different way, but a totally stress free life is not a reality. Is this the right time to cut? Only you can tell.

I'm glad you are planning to include a TDEE break. Fat loss/weight loss isn't necessarily linear and you don't get to pick where the loss come from. How's your protein going? During a cut it's imperative to hone int protein, macros and fiber intake.

Anyway, here is a great thread on what to expect when hitting cut (I don't remember if I shared this with you or not): http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/show...hp?tid=477
My macros are on point....
It's just I am worried that it's been a struggle calorie wise to get t my cut the last week or so and I want to make sure my metabolism isn't adjusting to it as normal.. last time it was harder to stay at cut, now it's too easy and hard to even get there some days. Not hungry.
03-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Anything that you do for a certain amount of time becomes the new normal. Workouts, calories... if you only eat at cut, it becomes your new maintenance.

Team EM2WL
03-08-2017, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 04:01 PM by ibtmas.)
Hello desi!! i can totally understand your situation as we are rowing the same boat!! you are lucky to see some loss during your first cut, i gained 1 kg, and now when i'm in the second week of my second cut again gained 1 kg and no inches loss. i am not at all freaked at the scale weight because i am glad that at least the inches are the same!!! where i do see progress are my pics taken before reset and during the cut. Did u take your pictures? i'll keep you updated with my progress (hope soon) and am curious to know about yours too.....Keep going!!
03-08-2017, 08:32 PM
(03-08-2017 04:00 PM)ibtmas Wrote:  Hello desi!! i can totally understand your situation as we are rowing the same boat!! you are lucky to see some loss during your first cut, i gained 1 kg, and now when i'm in the second week of my second cut again gained 1 kg and no inches loss. i am not at all freaked at the scale weight because i am glad that at least the inches are the same!!! where i do see progress are my pics taken before reset and during the cut. Did u take your pictures? i'll keep you updated with my progress (hope soon) and am curious to know about yours too.....Keep going!!

Hi there I wish I could say my clothes were even slightly more comfortable I wouldn't Be complaining. But so far nada. I was going to do a longer cut this time 8 weeks, then take a break, but I'm a little worried that that might be too long for me since it's become a little easier to do my cut, whereas last time it took a bit and then when I took my TDEE break I was ravenous all over agin, meaning my metabolism was super happy.
03-19-2017, 01:43 PM
(03-08-2017 01:11 PM)Tereza Toledo Wrote:  Anything that you do for a certain amount of time becomes the new normal. Workouts, calories... if you only eat at cut, it becomes your new maintenance.

Another check in. 6 weeks at 15% this time, 4 weeks last time with about a week and a half TDEE break. No losses, no gains. Heavy lifting 3-4 days, no barre really. Macros, water, and weighing everything I can. Feeling frustrated but also feel like I need another TDEE break for a while to get an even better handle on my stress levels. I have days where I feel it more and am aware, but if I'm honest, for my life right now there is no end in sight for the handful of things on my plate. So managing them is what I can do and any additional stuff(measuring like crazy, feeling frustrated at no loss when cutting, e.t.c) certainly cannot be helpful and is probably harming me. So why shouldn't I take a break?
Also, if I just stay there, won't it all eventually catch up to itself where it's supposed to be anyway? Is it possible that cutting isn't always necessary to see fat loss? That if you are consistently eating at your TDee(with adjustments made for loss and gains) that you end up where you're supposed to be anyway?
03-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Desi, I feel your frustration but I also see that you have a lot going on and maybe this is not the best time for a cut. A break would do you wonders! Either a maintenance break (eating at TDEE, doing your workouts) or a chill break (not logging, intuitive eating, still doing your workouts, but focusing on self care and listening to your body). Once you feel ready to go into another phase, you move on.

Cutting isn't always necessary for fat loss. You can definitely stay at TDEE, focus on lifting and let the body do the work. Eventually it catches up. It's called body recomposition. It does take longer than bulking/cutting cycling, but you will see changes over time. It's a perfect choice for when you just don't want to go into a full cut but still want to see results. It's a slower process.

I've been sitting at TDEE while lifting for the last 2 years and I'm seeing lots of changes (even though they don't show right away and sometimes it feel like nothing is changing). Here and there I add a short cut week or two, I get very strict with logging and proteins and I see changes in the mirror and how my clothes feel. But I'm staying away from the scale. Honestly, that's one of the best things I did because it will not reflect my true progress and it will only add stress, no matter if it goes up or down.

This article talks about matching eats and workouts to your goals http://eatmore2weighless.com/matching-ea...ing-goals/

Team EM2WL
03-22-2017, 01:46 AM
Thankyou Tereza, this is so helpfull as i am going through the same........even though i too am not seeing any changes (some days are so hopefull and some are awfull) i am consistent with my strength workouts but i was wondering if i should add some cardio while eating the same to give a little boost to fat loss as well as stress?
03-22-2017, 08:29 AM
My answer to cardio is always the same: if you love it, do it. Cardio is. To necessary for fat loss, let the lifting do it for better and longer lasting results. Adding 30 min walks, bike rides, yoga, dance, Zumba or any other activity to help reduce stress is a good thing to do, as long as you are not cutting down the lifting to do it or you are not doing for the weight loss reason. Always think: cardio for fun, weights to transform.

Also, depending on how much cardio you add, you will need to readjust your intake, more cardio will require more food. This is a great article about the hierarchy of fat loss: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-much-ca...-fat-loss/

Team EM2WL